Page 1 of 2
Hello ladies

I know, i know.. This question has probably been asked over 9000 times, and you're all surely shitting your pants in anger every time you see a thread like this, BUT!
I need your help.

I've been playing a shit guitar in my sparetime for about 8 months, never taken any lessons.. Only thing i've done is watching some lessons from "Learn & Master Guitar"
The shit-tar (haha get it? ..nvm) i'm currently using is a Crafter Cruiser ST-10 and the most awful amp ever made.. All i know is that it is a 10 watt Cruiser, and i'm not a big fan of it.

NOW, TO THE POINT.
I need your guys help to guide me through these fires and flames (ha ha ha i'm so funny lolol!) of chaos. There are so many guitars to choose from, and i've readen reviews and reviews and reviews.. and hey! more reviews! And i can't decide!
I must say, i love guitars with thin strings, i like the sound and i truly enjoy using them (Rock You Like A Hurricane? It's awesome.)
So if you have any recommendation for an awesome guitar, which is great for playing, metal and rock, but also have a sweet clean tone, then i'll be so happy that I might cry myself to sleep.

ALSO.
I've been thinking about buying a "Line 6 Spider III 75" amp, because: "OMG LOOK IT HAS AWESOME PRESETS" - and the reviews are nice too. But if you can recommend me a better one, then feel free!

WOAW ALMOST FORGOT: Maximum price in total: 1000$

THANK YOU!
1. Don't go with the spider, you'll regret it for a very long time.
2. Are you willing to go used?

That's 2 more things I wanted to say.

About the spider, it's not that it's that bad when you start with it, but once you recognise good tones from bad tones, you'll realise it sounds too thin, and digital, and then you'd have to buy another amp...
I'm not sure on what to recommend you for guitar, perhaps try Ibanez, or Epiphone, but hey, I'm not that much of an expert
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

You gonna get kicked in da teeth for the spider comment =D

...Yes, I have one... [shh, it's only for practice <_< ]
STRIKING MINORS
I swear to god sometimes I think people just make new troll accounts to make new topics about how they want to buy a Spider amp, even though they're generally hated.

Solid advice, you can go a lot further on 1000$ then a Spider amp, and if you go used you can get a great setup, hopefully.

With a great amp and a half-good you can go a long way, so focus on the amp.
Gear
Guitar: Ibanez SAS32EX
Amp: Marshall JCM800 4210
With the little help from a TS9
Quote by ..NEM..
I hate Swedes.
I don't think it's fair to call this guy a troll just because he was thinking about buying a Spider. It's true, the reviews are all really good for it, and all those pre-sets and fun extras are bound to draw in beginners.

Just give him a chance, and he can learn from his mistake about the Spider. I myself fell for the MG's, (although thankfully did not buy one) when I first heard of them.

Just cut him his slack, the reviews ARE very misleading
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
First of all for the amp I suggest a Peavey Vypyr, the 60w tube is pretty good. Whatever you do don't get a Line 6 Spider

As for the guitar just check out these

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
ESP / LTD guitars
Ibanez (prestige) guitars

EDIT: damn, beat me to it
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 20, 2009,
Yea, the spiders bad. I have a 15w spider and i loved it to begin with, but when I played my Cort on a Marshall amp, (which im going to order soon ) I realied what a bad amp the Spider is, I just feel sad whenever I use it
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Last edited by TomG10-7 at Oct 20, 2009,
So far, thanks a lot guys. I already feel ashamed for even mentioning the damn spider amp..

No i'm not a troll, i really thougt that it was an awesome amp, but no no no..

So.. NOW! I want you all to please focus on other kinds of amps and some awesome thin-string guitars!

Thanks guys, you're truly awesome everyone of you!

and yes... i've played almost any GH game out there, probably the reason I even picked up the guitar to start with.
Try out some Epiphone and Ibanez guitars. They can be pretty versatile.

EDIT: I'm a little skeptical about Peavey amps. I've yet to play through a decent one.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Last edited by Instant Mash at Oct 20, 2009,
I'd steer clear of guitars with floyd rose tremelos unless you're desperate to have one and are ready to put the time in to learn how to set one up.

