Hey guys, i'm looking for some opinions on this beast. Ive almost saved up enough pennies for this thing, and iv'e really been looking forward to getting it. Prolly short after christmas. If anyone has opinions on this, please, feel free to share. I play TBDM, ATG, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, that stuff, oh and some Necrophagist occasionally. \--/ rock on bros (and girls.. =P)
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.
Nice, I want one too. If you,ve tried it out and liike it then there's no reason to not get it. I tried out a lot of guitars a while ago and that was my favourite by far. If it's as good for you then
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
They're nice. The Blackouts are nice if you like them... I'm not a huge fan of active pickups, but Blackouts are the best ones I've ever heard.

Very BR00T4L distortions and even some sparkly cleans. Just don't use the bridge pickup for cleans, unless you want the guitar to implode.

You see, Seymour Duncan crammed a lot of power into the bridge Blackout and if it can't let out all the power, it creates a black hole and the whole guitar vanishes from your hands.

Why else would they call it a Blackout?
you should probably compare it to the hellraiser c-1 to see if you like the emgs better. IMO blackouts sound better but plenty of people prefer emgs.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
whats the opinions on the passive version just not the ATX, im not a fan of the finish so im considering it
Please tell me you are buying a new amp for those Active Pickups...
Don't want to sound like an elitist, but actives through a HRD is blasphemy.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
naw kurt im not, im only 13 lol, whatcha see is whatcha get. besides i have the sound scooped so that even my MIM strat sounds br00tal!! I have my MT-2 pedal mids scooped so i get that super dry sound and can get an amazing tone. I spose it might make a difference for the actives though.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

I guarantee you'd have better tone with a higher gain amp using its built in distortion (sell the hot rod deluxe and get yourself a nice Line 6 Flextone-yes, it's not tube, yadda yadda. I don't care).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've played the trem version and I loved it, and the finish is great IMO, the white looks nicer but I'm sure the black feels nicer (matte?)

I'd go for it, but to realize it's full potential, you might want to get a different amp
Quote by oneblackened
I guarantee you'd have better tone with a higher gain amp using its built in distortion (sell the hot rod deluxe and get yourself a nice Line 6 Flextone-yes, it's not tube, yadda yadda. I don't care).

The Flextone is probably the best solid-state amp IMO also, don't worry.

Anyways, TS, I'd suggest get the ATX. Lots of bang for your buck.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
The Flextone is probably the best solid-state amp IMO also, don't worry.

Anyways, TS, I'd suggest get the ATX. Lots of bang for your buck.

The Line 6 Vetta says hello.

TS, the bands you listed in your OP, is that the style of music you play primarily? If yes, you should sell that Fender HRD and buy yourself a high-gain amp. If no, then keep the HRD and keep saving, sell your distortion pedals, and buy yourself a high gain amp.

Hell, I'd even go as far as telling you to not bother buying a new guitar yet, and just buy a high gain amp, that MIM Fat Strat could pull off metal from a high-gain amp. To add to your budget for an amp, you can sell those petals, because they will be useless once you have a good high-gain amp.

Just throwing that out there for you.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Thanks guys, yeah that is all the music i primarily listen to. I appreciate all the suggestions!
Stumped on whether to get the FR version or not. I prolly wouldnt use it all the much, but seeing as i play necrophagist, they toy with their tremolos quite a bit. Not sure, cuz i go from B tuning up to D. I never really play in E standard.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you have two guitars, you can use the BlackJack for necro...phagist... and the other one for whatever else.

So tune the Blackjack for Necrophagist and the other guitar to whatever you want. I know how you feel about the Floyd. I'd really love to have a Floyd, but I'd feel like I'd only have that guitar for one tuning and I switch from E standard to Drop D and Drop Db quite a lot.

I mean the Drop D thing would be that bad, but still. I'd rather get a one-way divebomb tremolo bridge with locking tuners.
exactly, im constantly hopping around from C to D sometimes E but not very often, so i think ima go without it.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

Hi,
I got mine last week and I've been playing it quite a lot. Here's my sum up about it:

The satin finish on the neck + ebony fretboard makes it quite a lot less slippy than a glossy finish with rosewood fingerboard. At first it feels a lot "slower", but already now I'm starting to pick up speed with it. Remains to be seen that is this just something I must get used to, or is there really a performance difference in the end. A good thing is that when your hands get swetty they don't slip that much. A bad thing is that it really feels like there's a lot of friction on the fretboard.

It's schecter, so the neck is very thick and big. Feels sturdy but awkward at first, but i'm getting used to it by now. Picking up my old ESP with a thinner neck feels good, but so does the schecter again when i swap back to it. Need more time on deciding if one is "better". High frets on low strings are a bit hard to press.

The blackouts. I run it through Roland Cube 60 here, and at the guitar shop I tested it through Cube30 with other guitars. Especially i compared it to EMG. The EMGs sound is crispier but lacks depth and loudness (compared to blackouts with same settings, this can surely be compensated with proper amps). To give an example, the blackouts gave higher desibel levels even with same volume settings than the EMGs. The cleans are good, smooth and fat on blackouts, no need to worry about getting distorted cleans atleast for me. The EMG sound though is something i also like, it's very "metallish" and with proper amps it's quite brutal. But then again, i also tested the blackjack on Huges&kettner, marshall JVM and Blackstar s1 200 heads and cabins with really loud volume, and it sounded really sick. Very brutal especially on the blackstar. So, you can't go wrong with blackouts, it's only if you love the special EMG "bright" crisp distortion more. At the store i felt personally that the blackouts sounded "better". I suggest everyone who's deciding between EMG and blackouts that they go to a guitar store and really compare the two themselves.

Hope this helps. In conclusion i'm happy with my guitar. Paid 800eur for it.
Quote by mahtikebab
Hi,
I got mine last week and I've been playing it quite a lot. Here's my sum up about it:

The satin finish on the neck + ebony fretboard makes it quite a lot less slippy than a glossy finish with rosewood fingerboard. At first it feels a lot "slower", but already now I'm starting to pick up speed with it. Remains to be seen that is this just something I must get used to, or is there really a performance difference in the end. A good thing is that when your hands get swetty they don't slip that much. A bad thing is that it really feels like there's a lot of friction on the fretboard.

It's schecter, so the neck is very thick and big.

I call BS on both things bolded.
First, Satin+ebony=ridiculously slippery.
Second, schecters do not have big necks-maybe compared to an Ibanez or an ESP, but they're by no means big.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I call BS on both things bolded.
First, Satin+ebony=ridiculously slippery.
Second, schecters do not have big necks-maybe compared to an Ibanez or an ESP, but they're by no means big.

Perhaps you got a different guitar or just haven't even tried this guitar. Sating+ebony is definitely on my guitar way stickier than on my glossy rosewood esp. Perhaps i can wax it to make it more slippery, not sure. Second, the neck is the biggest one i've ever tested, tried fender, esp, jackson, PRS. Maybe there are bigger ones also. I don't know what you are comparing to but these are facts, and i don't know why you are calling them bs because i'm just stating them as they are. They aren't opinions :O
Last edited by mahtikebab at Oct 22, 2009,
My Schecter ATX in Aged Black has a neck which is thinner than my MIM strat's. Also the neck is awesomely smooth and fast, as well as the fretboard.