Does anyone know how to break really bad playing habits? I keep useing my pinkey for bar chords that i should only use my index and third finger for and it causes my hand to cramp. can anyone help?
Practice the correct way until it becomes habitual. Start out slow and deliberate. Put yourself in total control of all of your movements. This will be slow. It will become muscle memory to do things correctly eventually and your movements will become fluid. Just start very slow and work up from there.
Why is it bad to use your pinky for barre chords? Your hand cramping just means it isn't strong enough yet.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
That's true. I'd recommend against not using your pinky - it's so useful and so many people don't use it.
Quote by maidenvalentine
Does anyone know how to break really bad playing habits?

You just stop. No, actually first you identify the problem. A lot of people don't even know when they have improper technique.
Now that you know what you're doing wrong, you know what not to do. So just adjust your playing to accommodate proper technique and start from scratch. The slow practice will help you ingrain the new way of playing.