Basically what it says on the tin....

Im looking to buy a five watt (you read right) valve head for £100 and i have a 150 watt laney combo and was wondering if i could use the head instead and just use the speaker of the combo?
Yes, if you do some re-wiring.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah don't run it though the input on the combo amp. the voltage level and stuff will blow it
I want to change between the laney and the valve head easily without any wiring , there is the combo option for amp which is just £15 more but then i cant run it through different cabs
splurge & buy a cab ==]
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
I'm not sure if this is easily accessible on the laney, but just plug the speaker chord from the laney and plug it into the new head.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by professorlamp
I want to change between the laney and the valve head easily without any wiring , there is the combo option for amp which is just £15 more but then i cant run it through different cabs

Huh?

Why not?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
It might not have an external speaker out, MC
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
It might not have an external speaker out, MC

I figured that was what he meant, but I've never seen a tube combo that didn't have a speaker out
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I figured that was what he meant, but I've never seen a tube combo that didn't have a speaker out

My Palo didn't have one
--

--
I don't know if you can run a speaker that's reated for 150 watts with a five watt head. The way I understand it, it would be like running a Mustang (Ford, not Fender) with a Mini Cooper engine. Sure, it will work for a little bit, but there's jsut not enough juice, and it'll give out soon enough.

I tried to do something like this by using my old Fender Bass amp to run my Line 6 AX2 100 watt amp, but I didn't because my dad told me that, and he does electrical engineering.

But, if my dad and I are both wrong, then you still won't be able to get any louder than 4 watts (i.e., you can't get the Laney's volume and the head's tone at the same time).

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Not really. As long as the speaker is able to handle more peak wattage than the amp puts out, you'll be fine. If you switched it (5 watt speaker, 150 watt head), then you'd melt a voice coil.

And that's technically not true either. The wattage that an amp is rated for is the wattage it's pushing just before breakup/clipping. So a 5 watt amp is pushing 5 watts just before it starts to saturate (by the power tubes). It's pushing more the more you crank it up.

At least that's how I understood it from a sticky somewhere on here.
--

--
TS: if the lanney doesn't have a speaker jack (like a 1/4in jack coming form the speaker into the back of the amp, you can just wire a 1/4 inch jack onto the speaker cable, than run a A/B switcher, and one 14inch cable to your head you're purchasing, and the other into your laney. (you can just solder the speaker wire to the laney's existing one)

as long as the ohms work out.

SO like

1/4 jack from a/b box with other end soldered to laney's existing cable
|
|
1/4in jack into A/B Box - - - - - - - - speaker
|
|
1/4 inch jack from a/b box into head.

Than you could switch back and forth, it's a good mod if you want to save money and not buy a cab.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Oct 20, 2009,
^Not exactly. The A/B switcher will need to have a dummy load on both amps at all times, a simple A/B box will not work.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SimplyBen
What 5 Watt head are you getting for £100?

im still in early stages but the epiphone valve junior 5W , its either that or maybe im thinking of getting an orange crush 15 , i want a small /highend-ish amp that does cleans really well and im not br00talz so i dont care about oodles and oodles of gain , it's for studio use really so i want a good sounding one obviously but i wont be playing it live unless i can mic it up , any suggestions?
Check out the Harley Benton ag5 head or combo, it's supposed to be a better, cheaper version of the valve junior. I'm considering one myself.
Quote by MatrixClaw
^Not exactly. The A/B switcher will need to have a dummy load on both amps at all times, a simple A/B box will not work.

I understand that, that's not what i wanted to use the a/b box for.

I mean to turn on one head, and have the a/b box set to that head to the speaker, than when you want to use the other head, you switch the a/b and turn on the other one (before all this you shut off the bottom head.

It's kind of risky if one of your friends just turns on one of your heads, and it has no load though.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808