Hey everyone, I searched around but couldn't find anything about this.

Recently bought a 300$ Ibanez acoustic/electric CW, and its great except I hadn't noticed when buying it that the fretboard passed the 12th fret gets rough.

Basically, if I go to bend a string or slide, It feels rough and scratchy.
I can also feel the texture with my finger.

So I was hoping if anyone had any thoughts or experience with smoothing that out.

I assume sandpaper would make it worse. Maybe I am wrong?

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks.
Quote by Falcor Klaatu
I assume sandpaper would make it worse. Maybe I am wrong?
Sandpaper will make it better, if you start with a medium grade then use finer and finer grades. Finish with steel wool.*

*mask off your pickups when using steel wool to prevent the particles from getting stuck to them because of the magnetic field.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
No, no scalloping of frets was attempted.

OK, thanks a million for the sandpaper tip, I wasn't sure about that, I'll give that a go then.
Do the frets look scratched? i have some scratched frets on a few of my basses and when i play in that area i sounds like shit and buzzes ..... i figured that the frets just needed filing done. but i dont know if anyone knows what to do that would be helpful!
They frets aren't scratched at all, just fretboard roughness, thanks though. I'm going to attempt some sanding later tonight, need to go pick up some new strings first.
Quote by savage94
Do the frets look scratched? i have some scratched frets on a few of my basses and when i play in that area i sounds like shit and buzzes ..... i figured that the frets just needed filing done. but i dont know if anyone knows what to do that would be helpful!

For leveling, here's a great tutorial. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181012
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by Falcor Klaatu
They frets aren't scratched at all, just fretboard roughness, thanks though. I'm going to attempt some sanding later tonight, need to go pick up some new strings first.

Make sure you sand with the grain, which should be running along the length of the neck. It can be a bit tricky with the frets there, but it wont turn out too good if you go against the grain.