Howdy all,

I recently bought a Fender MIM Strat from a local used instrument store, and I have to say it's great. There was a broken tone pot on it, but they fixed it at cost.

But now that I have it home and am playing with the electronics, I noticed that the lowest tone pot, the one he replaced, (furthest from the bridge) only works in positions 2,3, and 4. I thought it was supposed to work on the bridge? But maybe I'm wrong. I've never had a 1v 2t config before, so maybe somebody out there knows something I don't?

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks all!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
its not supposed to work in bridge.

there is a mod so it works in bridge also though. dont have a link right now. hopefully someone will post it. just add one simple wire ad it makes it control bridge also.

very easy did it to m strat.

ayone have the seymourduncan link?
misread

it only works with the middle pickup so it only effects the positions that include that pickup

there is a mod that requires putting a wire between two lugs on the selector switch that allows you to use it for both the bridge and middle pickup
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 19, 2009,
Quote by nathanlamb01098
its not supposed to work in bridge.

there is a mod so it works in bridge also though. dont have a link right now. hopefully someone will post it. just add one simple wire ad it makes it control bridge also.

very easy did it to m strat.

ayone have the seymourduncan link?

Aha.

I was just wondering because the closest pot works in the neck, so I assumed the tone pot furthest away worked for the bridge. It's good to know!

I was just kind of worried because the shop I bought it from has questionable service and gets mixed reviews from the community. I wouldn't put it past them to put a fake pot in there and just wire it up, especially since it was at cost.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn

I was just kind of worried because the shop I bought it from has questionable service and gets mixed reviews from the community. I wouldn't put it past them to put a fake pot in there and just wire it up, especially since it was at cost.

If that's the case the you should just learn to do that stuff yourself, it's quite easy to learn
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
If that's the case the you should just learn to do that stuff yourself, it's quite easy to learn

I'm in the process. Before my saudering iron broke, I was halfway through a pickup change with my Ibanez GiO. Now it just makes a buzzy thin sound.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
In the original style Strat wiring the bridge pup doesn't get a tone pot. A lot of Strats nowadays come standard with wiring that lets one tone pot affect the neck, and the other the middle and bridge.

It's an easy enough mod to make if you want it on your Strat.

Here's the original wiring (How yours is most likely wired):
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0131002B/SD0131002BPg2.pdf

And here's the wiring used now on the Standards:
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0107400_02C/SD0107400_02CPg2.pdf

The only difference is the extra bit of wire on the blade switch to jump from the middle pup to the bridge pup pin.
Last edited by stratman7 at Oct 20, 2009,