As others suggest try some ibanez, epiphone or schecter. All do high quality, low budget guitars.

Also try out Kramer guitars, you'd probably be able to get a great playing and sounding guitar for less than $200 with a kramer. I'd suggest at least a 30/70 split for your budget between guitars and amps.

A cheap guitar can sound great on a good amp, but a $3000 guitar is still going to sound crap through a spider.
THIS IS THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK!!!!
Ibanez RG1550 w/ BKP nailbombs
Aria Magna series w/ Dimarzio SD
Blackstar HT 5
Fender FM210R
Ibanez DE7
Keeley/Boss BD2
Line 6 floor pod
1, Most electric guitars come with a set of 9s or 10s fitted. Much less than those and it would play too slopily.
2, Guitar. Look at the Agile Les Pauls from Rondo Music. Excellent value and with your budget, you could get the top of range AL3100. Very nice. Another brand to look at is Cort. Great value all across the range, but as a beginner, I'd steer you away from the Metal fans Floating bridge and Floyd Rose type trem systems. Too much hassle at this stage. For a lovely tone and feel, Cort's M series take a lot of beating.
3, Amp. For practice, a Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube or Vox VT series would be great. All those are Solid State amps but if you prefer the warmer sound of a valve amp, then you could do a lot worse than one of the small Fender models.
4, Don't forget to budget a bit for picks, cables, a strap and a few spare sets of strings.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

#Sale93

What a beautiful guitar! Well i have a wide music taste, all from death-metal to opera, so there's a chance that i'm gonna play all sorts of genres, but mostly just rock.

Just a shame that they don't ship outside the US! I'm from Denmark.

#Lurcher+Nick184
Thanks a lot for the respond!
You started your thread by saying "Hello Ladies". Strange way to ask for advice; that is unless you are directing your question to the ladies of UG.

As for the advice bit. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the spider but if you aren't then don't buy it. In fact i'm not sure if the whole thing is a joke...anyway

chances are if you've only been playing 8 months you're likely to make a bad choice in terms of the guitar you want. There is so much variety to choose from whether it's humbuckers vs singles, types of wood, types of neck, finishes, hollowness etc. the list really is endless. As such I wouldn't recommend you buy a guitar now.

On the whole you can objectively find out whether an amp is good/what you want through specs, hearing tone and your style of music etc. Buy the amp that fits you and then once you know what you're doing more you'll be able to tinker around with guitars and find the one that's right for you. This is much more of a subjective exercise than buying the amp and thus is much more difficult. We've all bought the wrong guitar for the wrong reasons at some point, don't let that happen to you.
#adhuv >

Thanks for the response, a good reading i must say.
Firstly: 'Hello ladies' was for fun, and i didn't thought that it would make anybody butthurt, sorry for that!
Well.. I just want a great cheap guitar to play some nice rock u know ^^ but well.. i don't have that sort of expertise to know all the right things, that's why i'm asking you guys!
^ What I was saying is that getting a "good" amp is relatively easy. You can hear if it has the right tone for you, read reviews etc and decide if you want to buy it as it is essentially the output for your music.

The guitar is much trickier to decide on as there are many more things to decide between, and a large part of it is "feel". If it "feels" right to you, and plays ok, and you like the weight etc. This is your input device, what you'll be handling, poring over, connecting with. The amp will ultimately sit on the other side of the room giving voice to this result.

Thus find the amp that's right for you first. Then sit down and spend a lot of time trying out guitars and deciding which things you like best, and after this lengthy process you will have a good idea of what you want. You will come to understand what technical specs are right for you, and as you will have a more mature musical mind (and outlook) you can ascertain whether the guitar is "right" for you. At this stage you won't need to ask us too much as you will have a large body of knowledge and advice on which to make an informed decision. Basically making this choice is not going to happen overnight, based on what people say in this thread. Instead it is a long process of research and asking. You're in it for the long haul!

