Page 1 of 2
What's the real use for drop tuning or having a 7 string?Is it 2 get a chunky sound or to match pitch of growling vocals......

Thank you
To play lower notes than you can in standard tuning.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I think its just to get a different type of sound. You can't really get too heavy with E standard Tuning as you do with Drop c/b
Drop tuning so can play bar chords instead of power chords on the drop tuned string

A 7 string to have 5 extra note to add heaviness and diversity, and also to create 7 string chords

Detuning to match your singers pitch, make playing faster easier, make it heavier, different keys portray different atmospheres(colour in sound)

Theirs hundreds of reasons
Last edited by drawnacrol at Oct 20, 2009,
Yeah, pretty much everything mentioned above. Drop tuning is even used in classical music to, Vivaldi for example uses drop D in some movements. But there definatly is something heavier about it that lends itself to death metal and stuff.
For metal it's to play lower than in standard, and to play power chords quicker (When playing fast it's useful)

But Drop D is also used in Country and folk quite often so you can play a bass line with the thumb on the Low E with is tuned to D.
Quote by guitarpunk8
Because E standard sucks dick.

why...becuz u can't adjust ure fingers to play an actual powerchord instead of making stuff easier and barring it wid one finger ?
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
Usually the lower tunnings are used to match the vocalist range.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by ethan_hanus
This is a dumb statement, the majority of people tune down to get a different tone, lower tunings usually give you a more darker sound, more low end, or just make it easyer to play.

it is a dumb statement but down tuning doesnt make the tone darker just heavier for example most Norwegian bands use standard tuning, and death metal bands almost universally use drop tunings
I tune down because my vocal range isn't high enough to sing in E standard. In Eb or D I can hit the high notes more confidently
THIS IS THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK!!!!
Ibanez RG1550 w/ BKP nailbombs
Aria Magna series w/ Dimarzio SD
Blackstar HT 5
Fender FM210R
Ibanez DE7
Keeley/Boss BD2
Line 6 floor pod
I dont know why people drop tune either, why cant they just bend down and pick it up?
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
because it's teh br000t4LZ

Because i like to play in drop C. E is to high to me, i like drop C or D standard.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Since we are on drop tunnings...have any of you guys heard or read about that new pedal that digitally drops your tunnings with the step of a button?

Check it out...could be very useful for those who can't afford multiple guitars for all the diff tunnings they may use http://www.gear-vault.com/morpheus-droptune-worlds-first-drop-tune-guitar-pedal/
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by OOgly bOObly
I dont know why people drop tune either, why cant they just bend down and pick it up?

I second this.
Same reason why you would want to move a finger from one fret to another in any tuning.

Plus drop tunings open up different fingering possiblilties.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
to play powerchords easier, or to make it easier to add extra notes to powerchords.

but i think droptunings are kinda gay
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
very rarely do i drop tune my guitar but personally, i like the sound of playing lower chords.
More range of tones, more range of notes, Classical guitar uses drop tunings, loomis uses a 7 string some times, to it just adds to the range of notes and tones. It also makes the powecords easier and a little more ballsy.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by srob7001
Since we are on drop tunnings...have any of you guys heard or read about that new pedal that digitally drops your tunnings with the step of a button?

Check it out...could be very useful for those who can't afford multiple guitars for all the diff tunnings they may use http://www.gear-vault.com/morpheus-droptune-worlds-first-drop-tune-guitar-pedal/

Yep, I've heard of it. I'm hoping my local GC gets one in so I can try it out before buying.

Also, there is a thread discussing the pedal.
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by bagpipemetal
For metal it's to play lower than in standard, and to play power chords quicker (When playing fast it's useful)

But Drop D is also used in Country and folk quite often so you can play a bass line with the thumb on the Low E with is tuned to D.

THIS +100

u have some kinda lick with a progression which want to go to D for example but high D is too high pitched, then u change to drop D and it sounds kick ass!

sorry i love the sound of a nice lick makes me go wild xD
As some people have already said, it's really practical in some situations. Some singers are more comfortable in a lower range, which can be matched by a guitar tuned down a certain number of steps/half-steps. Some tunings where not all the strings are detuned by the same amount are designed to make certain chord voicings easier (simplest example: Drop D and power chords. Also can make full chords playable that would have otherwise impossible stretches). Personally, I keep my guitar in Eb because I like the deeper sound I get from that, and I like the slightly lower range as opposed to E Standard. Every song I've written has been in Eb tuning.

