So I've been saving up a grand for a new acoustic but I decided I might as well go electric. I have a few questions first.

1. I'm going to be mostly playing by myself or jamming with another friend. what kind of amp should I be looking for and which one would you recommend?

2. I'd like to use a semi hollow/Hollow body guitar because of the woody vibe but if I have to ill go with something else. what is a good guitar around 800 for classic rock, funk, reggae and the blues?

3. I'm new to electric so where can I find a guide to all these nobs and switches?
1: depends on what budget you have- how much do you have for the guitar and the amp?

2: yeah, semi-hollow should work. i'm not too well up on semi-hollows, though, so I'll let someone else suggest those.

3: depends on the guitar, a lot of the time. Normally you'll have a volume control, a tone control (you may have separate controls of these for each pickup, or just a master one of each which works on all the pickups), and a pickup selector to select which pickup is selected, and therefore what type of tone is selected.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Excursions707
So I've been saving up a grand for a new acoustic but I decided I might as well go electric. I have a few questions first.

1. I'm going to be mostly playing by myself or jamming with another friend. what kind of amp should I be looking for and which one would you recommend?

2. I'd like to use a semi hollow/Hollow body guitar because of the woody vibe but if I have to ill go with something else. what is a good guitar around 800 for classic rock, funk, reggae and the blues?

3. I'm new to electric so where can I find a guide to all these nobs and switches?

1. Given your choice of music, the best option would be to get a Vox VT30.

2. Some kind of Les Paul would be best, Jimmy Page, loads of blues artists and Bob Marley used them. look at Agile in the USA, or Vintage in the UK and Europe. for a semi-hollow, look at Epiphone or Gretch or Rickenbacker. I know the Epiphone Sheraton is highly regarded, Kings of Leon use them.

3. Basically there's volume knob, which controls the output level of the guitar, tone knob, which determines the amoutn of treble in the guitar's output, and pickup switch, which decides which pickups will be selected, which allows different harmonics to be detected and outputted.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Oct 20, 2009,
dont listen to any one about Marshall mgs till u try one out yourself. there great for crunchy tones and also good cleans

as far as guitars goes Paul Reed Smiths are AWESOME. the single cut away is just as good, if not better than, a real les paul and alot cheaper. they have good semi hollows but the solid bodies are cheaper. the prs se custom 24 is 650 custom 22 600
As for semi-hollows I would look at Ibanez - they make wonderful hollow bodies.
Quote by SG_Player93
dont listen to any one about Marshall mgs till u try one out yourself. there great for crunchy tones and also good cleans

You have no ear for tone.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
i like the semi-hollows that Gretsch makes. As for amps, if you're just going to be jamming on your own or with a friend, i assume you won't be needing something with a ton of gain and features. I would go for a small tube amp like a tiny terror or a blackheart. Later on, you could get a fuzz or overdrive pedal if you want a dirty tone.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
If you are in Europe T C Ellis has a few semi-hollow Mantis models in stock They are a steal! They look like a high-emd PRS. My mate in Belfast got one with duncan JB/59 pickups for £320. Ebony fretboard with tree of life inlays. Great guitar at a silly price.
I'd agree with the little Vox amp for the sort of sounds you want.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

some great replies so far.

1. My budget for amps is about 200. I won't be needing anything too big because i wont be playing in a band. What is should I look for to find a quality amp?

2. Are solid bodies cheaper than Hollows? cause I guess I could just get a Gipson Les Paul Studio for about 800
^ for the stuff you're playing, a vox valvetronix would be cool.

and yeah, solid bodies tend to be cheaper than semi-hollows or fully hollow guitars, because there's less work involved...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Excursions707
some great replies so far.

1. My budget for amps is about 200. I won't be needing anything too big because i wont be playing in a band. What is should I look for to find a quality amp?

2. Are solid bodies cheaper than Hollows? cause I guess I could just get a Gipson Les Paul Studio for about 800

I'd second the valvetronix, they seem like good amps, I played out at GC one time. However, if you're getting a LP Studio, play it before buying, Gibson quality control...? Yeah. Epiphone makes some good hollowbodies, though, I played a really nice one that was around $500 at Sam Ash the other day. I think it was a Sheraton, but I'm not entirely sure. Whenever I go back I play it though (probably sad I don't know its name by now )
Quote by -Blue-
I'd second the valvetronix, they seem like good amps, I played out at GC one time. However, if you're getting a LP Studio, play it before buying, Gibson quality control...? Yeah. Epiphone makes some good hollowbodies, though, I played a really nice one that was around $500 at Sam Ash the other day. I think it was a Sheraton, but I'm not entirely sure. Whenever I go back I play it though (probably sad I don't know its name by now )

It's much better than you would think, don't believe every story you hear on the internet.
Quote by darkcheef
It's much better than you would think, don't believe every story you hear on the internet.

Oh trust me, I don't. I'm speaking from actual experience there, I've played a few that were complete lemons. Maybe that's just the store I went to, though. I don't doubt that many of them are good guitars.
For $800, if you want a semihollow, I'd stick with Epiphone. They make some really nice ones. For something a little brighter, there's also the Fender Tele Thinline -- the Mexican-made one should be in your price range.

As far as the Valvetronix goes, you should definitely play one. Unless they've upgraded them in the last couple years, they have shitty stock speakers that sound like a wet fart when you play anything relatively bassy, especially open chords. I personally think they're poorly voiced.

If you want a decent-sounding rig, my suggestion is drop about $600 on the guitar (you want something that's playable), and then about $400 on the amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
For $800, if you want a semihollow, I'd stick with Epiphone. They make some really nice ones. For something a little brighter, there's also the Fender Tele Thinline -- the Mexican-made one should be in your price range.

As far as the Valvetronix goes, you should definitely play one. Unless they've upgraded them in the last couple years, they have shitty stock speakers that sound like a wet fart when you play anything relatively bassy, especially open chords. I personally think they're poorly voiced.

If you want a decent-sounding rig, my suggestion is drop about $600 on the guitar (you want something that's playable), and then about $400 on the amp.

They got a vast majority, they sound so much better now IMO.

Oh and I recommend a Epiphone Wildkat and a Vox VT30
^ Oh OK. I'm glad to hear that. I got one of the first year's AD30VTs, and it had a lot of promise but turned out to be a pretty big disappointment.
Hi, I'm Peter
MGs aren't as bad as people make them out to be, but they have a very specific sound... if you can go used and you want a GOOD solid-state amp then check out the Lab series or any of Kustom's stuff from the late 70s/early 80s... definitely some kick-ass tone there.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N