Page 1 of 2
So these are the things Im looking for in a new amp... Something that can do great classic rock/blues rock tones but also has a fairly acceptable clean sound plus a reverb. I dont plan on playing any metal or anything but just rock and blues. Think from Clapton style blues to AC-DC/Ozzy/New Creed type tones (I know Creed dont get much love, but Tremonti's tone on the new album is actually really nice).

Must be a tube combo, under $1000, and more then 5 watts but less the 40.

Im only going to really be playing around my house but want the power should I decide to play elsewhere too. I'll be playing my Les Paul through it so something that can cope with a darker sounding guitar.

Amps I had looked at already are the Bugera V-22 and the Marshall Haze... Any thoughts or suggestions?
Don't go for the Haze. It sounds good, but quality control isn't good at all.

Fender Blues Jr, especially the NOS version, would suit you methinks.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Used Budda Superdrive 18? The only thing is that it doesn't have reverb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Used Budda Superdrive 18? The only thing is that it doesn't have reverb.

I Use a T-rex tonebug reverb with my SD 18 and it sounds great!
peavey classic 30?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Yeah I'd go with the Classic 30, I can definitely see it doing that.
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
I wouldn't make reverb a requirement. I find amp reverb unsatisfying most of the time anyways. You can get a pedal or box that will do a better job.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Im not a big fan of Budda's though. I played one a while back and honestly wasn't blown away by it. Especially for the price. Fenders dont really have the gain Im after though either. I've played through several Fender amps before and found that for anything more modern in the area of rock I had to boost it with a pedal. I kind of dont want to have to do that. And as for the reverb, there are good pedals out there but nothing beats a good old fashioned spring reverb tank and I have yet to fing a pedal that can emulate that perfectly. Plus I dont really want to tapdance around on alot of pedals, so...
Quote by music_mike
Im not a big fan of Budda's though. I played one a while back and honestly wasn't blown away by it. Especially for the price. Fenders dont really have the gain Im after though either. I've played through several Fender amps before and found that for anything more modern in the area of rock I had to boost it with a pedal. I kind of dont want to have to do that. And as for the reverb, there are good pedals out there but nothing beats a good old fashioned spring reverb tank and I have yet to fing a pedal that can emulate that perfectly. Plus I dont really want to tapdance around on alot of pedals, so...

You're the first person I've heard to say that Budda amps don't have good tone and the first to say that they're not good for the price.

Second, the Malekko Spring Chicken is an excellent reverb pedal, and you don't need to "tapdance" on a reverb pedal when it's always on. There are tons of amps that have non-footswitchable reverb that I'm sure you'd be more than content with.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
You're the first person I've heard to say that Budda amps don't have good tone and the first to say that they're not good for the price.

Well for $1500 for an 18 watt amp I expected to sound like Jesus playing lead for Lynyrd Skynyrd with an angel band, but I didnt. lol.. But it wasnt that the amp wasnt good, but I was just expecting more from it.
Quote by Raijouta
Second, the Malekko Spring Chicken is an excellent reverb pedal, and you don't need to "tapdance" on a reverb pedal when it's always on. There are tons of amps that have non-footswitchable reverb that I'm sure you'd be more than content with.

I havent used that reverb pedal before, but all of the ones I have played havent been that good. But then again they werent boutique pedals. I just dont like the idea of having alot of pedals. I have been known to go ape shit on buying pedals in the past and if I start buying one reverb pedal 'll end up with a full pedal board full of things that I never use. If I dont buy an amp that has what I want in it then I'll end up spending money out the ass trying to make it sound the way I want and it never fully will. But my old Traynor YCV40 had an always on reverb and it never was much of a problem... :shurg:
For your info, the V22 doesn't have a reverb tank, it just has modelled reverb, just like every reverb pedal ever. It is a good amp though. I actually like it more than the Classic 30. A Blues Junior is also a good idea.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Raijouta

I played a 30, and I was, in all honesty, unimpressed. Yeah, it sounded pretty good, but the control layout was confusing as **** and it was kinda muddy, at least to me.

You should look into a silverface Deluxe Reverb, or, if you could find one, an old Valco Thunderbolt.

If you're on a budget, go with the Classic 30.

STREDIT: I'll support a Blues Jr NOS, and a Crate V22 as well.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Yeah but Fenders dont have enough gain for modern rock. They can do clean, blues, and slightly classic rock, but classic rock is pushing it to its limit. And I didnt know what the V22 had, I just knew it had reverb...

What about the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25? That looks really promising... And the 110 isnt much more then what I had asked for in price range...
The Express series is said to be among the worst amps that Mesa has ever made, sometimes said to be THE worst.

You'd be much better off with a used Mark III, F series, DC series or Lonestar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Ok, well since yall dont seem to like the Mesa's what about the new 6505+ 112 combo thats coming out soon?
Quote by music_mike
Yeah but Fenders dont have enough gain for modern rock. They can do clean, blues, and slightly classic rock, but classic rock is pushing it to its limit. And I didnt know what the V22 had, I just knew it had reverb...

What about the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25? That looks really promising... And the 110 isnt much more then what I had asked for in price range...

If you toss an OD in front, it'll have plenty enough gain for classic rock. All classic rock and blues is really poweramp saturation. Why not just get a smaller, 15 watt amp that you can somewhat crank and push into overdrive with a boost?
--

--
Tremonti uses a rectifier stack with a ton of base and shit loads of gain. I can't think of an amp that would give you that with a great blues tone.

