I'm looking for a metal sounding attack and I think it comes down to my picking. I've fiddled with tone for a while now but I think it may all come down to technique.

To hear the sound I'm going for listen to Master of Puppets or Blackned by Metallica. Another example is Matter of time by Hellyeah. Just listen to the beginning of the each note and you'll hear it. Closest thing I can compare it to is the sound of something rubbing together or someone sawing some wood.

So can anyone help me get this sound? Am I wrong and it all comes down to tone or does it indeed have something to do with technique?
All comes down to dynamics
Practice your attack slowly, I've managed to get Master of Puppets punchiness in the rhythm down quite well now
Turn the treble up, the middle down, the bass just over half and quite a bit of reverb. Great metal sound but sounds bad if you don't use it well and catch the wrong strings due to the reverb.

Palm mute often or it'll sound poor. And for that particular sound it's alternate fast picking with slight palm mute
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Dude, i came here to learn sex, not math.

Uncool.
angle the pick JUST a bit, so it scratches the string a bit
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor
Turn the treble up, the middle down, the bass just over half and quite a bit of reverb. Great metal sound but sounds bad if you don't use it well and catch the wrong strings due to the reverb.

Palm mute often or it'll sound poor. And for that particular sound it's alternate fast picking with slight palm mute

this is like the most stereotype-answer ever...

first of all, scooped mids are NOT GOOD for a "metal" sound.
they just make your whole sound go muddy. it may sound good to you at home, but if you try playing with a full band (drums, bass, two guitars, singer), you wont hear a damn thing you're playing unless you turn your volume up to 12 (eleven won't be enough).
a really good and clear metal sound consists of a good amount of mids (i have my mids at 5o'clock, but that's really A LOT), not too much treble and bass at around the half.
you don't need so much bass, because you actually have a BASS player.

second:
palm muting is a technique you shouldn't overuse.
it may sound cool and chunky, but you may be anoid after some time.
so try to fix a changing from palm muted to open notes, this will make your sound a lot more open.

third:
f**k off the reverb!
reverb is cool for solos, but never ever use reverb in your rythm sound, it will make your sound all muddy.

but now BTT:
for eq stuff, just see above
to get a sound like MOP, you should watch close what the tabs are like.
if you see our all beloved pre-chorus riff:

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------||
B|o-----------------------------------------------------------------o||
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------||
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------||
A|o-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----5\4---5\4---5\4-o||
E|--0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0-3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2--||
PM  ...   ...   ...   ...   ...     ...   ...   ...     .     .

pay close attention to the notes on the A string, they are all open.
and, another thing most people keep on forgetting, this WHOLE RIFF is played strictly with downstrokes!
it's quite hard to learn, but even rome wasn't built in a day
i hope i could help you
Last edited by jesus3000 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by jesus3000
this is like the most stereotype-answer ever...

first of all, scooped mids are NOT GOOD for a "metal" sound.
they just make your whole sound go muddy. it may sound good to you at home, but if you try playing with a full band (drums, bass, two guitars, singer), you wont hear a damn thing you're playing unless you turn your volume up to 12 (eleven won't be enough).
a really good and clear metal sound consists of a good amount of mids (i have my mids at 5o'clock, but that's really A LOT), not too much treble and bass at around the half.
you don't need so much bass, because you actually have a BASS player.

second:
palm muting is a technique you shouldn't overuse.
it may sound cool and chunky, but you may be anoid after some time.
so try to fix a changing from palm muted to open notes, this will make your sound a lot more open.

third:
f**k off the reverb!
reverb is cool for solos, but never ever use reverb in your rythm sound, it will make your sound all muddy.

but now BTT:
for eq stuff, just see above
to get a sound like MOP, you should watch close what the tabs are like.
if you see our all beloved pre-chorus riff:

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------||
B|o-----------------------------------------------------------------o||
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------||
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------||
A|o-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----5\4---5\4---5\4-o||
E|--0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0-3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2--||
PM ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... . .

pay close attention to the notes on the A string, they are all open.
and, another thing most people keep on forgetting, this WHOLE RIFF is played strictly with downstrokes!
it's quite hard to learn, but even rome wasn't built in a day
i hope i could help you

this
i could not agree with you more

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I actually LOL'd at that simply because

1. I agreed with you on the bass, so don't make out I didn't :P. The guy quoted Master Of Puppets as his example and if you think there's 'not too much treble', then you're deaf. As for Mid, well I've played in several bands, and the Mid should only be higher than half for solos. By turn the the Mid down I mean under half.

2. Again, the bloke quoted Metallica, and they palm mute lots. Over palm muting is much better than not palm muting at all. Try playing Enter Sandman without palm muting :P.

