i've had my 5150 for a while now but never really gave a good look at what tubes were in it. did that tonight, and from the previous owner it's got:

V1 - Ruby
V2 - Penta
V3 - Penta
V4 - Tung-Sol
V5 - EHX

all 12ax7

and a pair of TAD 6L6's in the power section.

did the tap test to them all and the Ruby in V1 is microphonic. what should i replace it with? and should i re-arrange any of the other pre-amp tubes to different spots?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Hey Mike!

Well thought out OP btw. I'm not sure exactly so bump for ya. Also post/check in the Mother of all 5150/6505s thread.

Lots of people love Tung Sols in V1.

What happens when you swap V1 with V4?

Did you do that tap test because of tone issues or just for the hell of it? If I were I would probably buy a JJ or 2 and maybe a JAN Phillips 5751 and play musical chairs a bit until you get what you want. You can also throw in 12AT7s if you want some smoother gain.

How would you change your tone if you could?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Mike!

Well thought out OP btw. I'm not sure exactly so bump for ya. Also post/check in the Mother of all 5150/6505s thread.

Lots of people love Tung Sols in V1.

Did you do that tap test because of tone issues or just for the hell of it? If I were I would probably buy a JJ or 2 and maybe a JAN Phillips 5751 and play musical chairs a bit until you get what you want. You can also throw in 12AT7s if you want some smoother gain.

How would you change your tone if you could?

^Alll of this. Put that Tung-Sol in V1 if you like your treble/presense.
I have a Tung-Sol in V1 and Shuguang 9th Gen Silver Dragons the rest of the way.
Two Black Sable SED 6L6 Power tubes. It smokes.

You can get the REAL Chinese 9th Gen 12ax7B (octo spacer) Silver Dragons from BOI Audioworks. They arn't cheap but for some reason these tubes are pretty hard to find.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

i'm gunna try swapping them on Friday.
Did you do that tap test because of tone issues or just for the hell of it?
little of both. my tone is alright but i can just tell that it's missing something. i knew atleast one of them had to have gone microphonic during shipping, since it was shipped with the tubes still in their sockets.
If I were I would probably buy a JJ or 2 and maybe a JAN Phillips 5751 and play musical chairs a bit until you get what you want.
that's what i was thinking as well. thanks
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.