What about a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Line 6 DM4? The treadplate model can come really close to that tone.

I have always found with big gain tones you have to give up something. That is unless you have thousands to spend on a 4 channel amp or have something built.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by music_mike
Ok, well since yall dont seem to like the Mesa's what about the new 6505+ 112 combo thats coming out soon?

Who said anything about hating Mesas?

All I said was that the Express series is considered to be among the worst that they've made. All of the amps I mentioned after are Mesas, you know.

The 6505 isn't my or most peoples' first choice for blues, rock and cleans. They're metal machines through and through.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Oct 20, 2009,
IMO the bugera v22 is awesome. perfect for what you described. all id suggest if you got one just switch out the speaker to something more suited to your preference. and for the price its a steal
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
Quote by music_mike
Yeah but Fenders dont have enough gain for modern rock. They can do clean, blues, and slightly classic rock, but classic rock is pushing it to its limit. .

Have you played a fender supersonic or prosonic?

A used supersonic fits the bill here perfectly imo, you should try one. Two great clean channel voices and a cascading gain channel. The reverb is just fine on it.

Edit: *taps mic*
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 20, 2009,
Stratman, I dont just want classic rock... I also want a modern rock tone... So just tossing an OD in front of a Fender wont get me that. I need more power then a Fender.

Anthony, I know someone like Tremonti's rig is way more then I can afford or even need but that was just the first person that came to mind as far as a modern rock tone that I like. I dont have to have a great blues tone because thats not all that I want to play, its just something that I noodle around with on my own time trying to pick up techniques and such. Most people never hear me play blues stuff, but its something I want to be able to do. I just dont want some uber high gain metal amp that cant clean up enough to do some bluesy style stuff.

raijouta, I know you didnt say you hated Mesa's. I guess what I meant by that was that you had heard that that series of Mesa amps wasnt any good and since you had heard that what else was an option...
Eh, that's what I get through skimming through an op.
--

--
Greg's suggestions was a great one. The supersonic has great cleans and plenty of gain for more modern stuff.

Look at Traynor stuff like a YCV40 or YCV50. I know you don't want 50 watts, but in reality, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between 40 and 50 watts.

Look at Ampeg. Maybe a Reverberocket? I play blues and classic rock, and my gain doesn't get past 4 or 5, usually, so I'd assume it could reach Creed levels of gain with a humbucker equipped guitar.

Vox AC30 used? Maybe an early silverface Fender with an OD pedal? Just some ideas.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I will say the Supersonic's got the goods, but the Peavey classic 30 is the way to go.

Great amp for the dough, mods easy.
With that kind of money to spend, I think the TS can do better than a Classic 30. They're good amps for the money used, at around $300, but they don't stack up with some of the amps he can afford, IMO.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I have played a Super-sonic once at GC and it does have alot of gain, but more like vintage Marshall gain. It just doesnt have the modern edge Im after. Plus its 60 watts and I dont need that much.

I used to have a Traynor YVC40 and it again didnt really sound as modern as Im after now. It was a nice amp, but just not what Im after.

I havent tried Ampegs or Ac30's cause those are kinda hard to find around here, but I will try to track some down...
Well, to my ears, the Peav can hang with more than it's worth, just needs some love (that is, speaker, tubes, bias adjustment, etc.)...

But if the dollars make sense, go for more, I guess.

How about a /13 EDT or LDW? ($$$whoa$$$) better go used...
Fargen Mini or Mighty Plex? Blackbird?

More realistically, I hear good things about newcomer Jet City, if you're interested in the Soldano sound.

Really, though, with one large, I'd look into Orange, Vox, or the aforementioned Supersonic.
Maybe a used Bogner Alchemist?
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Maybe a used Bogner Alchemist?

Could not pull a usable clean (ish) blues sound out of this, just didn't have the depth.

Pushed into some dirt, and it got closer, but not as close as any Fender out there.

I will say the gain had a sh!t-ton of usable range, and anywhere on the dial, it was easy to pull any fizz out of it.

Awesome amp, but it's not gonna sing the blues, IMHO...
Yeah, I've played Bogners and the Alchemist cant really do all that I would like. They are cool though, but when you get into Bogners, I prefer the Shiva over the Alchemist. But then again, the shiva cant do all that I would like either.
A YCV50Blue does fit the bill as well. Way under a grand.

Which craigslist in TX are you closest to. There's a lot of good deals on used stuff out there right now with the current eco-scare.
YCV50 sounds about right, gregs.

I tired the Nomad once, I didn't really like it. Not so big on the cleans
--

--
^^^Not a bad call at all, don't know why I wasn't thinking Mesa...

What about Lonestars? I KNOW they can pull the classic blues/rock, they're not too far off blackface Fenders, and the dirt sounds close enough to AC/DC to me. but I admit I'm not really familiar with Tremonti's tone.

As long as it doesn't need EXTREME gain, I bet the Lonestar could do it.
It'd be even better if he could find a used Roadster. That'll do just about everything. Even pull some convincing AC/DC from it.

Maybe try a Laney AOR? Or a Peavey VTM could work too.

Actually, they're more Brit voiced than American. Great for classic, but not Tremonti.
--

--
if the TS coughs up a city, we can find something decent on clist. til then, we're spinning our tails here in a way.
+1 jess

AOR is the way to go.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
+1 jess

AOR is the way to go.

says the guy that wasn't overly crazy about the cleans...

They weren't amazing no, but the OD own's everything else unless you plan on buying a real JCM
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2