Noobie here. Want to get into electric after many years of acoustic. I know nothing about amps !
I would like to spend no more than $250 -- new or used, SS or tube, and want the following:
1. Something that can reproduce as much crunch as possible.. 70s or 80s crunch, LZ or AC DC?
2. Would not use for gigs, just garage or in the house, but I want something that can really wow me when hitting a power chord.
My needs are simple. Won't be using it for clean sounds, jazz, etc.
Vox AC4TV. switchable to 1/4 watt to get good vintage crunch tones at low volumes and it's $250.

^NO. MGs and Spiders won't get him anywhere close to the tones he wants.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by SG_Player93
Marshall MG's

or Line Six Spider III or IV

Give it a break, you tit.
For a first amp the Vox Valvetronix range will suit. Its hard to go wrong with one of them.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/38863-vox-vt30.html

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/38864-vox-vt50.html

The 50 is a bit much but will probably be a little more future proof.

Or there is the Marshall MG Series, not many people like them I don't really know why; but I haven't had much experience with them. They do give a very nice distinct crunch and go onto a more serious distortion.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/39862-marshall-mg30fx.html

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/39865-marshall-mg50fx.html

There is Peavey as well, but I don't know a thing about them really.

Hope this helped, cheers.
blackstar ht-5 head or combo. u can find them used for under 250. or u can buy mine lol.
Vox AC4 will get you the best tone by far. They are awesome amps. I'd spend the extra $50 to get the ministack though, unless you find one used.

If you want more versatility (without getting pedals) then try the Vox Valvetronix, you can get a wide range of decent tones out of it, even though you'd be sacrificing that sweet tubey goodness. It's not a bad alternative but for the price I don't think anything would beat the AC4.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Thanks so much for all the help, folks. One followup, for those that are recommending the VOX (looks like some like the tube and some like the MT50 series which I think is SS correct?) question for you: will either of these units do the trick without having to invest in extra hardware (other than the guitar itself) like pedals, etc, which I am just starting to learn about and research.

The Marshall MGs were one of the first I was looking into, but have read enough people on here giving them the thumbs down... I almost dont want to risk it. I've listened to samples on youtube, and other websites, etc,... but of course that only gives you a starting point. Strange to me how there seems to be so many people with such opposite views on the MGs... makes you wonder about the human ear!
edbert.. help! Please define: ministack.. ? I am not seeing that as an accessory on the guitar center website? Am I understanding you correctly that if I go with the AC4 I need (should) buy this extra piece of hardware? Can you point me to a link and briefly explain it's function to tie an AC4 into a "ministack" ? Thanks in advance!!!
Quote by judebarnes
Thanks so much for all the help, folks. One followup, for those that are recommending the VOX (looks like some like the tube and some like the MT50 series which I think is SS correct?) question for you: will either of these units do the trick without having to invest in extra hardware (other than the guitar itself) like pedals, etc, which I am just starting to learn about and research.

The Marshall MGs were one of the first I was looking into, but have read enough people on here giving them the thumbs down... I almost dont want to risk it. I've listened to samples on youtube, and other websites, etc,... but of course that only gives you a starting point. Strange to me how there seems to be so many people with such opposite views on the MGs... makes you wonder about the human ear!

Most people on here argue that people who like MGs have an underdeveloped ear. IMO the MGs sound decent on the clean channel and at lower volumes, but when it gets to jamming level you will hear how harsh the amp gets. I was jamming with a friend one time and I cringed when we switched amps (he has an MG30, I have a Crate Palomino V16).

The Vox AC4 probably takes pedals very well since it is an all tube amp. If you go with the Valvetronix (it's VT series now I think) you won't need pedals since it has built in effects. In the long run I think you will be happier with getting the AC4 and building up a pedal collection.

helpedit: A ministack refers to a head+cabinet as opposed to the combo which is one unit.

L1nkz0rz:

Combo:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC4TV-4W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=476326

Ministack:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC4TV-4W-Class-A-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=620389#used

+

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-V112TV-1X12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=620390
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Oct 20, 2009,
I'll add my vote for the Vox, I have one myself and it's great for stuff like AC/DC and classic rock in general. With the Vox you might want an overdrive pedal for lower volume practicing though.

The Valvetronix are good amps as well and as you're a beginner might be the better option. You'd have a bunch of effects and amp modelling to play with. As edbert above me said, the AC4 + a pedal collection would probably be the best option in the long run but for a beginner it's a good idea to look at the Valvetronix.
+1 for the AC4, and I'll add the Bugera V5 into the mix.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by IsaacDeano93

Or there is the Marshall MG Series, not many people like them I don't really know why; but I haven't had much experience with them.

If that is the case, then don't advise this amp.

EDIT: Reading back through this thread, I'm amazed that so much sub standard advice is being thrown about. The buck stops with the AC-4. No arguments. TS wants something to wow him, not leave him underwhelmed. The Amp does what he wants, so why anyone would suggest a Vypyr is beyond me. The Peavey Vypyr is drowning in a pool of it's own mediocrity.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 20, 2009,
the ac4 is a good one, also you could find a used peavey classic 30. you will like either of these, methinks
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
The AC-4 or the Marshall Class 5 (although I'm not sure if it's in your budget.) The Class 5 would be perfect for you.

SG_Player93 way to be super original with your MG & Spider recommendations it was teh lulz.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Ok last question I promise... I hope...

As I understand it the ideal (for my needs and budget) might be the AC-4 with the ministack and overdrive pedal. Many thanks for leading me down the right path.... However... this makes me want to ask:

Out of the box, without the ministack or pedal added into the mix, would the AC-4 be crunchier than the Valvetronix or vice versa ? (both adjusted for maximum crunch). Or, do you need the extras to allow the AC-4 to pull ahead?
Last edited by judebarnes at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by judebarnes
Ok last question I promise... I hope...

As I understand it the ideal (for my needs and budget) might be the AC-4 with the ministack and overdrive pedal. Many thanks for leading me down the right path.... However... this makes me want to ask:

Out of the box, without the ministack or pedal added into the mix, would the AC-4 be crunchier than the Valvetronix or vice versa ? (both adjusted for maximum crunch). Or, do you need the extras to allow the AC-4 to pull ahead?

The AC4 will give you the crunch you want straight out of the box. BUT! (MAJOR EMPHASIS) you'll need to turn it up to get it. You need to push the tubes to get that crunch. The AC4 allows you to get that crunch at lower volumes by cutting the headroom down with the built in attenuator that can give you 1/4w, 1w, and 4w. For playing Classic Rock in your bedroom, the AC4 is the perfect foundation for your rig. If you get the head and cab setup or the "mini-stack" as you put it, you set yourself up for amp head purchases farther down the road. Once you have the amp and a suitable guitar, you can start building a pedal collection that can stay with you forever and budget modeler amps won't even cross your mind.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS