this is going to seem stupid but i can not get a natural harmonic to come through my amp properly. when i play them either on an acoustic or my electric unplugged they come through fine and i love them but as soon as i turn my amp on they just seem to get lost in the mix (or hardly picked up by my guitar)

the guitar is a les paul copy and my amp is a Laney VC15. amp is normally set with full treble, middle never below 5, bass can be anywhere (0-10) depending on what im doing. ive changed alot of the tubes around in there too i.e. i think there is a JAN Phillips 5751 and i cant remember if i left the mullard CV4024 in there last time i messed around with it.

has anyone heard of any known issues with natural harmonics and this type of setup? i could go my whole life without ever needing to play one but every so often it's a nice way to finish a song in a slow and pretty way etc.
If you're playing with distortion, are you muting the other strings? Because unwanted string noise could make it sound sloppy.
Quote by ibz120
If you're playing with distortion, are you muting the other strings? Because unwanted string noise could make it sound sloppy.

Normally I would say this, but you can get them on acoustic or unplugged?

The unplugged part is especially interesting- it rules out technique issues. So what is left? Either the pickups, or the amp. There must be a problem between when the sound leaves the guitar and when it comes out the speaker. You're amp doesn't sound like it would be the problem, but have you tried playing around with different settings? Sometimes having the bass too high can overpower higher harmonics.

Also, have you tried playing through a different amp? Because if you play through another amp and you still can't hear them it might be the pickups. Do you know what pickups they are?
Quote by chainsawguitar

Also, have you tried playing through a different amp? Because if you play through another amp and you still can't hear them it might be the pickups. Do you know what pickups they are?

actually thats a good point. i do have an old solid state peavey combo so if i can get it to work on that tomorrow then i know its the pickups. the pickups are the Trevor Wilkinson PAFalikes that come on the Vintage guitars.

i flipped the magnet in my neck pickup (ala peter green) but even if thats a problem in the middle position, it shouldn't affect it when using just neck or bridge should it?

i dont play with distortion except for what happens on the clean channel or very low gain settings on drive.

i guess i have a day off tomorrow to have a play with different amps and guitars to isolate the problem but i think its likely to be the amp. just wondering whether anyone knew whether some amps were designed to cut out harmonics (some kind of filter??) . . .

thanks for the replies
Last edited by clear and blue at Oct 20, 2009,
been distracted by
a) tabbing out a song and
b) getting Line 6 pod farm for the computer
so i havent gotten round to checking different combinations but i can say that the same guitar does natural harmonics on my computer through pod farm so that is the guitar/pickups out of the equation.

that leaves the amp. anyone with a bit of technical knowledge know any particular circuits that are known to eliminate harmonics in an amp? current settings are bass 1, mids 6, treble 8 and its a voxish voiced amp with the tone/cut control fully open (i.e. not cutting any treble)
This should be obvious, but you're using a decent amount of gain right?
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
amp is clean. going to drive channel on low gain is worse

should this make a difference? i know i used to have a 5150 (an old peavey 120W metal amp) and pinch harmonics jumped right out of that with gain but i figure it should be possible clean too.

i mean i can get them out of an unplugged electric or an acoustic, and Pod Farm on a clean setting so why not my amp? high gain may make it easier but id imagine something similar through the amp to what i get unplugged shoudlnt be too much to ask?

EDIT: 100th post yay
Last edited by clear and blue at Oct 25, 2009,