What are the differences between a Floyd Rose and a Fender tremolo bridge (modern and/or vintage)? Can a Floyd Rose hit lower notes? What is the tonal difference when the tremolo bar is not being used?

Thanks.
A floyd rose will hit much higher and lower notes and will keep the guitar in tune, Van Halen style dive bombs on a fender's tremelo will most probaly put it horribly out of tune.
It can hit a lot lower notes and also keeps in tune better as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: "better" doesn't mean that Fender trem can't keep in tune. I used to be able to do whatever I wanted but for some reason nowadays my tremolo seems to ruin my tuning...
Last edited by Flibo at Oct 20, 2009,
If you are just going to be doing slight vibratos with the trem, a Fender style should be fine though I would get a set of locking tuners, a graphite nut, and maybe even some roller string trees if I were you. If you really plan to beat on the thing though, get a double locker like a Floyd.

Personally, if I was going to do any tremolo anything I'd want a Floyd but that's just me.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Floyds are alot more of a pain to set up, they have better tuning stability, they have a wider range, and they look alot different and are installed a bit differently.

Basically, everything about a floyd is different from a fender.

If you want slight vibrato, get a fender or (if you use it alot) a bigsby. If you want to be like EvH and Dime then you'll need a floyd.