Hey I tripped over my acoustic guitar this morning and it fell off the stand and hit the ground. i now notice that there is a huge crack on the back of my guitar running down it about 4-5 inches long. in order to fix it, I am thinking about taking the paint off with 80 grit sandpaper, and using mixed wood glue and sawdust to go over the crack, then sand it with 220 then 500 paint finish then sand then finish again. Would this work. I don’t think it would change the sound at all.
Quote by rocker222
its a taylor so many years together

How much you pay?
at lmi they talk about fixing cracked guitar wood with superglue. if you try wood glue, i wouldn't use sawdust because there's nothing missing from the area - and doing a repair OVER a crack isn't a good idea. you want glue IN the crack and then held together. that's what someone did years ago with my husband's j-45 and it's been quite stable.
Quote by patticake
at lmi they talk about fixing cracked guitar wood with superglue. if you try wood glue, i wouldn't use sawdust because there's nothing missing from the area - and doing a repair OVER a crack isn't a good idea. you want glue IN the crack and then held together. that's what someone did years ago with my husband's j-45 and it's been quite stable.

thanks for the reply yea ill supper glue it together.
Take it to a guitar repairman. That sounds like a big fix, and even if you think you know what you're doing, chances are you're not capable of returning the instrument to its previous state - a good professional, on the other hand, can work wonders.
while that's what i would do, without question, i perhaps falsely assumed that anyone who was going to put wood glue and sawdust over the crack wasn't likely to go to a repair shop. thanks for your input

Quote by David Collins
Good Lord almighty, stop what you're doing and don't touch it!

Take it in to a good repair shop - everything you've said so far are things you should not even think about doing. Try to fix it yourself, and you're likely going to do more harm than good, judging by the options considered here so far.

It may be a simple repair for someone who knows what they're doing, but if you try to fix this yourself chances are good that you'll turn a simple, serviceable problem, in to a major or irreparable issue.

Fixing a crack is easy for a good repair person. Fixing a crack which somebody who didn't know what they were doing tried to fix before however, is not.
Quote by David Collins
Good Lord almighty, stop what you're doing and don't touch it!

Take it in to a good repair shop - everything you've said so far are things you should not even think about doing. Try to fix it yourself, and you're likely going to do more harm than good, judging by the options considered here so far.

It may be a simple repair for someone who knows what they're doing, but if you try to fix this yourself chances are good that you'll turn a simple, serviceable problem, in to a major or irreparable issue.

Fixing a crack is easy for a good repair person. Fixing a crack which somebody who didn't know what they were doing tried to fix before however, is not.

not everyone has the money to have someone fix the guitar for them lost my job dude
Quote by rocker222
not everyone has the money to have someone fix the guitar for them lost my job dude

Is the instrument still functional? If it is and the crack is parallel with the wood grains, leave it. It won't get any worse any time soon.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Is the instrument still functional? If it is and the crack is parallel with the wood grains, leave it. It won't get any worse any time soon.

yea sounds great still, that guitar is put together very well. but im just kinda worreyd that the crack would get worse if i dont do anything to it.
Quote by David Collins
If you don't have the money to have it fixed, at least do this -

Put the guitar aside, and don't try anything until you're sure you're doing the right thing. Get some pictures up, and people will better be able to offer advice for the proper way to address the problem. As of yet I don't think anyone else can even have a good understanding of where and what the problem is.

Filling a crack does no good at all, and ignoring it will make it more difficult to repair in the future after it gets contaminated and filled with dirt and oils, and continues to spread further. Super glue can be appropriate for some areas, but not typically for this. I'm not even entirely sure yet where this crack is that we're talking about. It's the neck, right? Parallel with the grain, directly behind the truss rod and perpendicular to the fingerboard, off to the side, under and parallel to the fingerboard, near the headstock, near the heel - there are a lot of unknowns here.

Chances are it's a simple repair that you can handle yourself, but you just need to approach it the right way. Set it aside and don't touch it for a few days, until you're sure you're not going to take a crack that could be easily and perfectly repaired, and turn it in to a mess that can't be undone.

thanks for the adivce its kindly apreciated, yea it seems like a minor crack off to the side not in the middle. its near the head right under the nut on the backside. i dont have a camra so i cant take pictures. but it looks realy minnor. like i said it still sounds good.
Last edited by rocker222 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by rocker222
its near the head right under the nut on the backside.

Ahh. I had the impression that the crack was on the back part of the body.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Ahh. I had the impression that the crack was on the back part of the body.

lol no on the backside of the guitar neck.
Quote by David Collins
Okay - that's not what I was initially picturing, but typically a pretty simple repair that you should be able to hand on your own.

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but I've just seen far too many cases where someone posts a problem on a forum, then jumps right in to repairing it based on the first advice they get, and end up taking a small problem with a simple solution in to a big irreversible mess. Just didn't want to see that happen here, and the best solution is just to make sure haste is avoided.

I'm still not entirely clear on the crack position though. If I understand correctly - it starts from near the nut, and moves toward the body, visible on the both sides of the neck just below the fingerboard? To make it more clear, with no string tension would the crack pull open if you pulled the headstock back away from the fretboard side, or pushed it forward toward it? And is this a modern Taylor with the finger joint headstock, or the old style one piece neck?

yea its only visable on the back of the neck. you can't see it on the freet board.
starts from the left side of the first fret under the nut and runs down diagnally from the side of the guitar to about the 3rd freet. yea theres no string tension no pulling on the neck. it only creeks when i press on the crack lightly. yea its finger jointed but it looks the same as i had it yesturday before it fell. im starting to understand how minnor this is. thanks dude for the help.
Quote by patticake
can you post a pic or two or the damage?

i wish i had a camera it would be realy helpfull now. sorry man i cant i dont have the equipment to do that.
I feel for you man, the worst ive had with any of mine was a screw from the machine head slipped and all the grooves got cut out, all i had to do was glue a toothpick in it and rescrew, but it scared me.

i would cry if i got a crack
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by Mr.Pink101
I feel for you man, the worst ive had with any of mine was a screw from the machine head slipped and all the grooves got cut out, all i had to do was glue a toothpick in it and rescrew, but it scared me.

i would cry if i got a crack

lol a toothpick thats totaly rigging it. yea it could be way worse the crack could be on both sides im so lucky about that. i realy think that just a dab of wood glue would tottaly fix it. i just have to find a way to hold it, i think vice grips would make a dent in the guitar even if i put a block of wood between the neck and the vice grip. yea dude i was totaly freaking out when i heard a bang louder than i wanted it to be.