Basically, my guitar teacher got a new guitar today. During my lesson actually. An absolutely beautiful, handmade, one-of-a-kind Martin D28 copy. I've been looking for a Martin guitar lately that felt like something I'd pay a million dollars for, and as a result have played a few D-28's that were amazing. This guitar sounded, felt and smelled every bit as good as those D-28's. Only it looked much sexier to me. But just playing it I felt like a better musician, which I know sounds ludicrous, but it felt true to me.

Anyway, it's one-of-a-kind, and it's fairly clear that my guitar teacher loves it as much as I do. So basically, anyone here who's in England, if you know a luthier who made a guitar along these lines as a prototype for a new line that didn't go through for the owner of a small American guitar brand that he's been bugging to let him do so for a while, could you find out how much another one would cost?

~Sans cutaway Dreadnought body
~14th fret body-neck connection
~Solid spruce top(Not sure of the side woods)
~Matrin-style headstock
~Grover Mini-Rotomatic tuners
~Rosewood fretboard and bridgepiece(Finish on the bridgepiece that made it smooth and slick as if finished with polyurethane)
~Mother of pearl headstock inlay and rose-pattern inlay down the fretboard
~Tobaccoburst finish with mother-of-pearl roses at the lower corners of the body
~What material was it...I think it was rhino-bone nut, string pegs and such?

I apologize for the sketchy description, if this stays relevant for a week then I'll take some pictures of it next Tuesday when I next go for a lesson as a reference.

And if nothing, hen any recommendations for a replacement? Because after playing that my poor old acoustic sitting behind me feels like a toy, I need a guitar like that now.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 20, 2009,
You can't really estimate a cost with just the features. How much the guitar is going to cost depends heavily on who's making it for you, their level of expertise, grade of materials used, how large their operation is, etc.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
One-off guitars built by an individual (edit: often) start at around $4000 US and go up quickly as you add features, so be ready to part with a fair bit of cash if you opt to go that route. I'm not familiar with many English luthiers (Tom Mates maybe?), but I'd imagine they charge in the same ballpark as those in the US.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
One-off guitars built by an individual start at around $4000 US and go up quickly as you add features, so be ready to part with a fair bit of cash if you opt to go that route. I'm not familiar with many English luthiers (Tom Mates maybe?), but I'd imagine they charge in the same ballpark as those in the US.

There are lesser-known, less expensive luthiers out there. I know of one (in the US) with a $2200 base price who makes excellent instruments, and another (once again in the US) who makes INCREDIBLE instruments, with a $2500 base price on his most expensive model.

It just takes a bit of searching.
^ For sure. How well known a luthier really plays a huge key in how much you're going to pay. They still build beautiful handcrafted instruments though, no doubt. Look at Manzer in Toronto. She can charge $45,000 for one of her used archtops and get away with it. Is it better than any other custom archtop? Probably not.
Equipment:

Exactly. John Kingslight has pretty reasonable prices, and just listen to Erik Mongrain's guitar! It's incredible!
Erik Mongrain uses Rainsong and Guild... doesn't he?
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Erik Mongrain uses Rainsong and Guild... doesn't he?

Well, he's selling the Guild that he uses. But yeah, mostly Rainsongs. He's also got a prototype PRS acoustic and a Kingslight. Both look DAMN sexy.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
Well, he's selling the Guild that he uses. But yeah, mostly Rainsongs. He's also got a prototype PRS acoustic and a Kingslight. Both look DAMN sexy.

He's selling EVERYTHING but Elora, which is what he calls his Kingslight.

Just look at his website forum. He wants to get rid of everything but Elora, and he's got a custom Rainsong JM3000 coming in that's set up for use with 6 strings and has no built-in electronics.
Dang. That thing is beautiful. I would be surprised if he sold the PRS acoustic too. It's a prototype after all.

Man... those Kingslight are so good looking. It's temping me to go that direction if I ever buy a more expensive guitar as opposed to an Avalon or Lowden.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Dang. That thing is beautiful. I would be surprised if he sold the PRS acoustic too. It's a prototype after all.

Man... those Kingslight are so good looking. It's temping me to go that direction if I ever buy a more expensive guitar as opposed to an Avalon or Lowden.

Oh man, do I wish there was a Lowden dealer near me. The closest is about three hours away in New York City. They're possibly some of the nicest I've ever played.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Haha, yeah, they do look fantastic. I don't like how much they seem to amplify all the unwanted sounds, though. It seems like they're almost too responsive or something. Anyway, having the strings themselves making noises as loud as the notes I'm playing, I don't think I'd be able to enjoy a Kingslight.

I'm a big fan of the way the Kevin Clark A-wedge looks, though. I think it's cheaper, too. I might go for one of them some day.