And now to all the people who think drop-tuning is "gay." You've got some practical uses above, are you still arguing? Sure, some of the metal guys overdo it, but there's nothing bad about expanding the range of notes you can play in a certain direction... If you're opposed to drop-tunings, I'm supposing you're also opposed to the 24th fret? Now, if you're just against the way some people use drop tunings, that's fine, just don't say you're against drop tuning unless you have an actual case against it.
DADGAD is a dropped tuning and MANY folk artist use them, hell even Jimmy Page used it in Kashmir. But people use it to match the singers voice most of the time, like for example can you imagine someone playing in A standard while Geddy Lee is singing.
Quote by guitarpunk8

metallica has used nothing but E standard. well, All Nightmare Long was Drop D, and i think St. Anger used drop tunings. but all of Metallica real songs were standard, and they rocked.

and E standard is awesome....if yur able to position yur fingers right.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91

metallica has used nothing but E standard. well, All Nightmare Long was Drop D, and i think St. Anger used drop tunings. but all of Metallica real songs were standard, and they rocked.

Pfft Metallica sucked when they got rid of Dave Mustaine

And I liked St Anger, I understand the mix getting ragged on, but it was much better than Death Magnetic
Quote by flanders_91

Load and re-Load were Eb standard...I don't consider it a drop tunning but it is lower than standard E

A certain tunning doesn't make a song rock ,the riff does, regardless of what tunning it is in.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

DUDE NO WAY!! MUST HAVE!!
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
I personally don't like drop D. It makes a lot of stuff much harder to play (like open chords) and I really hate how most people use it. its so annoying to hear all these people playing powerchords as fast as they can.

but Im all for lowered tunings like D standard. or Eb standard. but actual Drop tunings (where only one string is lowered, this is the definition of a drop tuning) bug me.

side note. "drop C, is actually drop D 1 step down. Real drop C would be CADGBe
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
I personally don't like drop D. It makes a lot of stuff much harder to play (like open chords) and I really hate how most people use it. its so annoying to hear all these people playing powerchords as fast as they can.

but Im all for lowered tunings like D standard. or Eb standard. but actual Drop tunings (where only one string is lowered, this is the definition of a drop tuning) bug me.

side note. "drop C, is actually drop D 1 step down. Real drop C would be CADGBe

Nope your wrong, drop C isn't CADGBe, its CGCFAD I think.
Quote by ~Max~
Nope your wrong, drop C isn't CADGBe, its CGCFAD I think.

No thats what is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as drop C. A real drop tuning by definition only has 1 string lowered. so drop C means standard tuning with the low E dropped to a C.

Its kinda like how your tremolo bar actually does a vibrato, Its named wrong, but we all know what it means.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by srob7001

i was looking into this. it's pretty dumb. it alters your sound too much. wont keep natrual tone from your guitar. i use multiple tunings and i much rather have different guitars to play. there is just a lot of shit that box cant do sound wise.

also some of the things said in this thread are pretty ignorant. like E standard sucks or that drop tunings are pointless. if you don't understand then you must not understand much about music.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by the_perdestrian
No thats what is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as drop C. A real drop tuning by definition only has 1 string lowered. so drop C means standard tuning with the low E dropped to a C.

Its kinda like how your tremolo bar actually does a vibrato, Its named wrong, but we all know what it means.

no. if you play CADGBe it wouldn't sound right. tuning to D standard then dropping the low bass string to C sounds better and works for bar chords. just because drop D uses standard tuning doesnt mean they all need to. drop tuning is just a step and a half down from the rest of the other strings.

plus how do you compare a vibrato to drop tunings? a vibrato is a vibrato. you cant name it anything other than that. wether using a floyd or bending the string with your finger. lets be realistic here man.

here is a list of drop tunings so there isnt any confusion of what drop tunings are and all the different ones there are.

THE LIST
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 20, 2009,
E sounds too high. I really don't like it for some reason. The highest tuning I use is Eb.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by guitarpunk8

Quoted for truth.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
the real question is who the frick decided what "standard" tuning is? we aren't really down-tuning anything, we just play in different tunings for different sounds, the same reason for buying new guitars/amps. imagine how much ur limiting urself by just playing in "standard" tuning.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
the real question is who the frick decided what "standard" tuning is? we aren't really down-tuning anything, we just play in different tunings for different sounds, the same reason for buying new guitars/amps. imagine how much ur limiting urself by just playing in "standard" tuning.

EADGBE is a versatile tuning. it sounds good. good pitch. so it is used a lot. it being a standard isn't a bad thing. you don't have to tune to standard. you can do whatever you want. also what is limiting about it? that i don't really get but ok.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by Crohny
EADGBE is a versatile tuning. it sounds good. good pitch. so it is used a lot. it being a standard isn't a bad thing. you don't have to tune to standard. you can do whatever you want. also what is limiting about it? that i don't really get but ok.

i guess i worded that poorly. i didnt say standard is limiting, paying in JUST standard is. it sounds like TS is asking why people play in different tunings, and i answered by saying playing in just one tuning is limiting what an instrument is capable of.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Page 1 of 2