okay so i've been playing guitar since june of 2008 and i've been told i've done well since i've started. i can play some solos from Alice in CHains and Soundgarden songs and play the complete songs to them. i guess i'm not to bad but i know there's people out there way better than me who have been playing guitar for the same amount of time.

now, here's my issue: my strumming. i can strum down pretty good, if not as normal as anybody else. but strumming up and doing both strumming at the same time (if you know what i mean), my pick starts to get underneath the strings and lift them up a bit and make a terrible noise as a result. i just can't get it down pat, ****!!!!

so yeah, what are some tips that can help me get better at strumming in general? should i just keep practicing the chords to the songs i play or what?

btw i'm gonna be rhythm in a jam band soon enough and so i don't wanna be the guy who can be easily replaced or played without, even these guys totally dig the riffs i make up.
Find a strum pattern from songs you like and just practice going up and down in time, slow at first and then get faster. Always start slow and work your way up.

And try not to let so much of your pick get caught under the strings, only a small portion of it should be sticking out anyways
Last edited by skomskom at Oct 20, 2009,
try to keep your thumb over as much of the pick as possible. personally, i like a quarter of an inch showing and it suits me, but thats just me
Quote by DavidsonTFP

now, here's my issue: my strumming. i can strum down pretty good, if not as normal as anybody else. but strumming up and doing both strumming at the same time (if you know what i mean), my pick starts to get underneath the strings and lift them up a bit and make a terrible noise as a result. i just can't get it down pat, ****!!!!

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem. People have recommended: angle the pick, use a very thin pick, use a very thick pick, use the rounded edge of a pick, use large sweeping picking motions form the elbow instead of the wrist...all kinds of advice. The up-pick on the high strings...is a bear for me.

My most successful approach thus far (take this with a grain of salt because I am n00b) is to angle the pick about 45-degrees and use the rounded edge, instead of the pointed tip. I know this reeks of douchebagness but...my wife bought me a dozen "pick of destiny" picks as a joke...and oddly enough, I like the rounded part of the devil horns for strumming. They are of medium thickness.

I found this problem caused me to get frustrated and play Hard and fast causing me to ruin my picks so yeah Slow and Build up Jumping in and failing and learning nothing was my problem and Pick of Destiny Picks are awful but they are amazing if you use the coiled horns.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic