Okay, so... Fender MIA Strat.

A while back someone spilled beer on my guitar. I have reason to believe it was my roomie, and his Heineken mini-keg. It is partly my fault for leaving the guitar on its stand, but come on, what the ****? Who sits a keg down on the fridge next to my guitar and foams it everywhere?

The neck and body were covered in beer, and I had to wash it all off... the pickups had beer on them, too.

But now, I am getting massive string buzz. Like, is the intonation off? I had it set up literally in late July. It's insane. I think the beer got in my guitar and ****ed it up. Also, it sounds a lot weaker when I play it with my Traynor YCV50 (which could be the tubes or something)...

I dunno, guys and girls... there's no Long & McQuade in London. I'm gonna get my friend to look at it, but uh, should I just take it to a local store and have it looked at?

****, I don't have money for repairs like this. I don't bring beer near his laptop.
why would your guitar be next to the fridge??
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by SG_Player93
its a fender

Dont be an idiot, reported.

On topic, i wouldnt think a little bit of beer would be much of a problem. Does it still have the buzz when not plugged into anything?
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
Sell it, that way you can afford to have it repaired.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
It never ceases to amaze me at the number of 14 yr old trolls on this site, lol. Probably why I rarely post anymore.

ANYWAYS, I am living in a university dorm, so the mini-keg was on top of my mini-fridge, and since space is limited, I had to set up my guitar stand beside the fridge.

The buzz is apparent when amplified, and unplugged. Although, it was weird, since I just went down a floor to see a friend about it, and it like stopped buzzing as bad down there, but as soon as I got back to my room, it kicked in again.

Very strange.
Its possible the beer expanded the glue on on the frets, makeing them taller, or it warped your neck slightly, you might be able to correct it with an adjustment. But you should measure your action hight at the 1st fret, then at the 12th fret with an open E, then take the same measurements while fretting at the 1st then the 8th. And then tell us what you found.
those mini kegs are messy bastards aren't they?

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

The buzz is apparent when amplified, and unplugged. Although, it was weird, since I just went down a floor to see a friend about it, and it like stopped buzzing as bad down there, but as soon as I got back to my room, it kicked in again.

Very strange.

If the buzzing varies due to location it could be some kind of interference?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Its possible the beer expanded the glue on on the frets, makeing them taller, or it warped your neck slightly, you might be able to correct it with an adjustment. But you should measure your action hight at the 1st fret, then at the 12th fret with an open E, then take the same measurements while fretting at the 1st then the 8th. And then tell us what you found.

This is what I was thinking...

I think I am gonna take it into a shop for a check-up... again.

UGHHHHHHH.

And yes, while Heineken is a godly beer, I would much rather stick to bottles or cans, and I would prefer to avoid people who don't understand how the spigot on the keg works... he drank mostly foam that night.
if theres wierd buzzing the beer could of ate away or affected the solder.. look at solder points in the electronics to see if anything is affected... i spilled pepsi into my randall amp before and over time the amp would make huge popping noises and it turned out to be solder where the pepsi was spilled.

edit: i think i just saw that by buzzing you meant fret buzz.. and not in your electronics. my bad.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by AthenasGhost
if theres wierd buzzing the beer could of ate away or affected the solder.. look at solder points in the electronics to see if anything is affected... i spilled pepsi into my randall amp before and over time the amp would make huge popping noises and it turned out to be solder where the pepsi was spilled.

edit: i think i just saw that by buzzing you meant fret buzz.. and not in your electronics. my bad.

Well, the sound quality has reduced, huge.

I forgot to mention, I believe the beer got into the volume pot, because it sticks in one place a lot, and when I plug in, massive volume drop. It shouldn't be as quiet as it is, especially on Master Volume 2, Channel volume 7...
it could have fd up your guitar but if you cleaned it off pretty quickly there shouldnt be any major damage. your deffinitly going to need new strings though moisture kills them, thatll help get you back some good tone. again body and neck SHOULD be completely fine so long as it was cleaned up fairly quickly, MAYBE your pickups would have been affected slightly, but even that i think is unlikely. unless he drenched the thing

but to add to ethans post another easy way to see if your intonation is off is play a 12th fret harmonic and then play just a regular 12th fret note on each string. they should be the EXACT same note so if they seem slightly off or out of tune from each other thats a definite sign that you need to have it adjusted again. good luck with that though man i just had a similar incident with my bass. although it involved the rain shit happens dude.
Yeah, I need new strings. I wanna go get some and see if that makes a big difference or not.

Plus, once they're off, I am gonna clean the **** out of my guitar and pickups. Maybe I should pull off the volume knob and see if anything looks amiss.

I found it the next morning, so it likely sat in beer overnight. I didn't know; I was out drinking in another person's room. It was on there long enough to cause some problems though, I think.
ok if it sat overnight then yea there could be neck problems. as long as the body has a decent finish on it it should be pretty safe but you may have popped out some frets or it could have even warped it a little.
if you have any good kind of straight edge like a metal ruler or something (shorter would be better, like covering 3 frets worth would be perfect but a foot long or something would work) you could also check your action with that. there are real tools for getting a more exact look at everything but you can at least take a quick look at it. if you didnt know your kneck should have a very slight U shaped bend in it, so if your neck is fine and your frets are, you should be able to put a straight edge pretty much anywhere and have it sit still. if you can put it somewhere and have it rock from side to side though that could be a sign of a popped fret or a warp in your neck. but alright i have class to be getting back to. good luck man
Out of total concidence, I have an empty Heineken beer pony keg in my room, its badass.

But the best thing you can do is take it in and have it checked out. I mean, whats the worst that can happen? The neck is warped, its not much of a problem, strats have a bolt on neck, you can just have it replaced. Replecement necks are about $150 at Warmoth, which is loads cheaper than buying a new MIA strat.
Sounds to me like it just needs another set up. You had it set up before when it was hotter - now it's getting cold, the neck and the vibrato's springs will tighten, as well as each part of the guitar become microscopically smaller. End result is fret buzz and some slightly dodgy action and intonation.

Seasonal set-ups are pretty much a must with most guitars, especially one such as a Fender Strat which has a vibrato bridge (and since Fender don't use quartersawn maple in their necks, making the neck morevulnerable to changes in temperature). I would simply suggest you learn how to set up your guitar properly yourself, it will save you a lot of time and money.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I agree with most of what was said, but back down before you spend any cash and check one thing.

Have you changed the strings? I'll bet they get fuct up with beer overnight.
you did say it sat there, Wet, for what could be like 8 hours, so my guess is that since your guitar is near a fridge, the way the neck as a whole dried, it probably didnt have the same temperature, light exposure, etc. and therefore dried unevenly, causing it to warp in some way. that can be changed easily, if it was just a bow shaped warp - if it were crooked, well, that would suck.

i think, as for the pickups, it probably fried a wire, but not all, which lets you still hear it somewhat instead of not all.
Yeah, if the neck is twisted, you're ****ed. You'd have to buy a replacement from Warmoth or something.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.