i've been reading that some players like a straight neck with low action because it helps them play faster. Also making it easier to fret the notes.. but my question is wouldn't this kind of setup create a lot of fret buzz? anyone use this kind of setup?
Depends on the guitar. I have really low action, but that's cause I worked on a mid-range guitar. If you get a cheap, beginner guitar there's almost no hope in hell of getting the action anywhere near comfy, because of the uneven-ness of the frets, or shape of the neck; straighter means lower action, generally... and better intonation, too I believe.
Lower action = less pressure needed to fret the notes = easier to play...

...ifyougetwhatayemeeeen?

EDIT: Some words up there ^
STRIKING MINORS
Last edited by Mources at Oct 20, 2009,
I don't think they mean a literally straight neck. I'm pretty sure they mean the neck bow is perfect for their action. Your neck shouldn't be completely straight. It pretty much means low action. You can get action low without any buzz on pretty much all guitars. The fretboard radii and neck angle determine how low you can go though. Low action isn't for me tho. I had stupid low action before without any buzz whatsoever. It was so low that I couldn't pull up on my trem a quarter of a step up without strings hitting the frets. It was extremely hard to avoid unwanted noise. I like it a little higher now.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 20, 2009,
in the guitar setup book he makes it sound like his talking about a perfect straight neck.. anyone else able to confirm this?
A perfectly straight neck on a guitar would work only if you had it set up with an absurdly high action - so high that you couldn't play the thing. If there is no bow in the neck, then when you fret a note, the string will hit the first two or three frets in front of the fretted note and cause it to sound dead. You've got to have some bow in the neck in order to make the guitar playable.
Neck relief is common but you can play with a dead straight neck in some cases. The relief isn't to adjust for uneven frets, it's to compensate for the elipical vibration of the string which moves a greater distance in the centre vs the ends. How low you can go this way really depends on how high the nut (& Brdge) is and how hard you strike the strings. Low action is relative too, to some it's less than 2/64ths of an inch to others it might be 4/64ths.
Moving on.....