Pretty much decided on an Agile guitar. I am wondering what the tone differences will be between:

2 piece maple and 1 piece mahagany (would expect mahagany to be "darker")

and

Ebony vs Rosewood fretboard (is ebony even "darker"?)

and

Floyd Rose trem vs Tail stop (floyd rose has less sustain?)

Thanks once more. This will be my first not-a-complete-piece-of-crap guitar.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
I think Rosewood is darker than Ebony. Not a very big difference in fingerboard wood in my opinion. Doesnt drastically effect sound. I think maple might be heavier than mahogany. I know mahogany and maple are both good tonewoods. As for floyd VS stop tail, floyd will decrease some susatain. it need a big cavity, while tunomaitc's dont need anything. I'd go for floyd, if you have experiance. You can find a used dyna comp and compressor pedal and make nots sustain forever.
Quote by PimpSmurf
Pretty much decided on an Agile guitar. I am wondering what the tone differences will be between:

2 piece maple and 1 piece mahagany (would expect mahagany to be "darker")

and

Ebony vs Rosewood fretboard (is ebony even "darker"?)

and

Floyd Rose trem vs Tail stop (floyd rose has less sustain?)

Thanks once more. This will be my first not-a-complete-piece-of-crap guitar.

Maple is better for necks with a Mahogany bodied guitar in my opinion; it gives a bit more snap to the sound. Ebony is brighter than Maple; if you had an ebony guitar, not only would it sustain for days, it would be painfully bright.
If this is between an AL-2000 and a higher model AL, go for the higher model.

FR's are a pain to deal with, but they're unique functionwise.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I definately want the floyd rose. I was just wondering on this point.

I am not looking for bright. I have bright right now and it hurts. I just like the look.

This was between a 2900, 3000, and 3100. I am still unsure. Gotta read through the specs again.

The problem is, IIRC, they don't offer a floyd in the higher end models. I really want 1 piece mahagany, not a maple top if possible.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
believe me, an all mahogany guitar can get really muddy. The maple neck is a benefit-it balances it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm not sure you can get an Agile with an FR and a rosewood fingerboard.

Maple tops look cool! How you can hate on them?!

I'd consider the Dauntless with a Flamed maple top, but that doesn't help you at all!

Ebony fingerboards are harder than rosewood. I've never used one, but I know orchestra instruments have them and the harder wood results in more sustain and more "punch" to the sound.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2794.html

Well dookie. First, I was talking about solid mahagany body with a maple neck, just without a maple top. I am not hating on maple tops at all. I especially love the tribal quilts. The opaque colors tend to be solid mahagany instead of maple top because you can't see the maple anyway.

Here is my new issue. I guess I need to read up on baratone guitars. The lowest number agile offers with mahagany body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard is the one above, which is a baratone. Not sure if that is what I want. *shrug*

Might have to settle for an ebony fretboard. I donno.
Oh yeah. Baritone is exactly what I want! Looks like the 2800 is going to do it for me!
Are you sure you want a Baritone? There are way better options out there for Baritone guitars. And I honestly don't see much of a purpose for one. Isn't that why there are 7 string guitars?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Are you sure you want a Baritone? There are way better options out there for Baritone guitars. And I honestly don't see much of a purpose for one. Isn't that why there are 7 string guitars?

The big difference is neck width. 7 strings are significantly wider-not a bad thing, but a bit harder to play.

Besides that, normal 6 strings get muddy when tuned down.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

All the info you need on various body woods.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NeckWoods.aspx

All the info you need on various neck woods.

Just be aware that Warmoth deal with higher quality woods, in lower-end guitars like those Agiles, the differences between each wood are slightly less drastic.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Baritones are 6 strings, with a longer scale length to allow lower tuning. I am pretty sure I want a baritone. I like lower tunings, and it would let me and my 2 friends stay a 3 piece because I can do bass when needed. I dig on the idea of a rhythm/bass role.

As far as better baratones, there are all sorts of better guitars vs $300-400 agiles, but is there a better baratone in the $300-$400 range?
Quote by oneblackened
The big difference is neck width. 7 strings are significantly wider-not a bad thing, but a bit harder to play.
I wouldnt say 1 extra string is 'significantly wider'...

Baritone scale (e.g something like 27") and a 7 string is the best possible outcome IMO, that keeps the low B from getting muddy.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I wouldnt say 1 extra string is 'significantly wider'...

Baritone scale (e.g something like 27") and a 7 string is the best possible outcome IMO, that keeps the low B from getting muddy.

I think Schecter does a 26.5" scale on their 7 strings.

Ehm... Agile does too, I think.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yeah Schecter blackjack, blackjack ATX, hellraiser and Loomis are all 26.5

Agile Septors and interceptors both come in 27" options.

The Stephen Carpenter sigs come in 27" models.

Then theres the rare Ibanez RG1077XL, 2077XL, 7421XL and ultra rare 7680 LTD

So yeah, they are out there if 7 strings tickle your fancy.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I do not want a 7 string, I am talking about this guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=370267716527

I can't play a 7 string. Although I am 6'5" tall, I have medium-small hands. My pinky is only 3/4 the length of my pointer and the first knuckle on my pinky is even with the 0th knuckle of my middle finger. It is very hard for me to hit the low E on my normal guitar to begin with. Sorry to be so verbose, but I don't want to hear any "no way" remarks. My pinky is pretty damned limited.

So, we are talking about a *6* string baritone.

Any 6 string baritone guitar recomendation of better quality than the Agile 2800 linked above in the sub $400 range?
Quote by PimpSmurf
I do not want a 7 string, I am talking about this guitar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=370267716527

I can't play a 7 string. Although I am 6'5" tall, I have medium-small hands. My pinky is only 3/4 the length of my pointer and the first knuckle on my pinky is even with the 0th knuckle of my middle finger. It is very hard for me to hit the low E on my normal guitar to begin with. Sorry to be so verbose, but I don't want to hear any "no way" remarks. My pinky is pretty damned limited.

So, we are talking about a *6* string baritone.

Any 6 string baritone guitar recomendation of better quality than the Agile 2800 linked above in the sub $400 range?

Don't worry, I can play 7 strings and my hands really aren't any bigger than yours.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden