Alright, I'm looking for a guitar with the following specs:

-Mostly soloist style. Deep cuts for fret access. The Schecter Hellraiser Avenger is cool too, with the more wild soloist shape.
-No V's (play a lot sitting down) or single cutout shapes (have an Epi LP)
-Preferably trim around the body.
-Non reversed headstock
-Bolt on neck (primarily because I know if my Epi LP didn't have it, I'd be screwed with insanely high action, I had to shim).
-24 fret preferred (don't see too many 24 fret bolt on)
-Ebony neck preferred
-No crazy inlays like vines over the entire neck and stuff like that. Even the cards on the Schecter Blackjack kind of bother me, but that one is fine.
-Needs atleast an inlay on 12th fret.
-EMGs or Blackouts (active).
-No middle pickup.
-No tremolo system.
-Tune-o-Matic or string through hardtail doesn't matter.

I realize there are a lot of aesthetic points here and I'm not just going for looks, but hey if it exists, I might as well get exactly what I want.

Let's say budget is... $700.

If there's specs that contradict each other (one guitar cannot have both) let me know, I kind of just threw out a bunch of stuff I prefer. Also if there is something I have preferred that you think might be a mistake or inferior to something else, let me know also!

Edit: Looks like the Schecter Hellraiser DELUXE fits these specs perfectly.
Last edited by Slormer at Oct 22, 2009,
Have you ever played a V sitting down? I find them much more comfortable than any other guitar. Classical position is much better anyway. They also have the best fret access.

If you have super high action your neck was probably warped. Its not the fact that it was bolt on.

Just my opinion on a few things you pointed out.
Every guitar I've used with one effected my picking negatively. I'd hit it with my pick when doing pinch harmonics because it was raised. Also it looks weird in my opinion. If it's fully sunken in with the body then I guess it's fine.

@chaos: I think you might have misunderstood. I was saying I was grateful for the bolt on neck because it allowed me to correct the high action of my guitar by shimming it. If it was set, I'd be screwed with high action.
Last edited by Slormer at Oct 20, 2009,
Creator of the Llamastack

Well there's the Jackson DKMG as an option that should of been obvious when you said soloist style so you know jackson has a variety of axes. Some of the Ibanez's have a fixed bridge that meet everything but the pups req but that can be fixed. Epiphone Prophecy series they have a soloist/strat body and I think they have a regular bridge and have a model with EMG's have to check on that. Schecter as you mentioned has some like that. those are just a few that come to mind.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by Slormer
Every guitar I've used with one effected my picking negatively. I'd hit it with my pick when doing pinch harmonics because it was raised. Also it looks weird in my opinion. If it's fully sunken in with the body then I guess it's fine.

That's a silly reason not to want it. You'll be used to that within a week of getting your guitar. A middle pickup (especially a single-coil) adds a lot of versatility. I wouldn't let that be a defining factor in your search.

On a side note, it does look weird if it's HHH instead of HSH. I don't know why.
**** man that is a good post. Anyway I'd recommend the Ibanez RGA42FM it just misses out on 2 points, the ebony fretboard and active pickups (which can be replaced with your remaining cash)
Possibly look at Washburn? Im not so sure...too lazy to find somehting with those exact specs. I know it's out there though
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by azn_guitarist25
**** man that is a good post. Anyway I'd recommend the Ibanez RGA42FM it just misses out on 2 points, the ebony fretboard and active pickups (which can be replaced with your remaining cash)

Ha yeah, I've seen some other posts like "yo deeg i needz a metal guit with sick pickupsss". The replies are usually the same quality. Nice suggestion, it's actually listed with active pickups on a couple sites too! The only gripe I have is the Ibanez style bridge isn't my favourite, but I'm sure I could get used to it easily. I'll have to play a couple of these suggestions.
Last edited by Slormer at Oct 21, 2009,
So you want no CRAZY inlays but you want one AT LEAST on the 12th fret. Ebony fretboard for some odd reason. No reverse headstock......

...I don't think there's a guitar that offers everything you want.
And what are you talking about bolt on necks having high action? Epi LPs are neck-thrus and the action can get really high
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by Circambria
So you want no CRAZY inlays but you want one AT LEAST on the 12th fret. Ebony fretboard for some odd reason. No reverse headstock......

...I don't think there's a guitar that offers everything you want.
And what are you talking about bolt on necks having high action? Epi LPs are neck-thrus and the action can get really high

Not sure what you didn't understand about the inlays thing. I don't like the insane fretboard decoration like the vines or anything, but would want some sort of marker. I like the look of the ebony fretboard, not very odd I don't think? I never said "bolt-ons have high action". I said I have an Epi LP bolt on, it had high action that had to be remedied by a shim. Again, I was saying I was appreciative of the bolt-on. Thanks for no suggestions!
Quote by Slormer
Not sure what you didn't understand about the inlays thing. I don't like the insane fretboard decoration like the vines or anything, but would want some sort of marker. I like the look of the ebony fretboard, not very odd I don't think? I never said "bolt-ons have high action". I said I have an Epi LP bolt on, it had high action that had to be remedied by a shim. Again, I was saying I was appreciative of the bolt-on. Thanks for no suggestions!

