What are some exercises I can use to play faster? I have been playing for like 3 years (i started getting serious a little over a year ago) and I can not play anything fast for the life of me. And I don't mean speed/thrash metal fast. I mean simple licks in classic rock solos and stuff. Also, some riffs like off of the first Van Halen album. Now I personally think I have great vibrato, pretty good finger strength, and I have a good sense of time. I just can't seem to play faster stuff and when I try to improvise, my playing suffers because of it. If I am going to play a solo for hard rock I can't be playing 8th notes at 80 bpm. I know everybody says practice but I have been trying for a long time (like a year) and I have gotten nowhere
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Everyone has different learning curves, despite what anyone says speed comes with time IMO. The best you can do to help it is practice with a metronome gradually increasing bpm. Try different exercises or solos, anything will work, but stick with the metronome, it'll also help your precision.

^^ Great exercises in the sticky, download them, you'll get a folder with everything from speed trainers to sweep-taps.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

There's no way you haven't gotten better. Guitar is one of those things that you improve at every time you pick it up. Even if you aren't faster than you were a year ago (which is doubtful), you're probably playing much cleaner, with better time, etc. Speed isn't everything. It just comes with time.
Even if you aren't faster than you were a year ago (which is doubtful), you're probably playing much cleaner, with better time, etc. Speed isn't everything. It just comes with time.

See? Exactly what I said. I have already gotten much cleaner picking and gotten a better sense of time but I can't seem to acquire that speed. I will check out the sticky. Which exercises do you suggest?

EDIT: The supposedly easiest for the alternate/economy picking is Technical Difficulties? Is that excluding the begininng and stuff? If not, then I need some slower suggestions
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Oct 20, 2009,
look for a speed trainer, that's pretty good, although I recommend playing anything with a metronome

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Speed Trainer? Would a drum machine suffice? I have one built in my keyboard but there is no simple metronome setting.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Yeah, my request in the first place was exercises or songs to practice with. But the easiest one on the list in your sticky is Technical Difficulties which is a little advanced for me. I was asking if there was something a little slower (not too much) that I could use. Then after that I will try technical difficulties
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
It sounds like you are doing the right thing - practicing at slow to moderate tempos and such. So most likely you have a flaw in your technique somewhere that's holding you back from playing faster.

I think your first step is diagnosing the problem. Take a lick that you know well. Play it slowly at first, then keep gradually increasing the tempo until you have trouble. Observe exactly what is happening when you have trouble. Do you tense up? Or does your left hand fall out of sync with your right? Or do your fingers get confused and become a jumbled mess (that's lack of finger independence combined with tension). Or are your movements just too big to play fast? Once you figure this out, you should have a good idea about what to work on to solve the problem.
Quote by Polystant
Yeah, my request in the first place was exercises or songs to practice with. But the easiest one on the list in your sticky is Technical Difficulties which is a little advanced for me. I was asking if there was something a little slower (not too much) that I could use. Then after that I will try technical difficulties

Try Technical difficulties at 40% speed. Thats what I use to play to improve speed actually. also my 5 hour practice days for a year helped.. You have to work on speed if u expect to improve. Its like anything in life, if you work cardio you're not going to be very strong. If you run sprints you wont have much endurance.. yadda yadda.
^ Good point. You don't have to be able to nail something at full speed in order to be able to benefit greatly from learning it.
A big thing that helped me was Guitar Pro. If you don't already have it, I suggest you try it out. You can download the tab for Technical Difficulties and play it at half speed. That's what I did for a while and it helped alot. Also jamming with guiar pro hardly feels like practice
I hate my sig
The list of songs int he sticky were never actually arranged by difficulty.
FP, any chance we can throw that in the sticky? People keep asking for things easier than Various songs that are supposed to be the easiest in the list, except they aren't really the easiest....granted, if they simply played the part slower than the normal song they could use it to practice whatever technique, but a decent number of people don't seem to understand that.
Thanks. That had be a little confused. It looked like that was what was implied
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by TheShred201
The list of songs int he sticky were never actually arranged by difficulty.
FP, any chance we can throw that in the sticky? People keep asking for things easier than Various songs that are supposed to be the easiest in the list, except they aren't really the easiest....granted, if they simply played the part slower than the normal song they could use it to practice whatever technique, but a decent number of people don't seem to understand that.

It would be sweet to work on technique and be able to come away with a great song to play without spending years on one particular technique though, don't you agree?
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
It would be sweet to work on technique and be able to come away with a great song to play without spending years on one particular technique though, don't you agree?

^The Truth^
I hate my sig