Hey guys, i play with alot of distortion/gain and i notice the following occurs:

-Pull offs will sometimes sound the string above it(the thinner sting)
-Same thing with thrills
-hammer ons i dont seem to have a problem with
-bending sometimes sounds the string below it(thicker string). I use the thumb of my picking hand to mute the thicker string but sometimes the bend is too quick to do this. I use the picking palm too but that doesnt stop it completely.
-Vibrato. Ever since i started using my thumb on the neck for vibrato and bending(but thumb behind the neck for everything else) ive noticed easier bending, but noisier vibrato. Because my fingers are curved over the thinner strings, not all the strings will be muted but the underside of my fret fingers.

Any tips on how to stop the string noise problems? Satriani uses the fingers of his picking hand to stop noise when doing legato pull offs but i wonder how people like Kerry King get such clean trills or how blues players got such clean bends/vibrato. Please help.
It's mainly about technique, make sure you play in a parallel position. Fingers one per fret, on the very tips of your fingers, otherwise they will take up space and run into other strings. When you do pull-offs it is essential you play them in a parallel position with minimal movement. Rotated positions are good for anything involving 2 or more fingers in the same fret. Focus mainly on technique and you'll pull trough it! Hope this helps
I agree with that guy its all about the technique and you could also get a noise gate or eq for some of that other string buzz
Practice slowly, and by slowly I mean around 40-50 bpm. Examine every motion of your right and left hand, and over time you will notice what causes the string noise.

Yes, it may be boring, but the rewards outweigh everything in the long run.

And from this, you'll also learn why there are so many bad guitarists on UG and YouTube who claim they can shred...it's because they don't practice slowly.

Good luck.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by Gary Peterson
I agree with that guy its all about the technique and you could also get a noise gate or eq for some of that other string buzz

Or not. Noise gates cut 60 cycle hum, feedback and other associated noises, not string buzz or open string noise or anything like that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I agree about the technique, but also try practicing your stacchato. It is the same as legato picking, exept instead of waiting for the whole sound of the note you change halfway through, creating intensely fast hamer-ons and pull offs that change strings w/out you even having to pluck the string. when you can smoothly do that, try really slow legatos with full bends versus quarter bends. you won't even need a noise gate if you can get that down trust me lol
Freepower i have seen your video before and it was a great help, but im talking about specific times when it is hard to put those techniques into motion whilst bending etc.
Quote by Megadeth09
Freepower i have seen your video before and it was a great help, but im talking about specific times when it is hard to put those techniques into motion whilst bending etc.

The same muting techniques and principles apply at all times, you may need to adjust your hand position slightly if you're bending or whatever to prevent yourself muting out the string that's sounding but the same basic ideas still apply.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by plainsight
Practice slowly, and by slowly I mean around 40-50 bpm. Examine every motion of your right and left hand, and over time you will notice what causes the string noise.

Yes, it may be boring, but the rewards outweigh everything in the long run.

And from this, you'll also learn why there are so many bad guitarists on UG and YouTube who claim they can shred...it's because they don't practice slowly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In case you missed it above, do what he said!