I hope that explanation helps a bit more...
Last edited by adhuv at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by poipoi
1. Don't go with the spider, you'll regret it for a very long time.
2. Are you willing to go used?

That's 2 more things I wanted to say.

About the spider, it's not that it's that bad when you start with it, but once you recognise good tones from bad tones, you'll realise it sounds too thin, and digital, and then you'd have to buy another amp...
I'm not sure on what to recommend you for guitar, perhaps try Ibanez, or Epiphone, but hey, I'm not that much of an expert

couldn't agree more on the spider. I actually have one and now that ive been playing for a little while and had the chance to try some other amps, I regret buying it and I'm currently looking around for another amp
Quote by britishsligean
http://www.thomann.de/dk/index.html?sid=2bc30e5e001d8fdcac5b804fb7df42ba thomann is your best bet and they have a danish store which should help you

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
I was thinking about buying this amp: http://www.thomann.de/dk/marshall_mg101fx.htm i have tried it in a store and i thought it was really awesome. Can anyone here recommend it?
Quote by Awesome-O 3000
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
I was thinking about buying this amp: http://www.thomann.de/dk/marshall_mg101fx.htm i have tried it in a store and i thought it was really awesome. Can anyone here recommend it?

You will regret that more than you'll regret buying a Spider III.

For beginners and players starting to find their amp voice, I'm a strong believer of modelling. Modelling amp's will have a large variety of amp models for you to test and try before going for the real thing. Also they come with presets so you get a feel for the various sounds.

The Line 6 Flextone is a good start. Good amp with lots of amp models and effects for you to try out and mess around with
http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_flextoneiii_xl_gitarrencombo.htm

If you can stretch your budget, this is even better and will last you a looooong time
http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_vetta_combo_212ii_gitarrencombo.htm

If you want some tube action to go with your modelling amp, this is worth considering
http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_spidervalve_112.htm

Otherwise, look at the Vypyr Tube 60, a lot of UGers find this better than the Spider Valve, and it still has tubes
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_tube_60.htm
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
You will regret that more than you'll regret buying a Spider III.

Why? I tried it in a guitar-store and thought that it was great, + it's cheap and my total budget for guitar AND amp is $1000!
Quote by Awesome-O 3000
Why? I tried it in a guitar-store and thought that it was great, + it's cheap and my total budget for guitar AND amp is $1000!

There's a reason a lot of people don't really like the MG... bad tone is key amoung them, second for what it is... its overpriced... you're paying for the Marshall brand name without actually getting the signature Marshall tone.

The MG is 379 Euro. The Flextone I recommended is 488 Euro. For 100 odd Euro more... you get an amp which actually has model which actually sound like tube Marshalls, Mesas and others.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
There's a reason a lot of people don't really like the MG... bad tone is key amoung them, second for what it is... its overpriced... you're paying for the Marshall brand name without actually getting the signature Marshall tone.

The MG is 379 Euro. The Flextone I recommended is 488 Euro. For 100 odd Euro more... you get an amp which actually has model which actually sound like tube Marshalls, Mesas and others.

arw
i really liked it, i think it had a really awesome sound, but what the hell, i'm a noob..
Quote by Awesome-O 3000
arw
i really liked it, i think it had a really awesome sound, but what the hell, i'm a noob..

Its not to say that Marshalls are bad... just that one amp is overpriced and has lower than average tone.

If you think the MG had awesome sound... just wait till you try the Recto model on the Vypyr.

For the fact that you're still finding your amp voice, I'd strongly recommend the Flextone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Its not to say that Marshalls are bad... just that one amp is overpriced and has lower than average tone.

If you think the MG had awesome sound... just wait till you try the Recto model on the Vypyr.

For the fact that you're still finding your amp voice, I'd strongly recommend the Flextone.

It's just a problem that i have no idea where i can try the Flextone amp, the musicstore in my city only got Marshalls amps, and i will not buy a amp that i haven't tried.
Quote by Awesome-O 3000
It's just a problem that i have no idea where i can try the Flextone amp, the musicstore in my city only got Marshalls amps, and i will not buy a amp that i haven't tried.

What brands and which amps have they got?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
What brands and which amps have they got?

Like i said, primary Marshall amps, it's a little store
Quote by adhuv
please don't get that MG

edit: and do you really need 100W?

No i don't need 100W.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Ok.... hmmm.

I know you mentioned that you have a pretty diverse choice in music... but I'll be frank to say that with just Marshalls alone... you're gonna have to be a little bit more focused.

What do you see yourself playing in the next 2 years?

Songs from specific bands or at least genres will help. My logic was to have you get a modeller... and once you're on your way, you'll find yourself using specific amp models more than others. From there... we'll have a good idea to know what amp to recommend when you upgrade.

Marshall has probably got an amp for every genre of guitar music... but I don't think they have an amp that does every genre decently. So I'd need to to tell us what you plan on playing... from there we can recommend more amps.

To be perfectly honest... you can buy a Flextone just like that... every amp model makes the Flextone sound drastically different. Plus Flextones have relatively good resale value... so when you do sell it off... you can get a decent price for it.

Alternatively... would you mind going used? Maybe a pawn shop somewhere nearby has a Vypvy or Flextone or Spider Valve you can pick up for the cheeps? Any bulletin boards where you live? If someone is selling one of the amps I recommended... chances are they'll be willing to let you try out their amp before you make a purchase decision.

Don't worry... modellers like the Peavey Vypyr, Spider Valve, Flextone or Vetta don't sound like any one amp... they are made to be able to sound like a whole slew of different amps.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

What do you see yourself playing in the next 2 years?

Songs from specific bands or at least genres will help. My logic was to have you get a modeller... and once you're on your way, you'll find yourself using specific amp models more than others. From there... we'll have a good idea to know what amp to recommend when you upgrade.

Well that certainly is a tough question. But primary i don't think that i'm gonna play heavy metal.. Some Metallica songs of course, but the thrash ain't me.
I would like playing more melodic songs if you know what i'm saying. A couple of examples won't hurt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf3WZNNTBT8
(i can already play this one, but i really like these sorts of songs)

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Monsoon/5425276
Note:
I am truly sorry for ever admitting that i enjoy a Tokio Hotel song, but i find the guitar amazing in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho
An incredible song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQnzs8wl6E
One of my all time favorites

haha, and of course Stairway to Heaven and a lot of Pink Floyd!
Quote by Awesome-O 3000
Well that certainly is a tough question. But primary i don't think that i'm gonna play heavy metal.. Some Metallica songs of course, but the thrash ain't me.
I would like playing more melodic songs if you know what i'm saying. A couple of examples won't hurt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf3WZNNTBT8
(i can already play this one, but i really like these sorts of songs)

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Monsoon/5425276
Note:
I am truly sorry for ever admitting that i enjoy a Tokio Hotel song, but i find the guitar amazing in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho
An incredible song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQnzs8wl6E
One of my all time favorites

haha, and of course Stairway to Heaven and a lot of Pink Floyd!

Wow... this is gonna be a challenge...

I won't lie to you to say that I have lots of experience with Marshalls, because I don't... I'll try my best though.

I'm think
1. Vintage Modern 2266C 50 (combo)
2. A Marshall Class 5
3. DSL 401

You can probably have a look at those.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Wow... this is gonna be a challenge...

I won't lie to you to say that I have lots of experience with Marshalls, because I don't... I'll try my best though.

I'm think
1. Vintage Modern 2266C 50 (combo)
2. A Marshall Class 5
3. DSL 401

You can probably have a look at those.

1. The Vintage Modern 2266c 50 is way out of my budget.
2. Ain't my style, and i would miss reverb and other FX's.
3. Looks like a really nice amp, but again, i have a budget.

I don't see what the problem with the MG100 is, i tried it again to day, and for me, the sound was incredible, and all it's fx's were really cool.
I have no plans on playing gigs at all, the guitar is just a nice hobby.
Page 1 of 2