Hey UG,

I just upgraded my PC. I put a new motherboard in, the P5K(?) and upgraded the ram to 4 gigs. I also put windows 7 on it. It's about 6 years old. but I've been upgrading it for a while.

Now it keeps randomly restarting. I shut it off overnight and it works fine now. But, it seems the longer its on, the more frequent the restarts are, to the point where it is unusable.

I asked a friend, and he thinks it could be the power supply being too weak. I thought it could be over heating, but I doubt that is the case because it has never happened before.

any help?
Well if it's 6 years old there could be some ventilation issues if the case is collecting a lot of dust and has worn fans. Clean the dust out and maybe replace the fans. Make sure your power supply, CPU, and video card are up to date as well and has working fans.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
if it takes a while to shut off the first time, then quicker and quicker, something is overheating. or else my best guess is the power supply isnt strong enough.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I concluded that it is not dust. I removed all of the dust when I installed the new motherboard.

I can here my fan going right now.
Defintely sounds like something overheating. get RealTemp and tell us what it says your cpu is running at.

Your fans may be spinning...but they may not be spinning fast enough.

Did you apply new thermal paste?

Does anyone know of a program that would tell him his North and South bridge temps etc.?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 20, 2009,
New mobo and more RAM? First, how powerful is your power supply if it's potentially six years old, by the way? Second, cool that shit brah. If you've only got one fan going, with new gear, that may well not cut it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

is it safe to say that it is either the fan of the power supply?

I will look into the power supply specs tomorrow.
Maybe you need to clean inside your computer, there could be alot of dust in there
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons
He said he cleaned it out when he replaced the mobo.....

I would say that it is most likely the power supply or a fan not getting up to speed.

Also, just thought of this. When my friend built his computer a little fan came with the mobo for the north bridge. In the instructions it said that this fan was to be used when watercooling the north bridge so we didn't put it on. Upon initial startup we went into bios to look at the temps and his north bridge was at 70C and climbing pretty quick. We installed that little fan and no problems after that....

So i'm saying check and make sure the mobo didn't come with fans for anything else in particular.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I think the search bar can be used to fix it.

Also real classy title. "Nerds Welcome". Way to get people who know how to help in here!
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
my guess would be the CPU overheating...

check the heat sync, thermal paste, make sure the CPU and anything cooling it is seated properly...
Quote by dann_blood
I think the search bar can be used to fix it.

Also real classy title. "Nerds Welcome". Way to get people who know how to help in here!

I'm a nerd...I found the title amusing.

Also, this isn't some "where can i get drivers for such-and-such" or something linear like that. this problem could be a few things and he needs direct feedback from his symptoms. Now after he tries something to fix it we can see what it does and if it doesn't fix it we can deduce what is the next correct course of action.

Quote by theGlitch
my guess would be the CPU overheating...

check the heat sync, thermal paste, make sure the CPU and anything cooling it is seated properly...

I still think this is the top possibility. TS, please get a program that can monitor your temps and let us know what happens. RealTemp is good, SpeedFan should also work fine, and can monitor other temps as well. Although the other temps will probably just be labeled as temp1 temp2 temp3 etc. but at least you'll know if something is overheating.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian