Okay, so something's been bugging me of late. Its purley asthetic, but guitars with wide-ass, gaping pickup cavities, and NO RINGS!

I'm walking through a guitar store, wanting to buy a new shred-stick. I find what could have been the axe of my dreams, but what turns me off? That ugly ass gap around the pickup thats just been screwed into the backside of the body. It'd look a world better if it just had that lil' chrome ring, just to cover the gap, but NO!!!

I wouldnt mind, but it got worse! A beauty of a guitar with a stunning H/S/H setup. It had rings around the 'buckers, but the single was uncovered, un-ringed, and left me unhappy. Are the companies trying to make a visual statement, or just being cheap?

I know, I could just ADD the rings myself, but I dont wanna buy something thats only half-assed. And I dont even mind if its not actual rings! The SG and Strat do fine without!

Thoughts? Opinions? Debate?
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
^ As long as the routes are neat and tidy, definitely. Ibanez do it really well and personally, I love that look.

You're just strange
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
i get the whole figured top thing, and alot of them are stunning, but clean rout or not, it just looks lazy. The pup just looks jammed in and shizz.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
Quote by richard_edwards
^ As long as the routes are neat and tidy, definitely. Ibanez do it really well and personally, I love that look.

You're just strange

Ya but Ibanez often has that triangular cut below single coils...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Body mounted pickups are supposedly the best route for getting better tone so there is also that to factor in due to the resonant peak changes. But some manufactures do take this route a bit to far for cosmetic purposes. In the end though the sky is the limit when it comes to guitars and options out there. Step out of the box a bit and check out some other manufactures and im sure you will find what your looking for 10 times over.
Some people claim that the pickup rings get in the way of their hand as they are playing. Evidently, the ring, or at least anchoring thier picking hand on the pickup ring, ruins their picking technique. I don't know why this would be the case, but I've read this statement in a few interviews over the years. Whatever works for them is what they should use, of course.

I recently ran into a problem with installing Duncan Blackouts in a Washburn with no pickup rings. I took it to my local repair shop (whose techs are first-rate; believe me) and they couldn't make the things sit properly in the pickup cavities unless they installed pickup rings. I like the look of the guitar with the rings better than without them.