So I have my Gretsch 5120 Electromatic with Burstbuckers and a bone nut. I ****in love it so much and it sounds so sweet, but there's one problem. It stays in tune just as well as a crying baby being ran over. I want to install some Sperzel locking tuners (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sperzel-3-3-Trim-Lok-3-Per-Side-Tuners-793135-i1129890.gc) in chrome, but I'm not sure they will fit. The Gretsch tuners have two screws and I think the Sperzels only have one.

I need some advice from a Gretsch owner or expert on how to install or choose the right tuners to put in. Thanks
Quote by foob85
So I have my Gretsch 5120 Electromatic with Burstbuckers and a bone nut. I ****in love it so much and it sounds so sweet, but there's one problem. It stays in tune just as well as a crying baby being ran over. I want to install some Sperzel locking tuners (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sperzel-3-3-Trim-Lok-3-Per-Side-Tuners-793135-i1129890.gc) in chrome, but I'm not sure they will fit. The Gretsch tuners have two screws and I think the Sperzels only have one.

I need some advice from a Gretsch owner or expert on how to install or choose the right tuners to put in. Thanks

They probably won't fit. I have a 5120 as well, and I have looked for, well, a long time, for some replacement tuners, because they kind of suck. I asked some people on the Gretsch pages forum, but no one had found a direct replacement for the 5120 tuners. Some may fit the holes, but then the screw holes in the head will need to be filled and new ones re-drilled.

I was looking for Gibson-esque style locking tuners, with the white plastic knobs to keep that Gretsch look.

If you do find something that works, please PM me, because I'd really love to know how it goes.

EDIT: If you're having tuning problems, it could be from not restringing properly. But that probably isn't the case. I've tried every way conceivable and it still goes out of tune. Using the Bigsby complicates things even more....

2xEDIT: Another mod that I'd consider first is having a jackplate installed with the output. Mine would get so loose that it would actually fall out. and screwing it tighter only would twist the wiring. Plus, if you bend the chord wrong, it'll just crack the wood. An jackplate distributes the pressure evenly so you won't end up ruining your guitar.
Last edited by hunterman at Oct 20, 2009,