3. IF you're playing witha distortion pedal, then reverv isn't necessary. However if you are using the amplifier's distortion, not using the reverb will take all attack out the play. It's almost like turning the gain down, hehe.

And OH MY GOD, your advice is 'look at the tabs'. Oh yeah that'll really ****ing help what this guy. He's not looking for how to play, he's looking for how to make it sound good. Often in tabs the picking and strum pattern isn't mentioned, which is most important to help this guy.

Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Uncool.
Well theres a few things you can consider

1) Your tunning - make sure your tunning is matched to the song your playing to other wise it will not come close to the sound you want

2) Amp- some times some amps arent designed for metal sounds but if your using a good amp that is then you should be good

3) settings for amp - if u can turn ur trebble and bass all the way up and make your middle down to 2 or 3 i use that and have great heavy sounds.

4) palm mutting can help with heavy sounds but also your picking style can off make sure your holding it in a comfortable position and your hitting the notes fluently

5) Your guitar- it can make a difference with what guitar you have cus hollow bodies dont do wat solid bodies can do for heavy sounds.

If you check all that then it still isnt working well i dont know what to tell you then lol good luck
Variety and passion to dominate all
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor
I actually LOL'd at that simply because

1. I agreed with you on the bass, so don't make out I didn't :P. The guy quoted Master Of Puppets as his example and if you think there's 'not too much treble', then you're deaf. As for Mid, well I've played in several bands, and the Mid should only be higher than half for solos. By turn the the Mid down I mean under half.

2. Again, the bloke quoted Metallica, and they palm mute lots. Over palm muting is much better than not palm muting at all. Try playing Enter Sandman without palm muting :P.

3. IF you're playing witha distortion pedal, then reverv isn't necessary. However if you are using the amplifier's distortion, not using the reverb will take all attack out the play. It's almost like turning the gain down, hehe.

And OH MY GOD, your advice is 'look at the tabs'. Oh yeah that'll really ****ing help what this guy. He's not looking for how to play, he's looking for how to make it sound good. Often in tabs the picking and strum pattern isn't mentioned, which is most important to help this guy.

ehm, dude...

to 1.
sure, on the MOP album is A LOT of treble, but that was not what I was talking about.
what i wrote was more about metal sounds in general.
and btw, mids under half is just bullsh.. i'm just back from a big gig in bochum (germany, u know) and we had some other bands playing with us (some "deathcore", but also "do or die" and "as we fight") and all of them had really not that much mids in their sounds and was just all muddy....
that what happens playing with a band, it's just physics.

to 2.
i wasn't telling him not to palm mute at all, just to watch the changes between PM and not-PM...

to 3.
again: for a rythm-tone, reverb is __NEVER__ necessary. doesn't matter if ur using a distortion pedal or your amps distortion, it will always make your sound muddy and also kill some attack. that's what a reverb does...
and btw: turning the gain down will actually help your attack. one other thing to try is using a compressor (but with not too hard settings)

and by "look at the tabs" i mean watch the details, cuz sometimes you'll just oversee things, which is kinda normal when you start learning a song.
also i described how the picking works and where to PM and where not to.

and please don't try to make me look stupid, i do this stuff for quite some time and i definitly know what i'm talking about...
By turn the the Mid down I mean under half.

Bleaugh.

Anyway, I'd recommend picking the strings, really, really, godamned hard. To do this playing fast and without tensing up you're going to need A) a hard pick (obvious but essential) and B) lots of practice.

Top tip! Timing + brutal picking = Metal win.

Hence, practice picking brutally with your metronome.
Muddy tone is from ridiculously low tunings, not low mid. Not way in hell will turning gain down help attack. That's like turning your treble down and bass up. Gain should be turned down on distortion if you want to play classic rock with stuff like Van Halen or Def Leppard.

Take Machine Head or Disturbed for example, their guitar sound is "muddy", cause they play in at least Drop C.

The reason why for example Lamb Of God have a very harsh attack metal sound is because they only play in drop D.

Mid should be turned up for solos, that's a fact

And mate, I'd take spelling lessons instead of learning guitar if you really have being doing this for a long time, just makes yourself look stupid :P
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Uncool.
Last edited by Eddie's'Waitor at Nov 30, 2009,
Lol, each to his own when it comes to tone guys. Scooping the mids will indeed lend more attack to the sound and that's what he's looking for.

Also a hard pick as has been said, and a robust strum. Possibly a higher action on the guitar could help too.

I reckon gear has more to do with it than you think though. It's a LOT easier to get a good metal sound with say, a Jackson through a Mesa Boogie than it is with a Strat through a Twin Reverb. Yes, a few metal players probably use the latter but they also probably have a distortion pedal and the likes to help out there.