I have to create scores for the songs I am getting assessed on for my music class, and was told that in order to reduce the size of the scores, I need to add "coda" to it. Ive seen that there are many different markers that go with coda, but I dont know what they mean. A google search was extremley unhelpful. Please provide examples of each type of coda function; I am not sure which one I need for my scores!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
A Coda provides an alternate ending for a piece. This is instead of rewriting a heap, just to have the lost couple of lines different.

There are multiple ways to direct someone to a Coda.

DC al Coda: Go back to the start, and when you get up to the bar that says "to Coda" skip the rest and go straight to the Coda

DS al Coda: Go to "the segno" and play from there until you get up to the bar that says "to Coda" skip the rest and go straight to the Coda

signifies the start of the Coda

Segno

You may also just have a second time bar or third or fourth etc..

This is when you play up to the end of "the first time" go back to the start of the repeat, skip "the first time" and go straight to the second time.
Last edited by mdwallin at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by mdwallin
A Coda provides an alternate ending for a piece. This is instead of rewriting a heap, just to have the lost couple of lines different.

If I use DC al fine, and it takes me to the START of the piece again, is there one that will let me go back to any section I choose?

EDIT: Im sorry I didnt see you had edited with more info. Thankyou I am pretty sure I understand
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
Last edited by METAL_MAN135 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by METAL_MAN135
If I use DC al fine, and it takes me to the START of the piece again, is there one that will let me go back to any section I choose?

DS al fine.

you can place your segno anywhere you like
Quote by mdwallin
when you get up to the bar that says "to Coda"

Can this be inserted in Guitar Pro or must it be written in?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
That should be fine. So with DS al fine, the reader must find the segno, then continue from there?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
yup
until the word fine comes up.

if you just want to go from the sengo to the finish, all you have to do is write DS, fine isn't needed.

to write "fine" is cutting the piece short.. its just like another word for STOP.
Sweet thats exactly what I need! Thankyou so much mdwallin!
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
You can also have a D.S. al Coda, which goes like so: Play song up to D.S., then go back to the segno, then continue to the Coda sign, which brings you to the coda. Utilize this with repeated sections, and you could have a potentially long song with few pages.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea