Hey guys, I've been studying GCSE music for quite a while now, and I must say, it's the best lesson we ever have, I just recorded a solo performance of Bring it on Home by Led Zeppelin last lesson, which is going to be graded, and I can't wait to see what I get!

I'm 14, and just after I'm 15, we will be doing work experience. Don't know how many of you have done this, but linking on to my music studies, I think I'd like to try and work in one of my local guitar shops maybe, there's one called REVERB which I like alot, although I haven't made any enquiries with them yet, they might take me?

I'd just like to ask, has anyone else done work experience relating to this, and do you think the shop will take me (for one week.

PS (So I don't have to make another thread: I'm thinking of buying a Marshall Valvestate VS100 Head and a 4x12 Celestion cab, for £150 on my local paper. Well, I know Celestion's a big name in speakers, but will this be a good sound for me (think LED ZEPPELIN, Classic rock!)
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
i did work experience in a pharmacy for a day. that was boring.

I'm not sure about the amp... those older valvestates are meant to be nicer than the newer ones (which aren't great, i owned one but sold it), but i haven't tried them. How much cash do you have for the amp and is it for gigs?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When i did my work ex i let my school choose it for me, worst decision i ever made, siting in a mechanical shipping outlet for 2 weeks doing nothing was awful.
make some enquiries soon so that you are the firs person asking to do it etc. My friend wen to the local music shop and enjoyed it, he mainly just cleaned the guitars and amps and looked after the shop but if there was no customers he was allowed to play for a while.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
i went to the local guitar shop. one of the best weeks ever, polished, tuned and played all the guitars and got a lovely yamaha rgx 1200s out of it. although, the school arranged for me to go there so i didn't need to contact the shop before, but ask them, I'm sure they'll take you, it's just a case of whether the school will let you go. although i don't see why they wouldn't.
Thanks for your fast replies! Please keep them coming! and also, I made a mistake with the amp, it's apparently it's a Valvestate 100, model 8100, and a custom made cab with Celestions in it, 4x12 but looks tall enough to almost be a 6x12.

Thanks!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Thanks for your fast replies! Please keep them coming! and also, I made a mistake with the amp, it's apparently it's a Valvestate 100, model 8100, and a custom made cab with Celestions in it, 4x12 but looks tall enough to almost be a 6x12.

Thanks!

Hasn't everyone told you numerous times in numerous threads that the Valvestate is not what you need? For Zeppelin you need a tube amp. You have been advised to get this: www.valvepower.co.uk I have it and it's perfect for Jimmy Page tones.

About the cab, just because it says Celestion doesn't mean it's good. They will be something crap like 70/80s for that price and they sound nothing like the Celestions you're thinking of like Greenbacks and G12Hs.

Just get the Valvepower and a cheap 112 cab like the Blackheart one or the Valve Jr one. If you can't afford that, get this: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75486 . Either of these amps will sound infinitely times better for what you want.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I did my work experience in a Gym now im a right meathead.
EDIT: At least twice as big as Petrucci.

Only joking haha

on the amp if the new valvestates are anything to go by then i doubt its too great, although for the price with the speakers it sounds pretty decent.

listen to Dave though he seems to know his stuff.
Last edited by Boomjosh at Oct 21, 2009,
vs100 very nice amp....what paper was it in or just pm me the sellers contact info....already got the combo. (nah i`ll let you have it)

tbh, you`d learn more if you could get your work experience in a proper studio, in a store you won`t be playing you`ll be coffee boy, shelf stacker, guitar polisher.
I'm in the same position as you, I wanna work in my music shop, but I doubt they'll take me
I was "ill" all week on my work experiance cos I was too lazy to go to the guitar shop and ask

But yeah, I know that the guitar teacher that's associated with the guitar shop in my town accepts work experiance, assumably the shop does also.
Quote by robwallis
i went to the local guitar shop. one of the best weeks ever, polished, tuned and played all the guitars and got a lovely yamaha rgx 1200s out of it. although, the school arranged for me to go there so i didn't need to contact the shop before, but ask them, I'm sure they'll take you, it's just a case of whether the school will let you go. although i don't see why they wouldn't.

How did you get a Yamaha RGX 1200s out if it? They gave you it for free?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Go ask at the shop! As soon as possible! The school will need to set stuff up with them - health and safety asssessments and stuff like that - before they can take you. But there's no reason why they shouldn't want you - its free labour after all - provided you show them you are proactive and go talk to them!
I got work experience too this year. I could also work at Reverb, Birmingham one though, but I would rather work at PMT.
Anyways I'll probably not do it there for some reason and end up in some other kinda shop in town....
I worked at my local music shop and I was just mostly dusting and tuning guitars
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly