Right so, lately I've been getting bored with my playing. I play mainly R&B and stuff in the Hit 40 UK (the charts), as well as this I find myself longing to play alternative rock (but this mostly is in a different tuning and I cant be bothered tuning down just for one song - I will eventually but not just now, I'd prefer staying in standard).
I know pretty much beginners stuff like Open chords, Barre Chords, Power chords etc. I know only one scale (sad I know but I can't seem to get the gist of how to play them (like if theres more than one position for the A Major scale for e.g. & I also dunno what ones to learn) - the blues scale. I'm not really one to experiment, but I occasionally try finger picking (and fail), but I'm mostly for strumming along while I listen.
So my question/s for you...

• How can I improve my playing?
  • Where do I go from this beginner stage to a higher stage?

Thanks in advance.
Theory.

Check out some of the lessons and columns.

Theres a column called the crusade which really helped me pick up theory. Give it a shot

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Theory.

Check out some of the lessons and columns.

Theres a column called the crusade which really helped me pick up theory. Give it a shot

Thanks for the advice.
I've read through the crusade columns before breifly, but didn't think I'd need it that much. I'll be sure to re-read
When I improved most as a beginner i actually played Metallica songs. Mostly of their songs (almost everyone) is in standard tuning. I always had like a goal to complete a specific song, the whole song including the solo. That was hard, but after a lot of daily practice you get it in the end, and you can realize how much you learn. One of the first songs I started with was One, and it have a lot of techniques that are good to know (chaninging strings, hammer ons, pull offs, palm muting, tapping, alternative picking). It might take some time to learn, but you get a lot from it as a beginner.
Quote by Fieryhead
Right so, lately I've been getting bored with my playing. I play mainly R&B and stuff in the Hit 40 UK (the charts), as well as this I find myself longing to play alternative rock (but this mostly is in a different tuning and I cant be bothered tuning down just for one song - I will eventually but not just now, I'd prefer staying in standard).
I know pretty much beginners stuff like Open chords, Barre Chords, Power chords etc. I know only one scale (sad I know but I can't seem to get the gist of how to play them (like if theres more than one position for the A Major scale for e.g. & I also dunno what ones to learn) - the blues scale. I'm not really one to experiment, but I occasionally try finger picking (and fail), but I'm mostly for strumming along while I listen.
So my question/s for you...

• How can I improve my playing?
  • Where do I go from this beginner stage to a higher stage?

Thanks in advance.

Two words for you to Google; Justin Guitar.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
^ + 100000000000000000
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
TS, have you tried singing or playing in front of people? Those can often add a spark to how you approach music.
Something that added alot to my playing was simply expanding my horizons on music. Might sound dumb but it opens you to new technique and sound.
Also Justins Guitar
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Thanks for the replies.

I've been on Justin Guitar before - I go on it alot but I've started to move on from that as it doesn't really apply to me & my music.

I play infront of people alot too. I play infront of my friends at school and no, I do not sing. But my friend does as I sound terrible.

Again, thanks for the replies - I'll try out some Metalica songs!
Quote by Fieryhead
Thanks for the replies.

I've been on Justin Guitar before - I go on it alot but I've started to move on from that as it doesn't really apply to me & my music.

You said you wanted to know more scales etc...if you look, everything is there..most of it is beyond my current comprehension, so it must be good
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
You said you wanted to know more scales etc...if you look, everything is there..most of it is beyond my current comprehension, so it must be good

Yeah i know, thanks. Its just usually i start from the basics & work my way through again to make sure I have everything perfected & thats when I give up
Learn and master the CAGED approach.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Get yourself a good teacher, and don't stick with the first one you come across necessarily. I've been the teacher and the student, and I can tell you that the right teacher can change EVERYTHING. First, there's accountability - if it's someone you respect, and you don't practice that weeks lesson, YOU are the one who has to go to next weeks lesson and feel ashamed of yourself for not practicing while this amazing teacher has given up his/her time to teach you. Then there's the aspect that no website or book can teach you - someone to actually look at and analyze your playing, and zero in on the weaknesses, while building up the strengths. A book can't possibly do that. Also, with a book, DVD, or website, you can't exactly ask it a question. You CAN ask a teacher a question. I'm currently studying with a Berklee grad who is an uber talented jazz cat, and even though I'm a rocker, it definitely translates with the theory, technique, and musicianship. That's my advice.
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Seems like choosing a song you want to learn that is at the top of your game and just really sticking to it and learning it, picking up any new techniques on the way and getting comfortable with them. If you manage to do this you can start using the things you've learnt for other songs or even your own stuff.
This is the way I've improved my playing mostly, along with reading up on theory and playing with other people.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by millerdrr
Learn and master the CAGED approach.

I already know this. I know pretty much all about barre chords & moving chords up the neck. Nevertheless, thank you

Quote by Ludichris@Once
Get yourself a good teacher, and don't stick with the first one you come across necessarily. I've been the teacher and the student, and I can tell you that the right teacher can change EVERYTHING. First, there's accountability - if it's someone you respect, and you don't practice that weeks lesson, YOU are the one who has to go to next weeks lesson and feel ashamed of yourself for not practicing while this amazing teacher has given up his/her time to teach you. Then there's the aspect that no website or book can teach you - someone to actually look at and analyze your playing, and zero in on the weaknesses, while building up the strengths. A book can't possibly do that. Also, with a book, DVD, or website, you can't exactly ask it a question. You CAN ask a teacher a question. I'm currently studying with a Berklee grad who is an uber talented jazz cat, and even though I'm a rocker, it definitely translates with the theory, technique, and musicianship. That's my advice.

I've got a teacher now (he teaches at my school), and he's the worst one ever I swear. My friend hadn't learnt one thing from him teaching and he's gave her like 10 hours worth of lessons. I gave her my spare guitar & taught her within 10 minutes A, D and E. That's how bad he is. The thing is though, I'd rather stick with him (as its free as well), but then I can show him I'm much more skilled than he'll ever be at teaching if you get me. I teach a couple of my friends at lunch times & everything & they all say I'd be a good teacher.
Anyway, back to your advice. I'll try it. I'll learn a song the way I think it should be played & show him to see if its right? As there are no other teachers by my house. Thanks for the tips .

Quote by renegade2031
Seems like choosing a song you want to learn that is at the top of your game and just really sticking to it and learning it, picking up any new techniques on the way and getting comfortable with them. If you manage to do this you can start using the things you've learnt for other songs or even your own stuff.
This is the way I've improved my playing mostly, along with reading up on theory and playing with other people.

Thanks for the tips. This is what I mainly do but I never actually read up on theory. I love it to bits and everything (it interests me a lot) but half the theory stuff I either know or the columns are too long to read, so I loose interest. Nevertheless, I'll start theory work again. Thanks
That's why I said the 'right' teacher will change everything. The 'wrong' type of teacher will just cause you to either A.) not progress at all, or B.) even worse, go backwards when you should be going forward. It's pretty much a fact that a bad teacher is worse than no teacher at all. At least if you had no teacher at all, you could explore what you want to explore, and although you may learn bad techniques, at least you wouldn't have someone 'teaching' you how to learn bad techniques!
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q