The action on my Epi LP is very low. No sanding down anything was needed. Les Pauls are not bolt ons btw. idk why you keep saying that.

And most guitars that have sets of actives on them are made for shredding. Expect unusual inlays.

...but at least you got to build your dream guitar with this thread.
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by Circambria
The action on my Epi LP is very low. No sanding down anything was needed. Les Pauls are not bolt ons btw. idk why you keep saying that.

And most guitars that have sets of actives on them are made for shredding. Expect unusual inlays.

...but at least you got to build your dream guitar with this thread.

I have a LP-100. It's bolt on. Sorry I wasn't clear on model. I never said unusual inlays weren't allowed, just not the full on vines and stuff. Things like the Schecter crosses are alright. The specs I listed aren't very unreasonable, the RGA42FM fits nearly every one. Again, thanks for no suggestions!
Quote by Slormer
I have a LP-100. It's bolt on. Sorry I wasn't clear on model. I never said unusual inlays weren't allowed, just not the full on vines and stuff. Things like the Schecter crosses are alright. The specs I listed aren't very unreasonable, the RGA42FM fits nearly every one. Again, thanks for no suggestions!

Ahh I see.

And no, I wouldn't really suggest a guitar to you because some of these things that bother you wouldn't really bother me at all. Like if I found a guitar that had all of those specs and was a great price but had a reverse headstock, I'd still buy it. And honestly, I think that vines that go across some of the Ibanezes are beautiful. Makes the guitar seem elegant.

And I don't know why you're hating on the V shapes. I've played some killer V's. Jackson makes some cool ones.
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by Slormer
Ha yeah, I've seen some other posts like "yo deeg i needz a metal guit with sick pickupsss". The replies are usually the same quality. Nice suggestion, it's actually listed with active pickups on a couple sites too! The only gripe I have is the Ibanez style bridge isn't my favourite, but I'm sure I could get used to it easily. I'll have to play a couple of these suggestions.

Ha yeah that is true it keeps slipping my mind that they are active. Imo the bridge on the Ibanez isn't as bad in fact I reckon it makes the guitar look a whole lot cleaner instead of having the TOM and stop tail on it.
T C Ellis Series 1. You can specify what you want on the Ebony fretboard and what pickups. Just about anything really. Prices start at £299 so Tim should be able to create what you want at around your budget. He's very knowledgeable and easy to work with.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I'm sure someon else has said this but I'll say it again just in case...

You do know that action is one of the easiest things to fix on any guitar right?(bolt-on,set-neck,neck-through.)

Quote by Circambria
Ahh I see.

And no, I wouldn't really suggest a guitar to you because some of these things that bother you wouldn't really bother me at all. Like if I found a guitar that had all of those specs and was a great price but had a reverse headstock, I'd still buy it. And honestly, I think that vines that go across some of the Ibanezes are beautiful. Makes the guitar seem elegant.

And I don't know why you're hating on the V shapes. I've played some killer V's. Jackson makes some cool ones.

You both have different opinions... If you're just going to continue to tell him how different you both are, don't bother posting. (unless you can help him with his new guitar.)

So what he doesn't like reverse headstocks, although it's arguable that they are better for certain things.)
So what he doesn't like vine inlays.
So what he doesn't like V's.
People that want a guitar have a picture of that guitar in their mind. He knows what he wants, so stop telling him what you would want...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Oct 22, 2009,
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I wasn't sure about the bolt-on/set neck thing. I was fairly sure that if the guitar had a set neck, it would be high enough quality that it would only need a bridge/truss adjustment (if the action was bad), and not be screwed needing a shim, but I just assumed play it safe with bolt-on.

Edit: Looks like the Schecter Hellraiser DELUXE fits these specs perfectly.
Last edited by Slormer at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by Commodity

These-

The DK2T is a more traditional Jackson guitar, while the DKMG has different inlays, inverted headstock and of course the EMG pups.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
The Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX should satisfy you.
It has an Ebony Fretboard, Inlay on the 12th fret, 2 Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts, TonePros Tune-O-Matic Fixed Bridge, trim around the body, Non reversed headstock, Set-Neck and mine came with perfect action btw.
The Hellraiser has a Rosewood fretboard and EMG's. Those are the only 2 major differences betwen the ATX and the Hellraiser
Totally go with the ATX, i wouldnt even bother with the FR on it, and its right around 700$ The only thing is that its not a bolt on, your choice though
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.