Can I wrap electrical tape around the ends to reduce the humming?

pandora.com for kick ass free radio.
The fact that I know nothing about cables and how they work is what made me think that might help. I'll just have to get a better cable.

Thanks man.
Are you sure it's the cable? Bad cables usually cut out completely instead of getting noisy.
Ummm... when I touch the metal part the noise stops?
And when I do the same thing on my cable after a pedal the noise remains. I just kind of assumed $10 cable=hum.
Your guitar is probably not shielded properly. Does it also happen when you touch metal on the guitar?
Quote by grind
Ummm... when I touch the metal part the noise stops?
And when I do the same thing on my cable after a pedal the noise remains. I just kind of assumed $10 cable=hum.

Oooh, easy one.

That sounds to me like the ground connection to the bridge of the guitar is not connected. All electric guitars have a wire that usually runs from one of the pot casings (in other cases it might be from another part of the ground path) to the bridge or the claw in the back for the trem system. If that wire gets dislodged, your guitar will buzz unless you touch the metal sleeve of the cable or the jack plate.

If it is the cable, then there's a bad connection somewhere inside the plug ends, but usually they come totally loose and cut out completley.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
would buying a gold plated cable make a difference?
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Gold is an extremely efficient conductor of electricity, which is why a lot of electronic circuits are gold plated. It might increase the signal efficiency somewhat, although probably not enough so that it would be noticeable to the human ear. A gold plated cable would do nothing to help a bad ground. Fortunately, in a lot of guitars and basses, a bad ground connection is easy to fix. Hell, on my Fender basses, the ground wire isn't even soldered to the bridge. It just lays against it. Go figure.