are humbuckers generally universal in width? im looking to switch the emg's out of my guitar and the pickups im looking at says in the description that it would support string spacings from 48mm to 54mm and i dont know my ass from my elbow when it comes to stuff like this, any help is very appreciated
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Generally speaking, yes. There is kind of an industry standard manufacturers adhere to- and most pickups are generally sized the same.

Anyhow, you should be good to go, but just to double check - what pickups are you looking at?
There are two spacings: standard and F-spaced.
If you have a wide, Gibson/tune-o-matic bridge, it's standard space.
If you have a Fender/Floyd style, it's a bit narrower and F-spaced.

It'll sound okay either way, but when you get the right spaced pickups the strings sit right over the poles.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

It'll sound okay either way, but when you get the right spaced pickups the strings sit right over the poles.

ill be putting them in an epi flying v with a tune o matic so it would be standard spacing correct?
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Quote by 4_string_fury
ill be putting them in an epi flying v with a tune o matic so it would be standard spacing correct?

yep.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by 4_string_fury

Yep, if they give you the option choose standard, but those megametal pickups have rails so pole spacing doesn't even really matter.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

Twaddle!
All humbuckers fit the same rings. F-spaced have wider set pole pieces for the wider FR bridge systems. Most pickup companies also make bridge and neck pups with different spacing to allow for the different taper. Just specify what sort you need when ordering.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

hm.... i am using IBANEZ JEM and it has a floyd so i guess mine are f-spaced...and is dimarzio fx of right spacing for me?
tired of finger speed exercise and turned into slow blues improvisation lately