So I have an old (50s-60s) harmony acoustic I rescued from my grandfathers closet many months ago.
It has 3 major issues right now: bent tuners, worn frets and a warped bridge. The first 2 should be easy fixes, or at least easy to get information on. The warped bridge is proving difficult to find information on how to exactly fix my problem.
The bridge is dipping foward toward the sound hole, I attempted to shim it but that didnt fix my problem. Normally I'd just leave it, but you can drive a city bus between the strings and the fretboard.

I thought I saw a post or a webpage that showed i would have to cut out the section, replace it, and reinforce it so it doesnt happen again. But I'm not sure
I would suggest posting a picture. There are a lot of inventive kids on this forum that will be more then happy to help if you help them get off to pictures of old acoustics.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Yes- pics, definitely. We don't know what to tell you unless we can see what you're dealing with. And we all like seeing old guitars.

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by dachristmasfish
you can buy acoustic guitar bridges from stewmac (www.stewmac.com) pretty cheap. As said, post some pictures so we know what you are dealing with

Well its not the bridge itself as much as the wood beneath it. You can get a good view of it in the second pic (forgive the glue and shim remains, i did this like 10 miuntes ago) Basically the wood by the holes is raised slightly, and then slopes down toward the sound hole before leveling back off. I'm fairly certain the bridge plate is worn to hell, and i suppose the top itself is damaged to.

The question is can it be repaired (i know of the plate mate from stew mac, though i doubt it reverses damage, just prevents it....which is useless to me now.) and if so, how would i go about doing it? Or do i just have to replace the whole shebang?
I've heard of people using steam irons and large clamps to steam and re-bend parts, but it seems dangerous, even to me.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
I've heard of people using steam irons and large clamps to steam and re-bend parts, but it seems dangerous, even to me.

Well the way I see it, if the guitar is messed up anyway he might as well go for it. Can't make things worse
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Quote by racertj5
Well the way I see it, if the guitar is messed up anyway he might as well go for it. Can't make things worse

Well, I'd like to get this thing fixed properly so i can give it back to him as a surprise.

EDIT: well i think i solved my problem. I think if i combine this method http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/BeckerCump/bulging_soundboard_repair.htm with the plate mate from stew mac i might be able to get it back to normal . Second opinions are welcome
Last edited by rylock4 at Oct 20, 2009,