So my guitar teacher's been bugging me a about having to improvise in Eminor, but I the way he wants me to do it is incorporate licks and melodies and whatnot into the chordprogression, so you get a full sound. Instead of playing a lead over a recorded chordprogression or someone else playing the rhythm part or whatever.

I have a hard time keeping things interesting for very long, aswell as making sloppy mistakes and then giving up, partially because I don't really know what I'm doing. So I'm wondering if there are any tips or tricks to give some kind of structure to this kind of improvising, or lessons or ways of practice that help me understand this and practice this better.

I have browsed the board and whilst there's a lot of threads on improvisation, I haven't come across a single one which didn't focus on soloing in a (largely) one-string, meedleymee, bend-sweep-howl-shred-etc.-fashion. Which rather confuses me, seeing how what I'm talking about seems to be quite an important way to expand your ability to express yourself on an instrument, aswell as a way to come up with interesting licks and whatnot to be used in songwriting. Or even simply as a way to make it more fun to play in front of friends when there's only one guitar around.

To clarify what I mean, I'm basically talking about what this guy does in his video, although he does apply a lot of different techniques and I don't know what he does as far as scales and such are concerned. My point is is that there's a chord progression underneath what he does which is easy to follow, but he makes it much much more than just the chord progression.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQSrmCb99I
all he is doing is playing the chords of the progression and the 'one-string, meedleymee, bend-sweep-howl-shred-etc.-fashion' at the same time.
Try using your other fingers, you can pick and pluck at the same time or in alternating patterns. If you do this correctly you can get a nice full sound and be able to keep things interesting. Didn't watch the video. Just something my guitar teacher does really well and that I'm trying to figure out.
Myeah, except the point is that it ought to be doable with a pick... fingerpicking will have to come later.
I have a hard time keeping things interesting for very long, aswell as making sloppy mistakes and then giving up, partially because I don't really know what I'm doing.

Get rid of that attitude and ur all set.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Maybe learn the CAGED system or something it helped me out with songwriting and Mid-chord improv.

You really should be looking for notes that sound good after you've played the initial chord.

edit: and maybe try to arpeggiate the chord you're playing just a lil'.
No means maybe
Last edited by pilgrimevan at Oct 20, 2009,