i've been looking for answers everywhere and noone seems to know...
why the hell does the sm57's head spin like that? it never breaks the wires, it serves no purpose...
the answer that made the most sense that i found was that it spins so you can always see the shure logo, but that sounds dumb..
mine does, and i have also used many that don't... i thought mine was just broken when i used someones who's didn't spin... it could just be in the design, they never made a way for it not to spin... who knows, i couldn't find an answer either. i do that a lot once i plug my mic in though to test if it's working, instead of talking into it or tapping it i can just spin the head and it's a really distinct noise so you could tell if anything is coming out...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Oct 20, 2009,
i think its just the grille that spins. i would guess its because they use the same body for both the 57 and 58, so they just make the grille easy to stick on and come off. or at least they seem like the same body to me. other than that, i dont really have any good ideas
Quote by jof1029
i think its just the grille that spins. i would guess its because they use the same body for both the 57 and 58, so they just make the grille easy to stick on and come off. or at least they seem like the same body to me. other than that, i dont really have any good ideas

The difference between a 58 and a 57 is far more than just a wind sheild. Though most people would tell you thats all there is between them.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
^ i know there are differences other than the windshield, i meant that i thought they stuck them both in the same casing. they seem like the same size and shape to me, so sticking them in the same casing makes a lot of sense economically. and if they use the same case, well the only external part that is different is the windshield. so having the windshield basicly clip on is what i would do, which could be why it spins. as i said, im not sure if that is actually true, but it makes a lot of sense from the logic im going through.
Quote by willieturnip
The difference between a 58 and a 57 is far more than just a wind sheild. Though most people would tell you thats all there is between them.

That's not to say, they don't share any components. Now that someone mentions I actually wouldn't be surprised if they share the same casing.

My guess for the spinning SM57, is that the way the mic is assembled, that piece doesn't require any additional reinforcement to keep it in place.
Last edited by take_it_t at Oct 21, 2009,