Okay, the tubes on my champ are 30 years old and they are SHOT. I thought originally it was just the preamp tube, so I bought a new one, but I've now realized the power and rectifier tube are also gone.

What do I have to do to retube my amp? I'm still not really sure what biasing is and will I have to do it? My champ needs a 6v6 power tube, a single one, and a 5y3 rectifier tube. Now ideally, I want my champ to break up later but I'm not sure what tube to get for that. It's sort of annoying that I only need one and they seem to be sold in pairs.

These are the two tubes I was going to order for now though. Am I doing anything wrong?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Gold-Series-GT5Y3GZ30-Rectifier-Tube?sku=212222

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Silver-Series-ST6V6C-Power-Tube?sku=219110

I'm going to XC practice, but I will be back in like 2.5 hours.

Thanks for any help
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I could sell you each tube you need, all vintage, if you would like to keep it vintage. I have tons of 6V6s, and some 5Y3s and 12AX7s laying around.

But if you wanted to go modern, I would go for JJs or Tungsols.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Oct 20, 2009,
Also if your Champ is stock, you should be looking at replacing the caps too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You can use a gz34 or 5v4 rec instead, for a little tighter bottom/mid and a wheedle more power.

Superfastedit: If it's a silverface!
Quote by Rutch
You can use a gz34 or 5v4 rec instead, for a little tighter bottom/mid and a wheedle more power.

Superfastedit: If it's a silverface!

Yeah it's silverface, I might try that.

Darkarbiter7, how much?

And how would I go about replacing the caps/how much would it be?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
depends on which power tube you want (I only have one spare rectifier, so not much choice there). I can sell to you cheaper than buying new modern tubes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by darkarbiter7
depends on which one you want (I only have one spare rectifier). I can sell to you cheaper than buying new modern tubes.

Hey I sent you a message, will you PM me your response?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Will do
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Artemis Entreri
And how would I go about replacing the caps/how much would it be?

If you have not serviced an amp before than this is going to be a tech job. Caps become 'leaky' over time and that means they aren't holding and supplying current as they should. This leads to the amp being quieter, and generally more flat sounding. I would suggest finding a local tech and having him do the tubes and caps at the same time. This will probably run you $200-300, including parts.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
If you have not serviced an amp before than this is going to be a tech job. Caps become 'leaky' over time and that means they aren't holding and supplying current as they should. This leads to the amp being quieter, and generally more flat sounding. I would suggest finding a local tech and having him do the tubes and caps at the same time. This will probably run you $200-300, including parts.

Yeah...see. I paid less than that for the amp. Maybe later. But I'm paying for college right now.

BUT I have build a small amp, repaired a couple hard wired ones and built a pedal.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah...see. I paid less than that for the amp. Maybe later. But I'm paying for college right now.

BUT I have build a small amp, repaired a couple hard wired ones and built a pedal.

Oh, well you are probably fine to go ahead and replace the caps yourself then. You'd have to get help from someone other than me, but AFAIK it's just a matter of identifying them (filter caps,) then draining them, removing them, and replacing them... Not much more difficult than any other soldering job.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!