i'd imagined this question has been asked loads of times before but...
is it actually worth learning a whole song or should i just learn the riffs that particularly challenge me in the given song? same with solo's? what are your thoughts?
thanks in advance
Depends, if you want to learn a song as a challenge, you obviously only learn the hard parts because the easier parts won't be a challenge...

But if you just want to play along with a song, it's pretty handy to learn it all the way.
Learn the whole song. It's good for practicing transitions between riffs and you get a better feel for osngs in general. It also prepares you for being in a band, where you'll need to play entire songs.
i learn mostly part cuz if your not in a band and ur playin for friends they only wanna hear a little bit of a song or the lose there attention span
Bryce
Quote by pandora_grunt
Learn the whole song. It's good for practicing transitions between riffs and you get a better feel for osngs in general. It also prepares you for being in a band, where you'll need to play entire songs.

This.

And even if you play for friends, they're gunna think you suck (to say the least) if you only know a small segment.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pandora_grunt

This. no arguments. It's good for your transitions,your timing and you get a feel for the song. Also you get a feel for staying focussed and playing song from start to finish. And your friends wont be bored if you just learn to play songs they'd want to hear from start to finish.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated