It seems that every thread ive looked through has no answers when it comes to answering my scale questions. I continuously run into these egotists who think there is one way to play music.

So can someone clear this up for me?
Ive checked out the harmonic minor, among others, and have done some writing with it but im playing tech death so the tunes can start to sound pretty dry if your using the same scale in very song.
Any suggestions?

Btw
Im not interested in your arguments; take them somewhere else.
The way to play music is every way! dont focus on one scale at all, ever or one key or one time signature.
dont continuosuly try and write music that has seven time signatures and key changes, a simple 4/4 beat in C major can sometimes be a brilliant song.
everyone has their own opinions about what type of music is best, and im sure even if your favourite type of music is metal there will be an indie or electro song out there that you will like.
take inspiration from everywhere
sorry about that but thats the way i try and approach music and i think its the best way to write music.
the greatest ideas come from the subconcious so dont try to think too hard

hope that helps
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by wesselbindt
I believe the ultimate guide to guitar has a chapter on modulation(=changing key in the middle of the song).
Read it.

what?

i meant arguments as in these ppl that just talk shit on threads
have you tried experimenting with modes? If you have a simple powerchord progression for instance, you could play a riff in let's say natural minor or minor pentatonic or whatever.

But when you move up to the solo or another part of the song with the powerchords as rythm you could try and experiment with major modes so that the sound of the solo (and thus the song) will completely change.

Hope this helps
Are you meaning like your using the same scale for every song, like the same scale as in A harmonic minor for every song, or just harmonic minor scales in general for every song?

iv actually noticed this too, with harmonic minor mostly, iv tried writing several songs using harmonic minor and i end up getting the same sound throughout which gets boring but i suppose it just takes a lot of practice and experience to stay within the givin scale and still keep things interesting. but when i start in like a pure minor and then facilitate a key change to harmonic minor for a guitar solo or just another part of the song it sounds pretty damn awesome.

I think what might help is looking at music theory as more guidelines, kind of like in pirates of the carribean lol when they say that the pirate code is more like guidelines(dumb example i know lol), so when i write i dont adhere to the theory exactly, in other words i suppose i dont look at music theory as rules more like just another tool to help me get the sound i want.

I dont know if this will help at all or if im just rambling lol if its the latter i apologize lol
Quote by charlie__flynn

everyone has their own opinions about what type of music is best, and im sure even if your favourite type of music is metal there will be an indie or electro song out there that you will like.
take inspiration from everywhere
sorry about that but thats the way i try and approach music and i think its the best way to write music.
the greatest ideas come from the subconcious so dont try to think too hard

hope that helps

i agree completely on that
im into alot of every genre or at least i try to find a favorite in every