Im looking to get a new amp this christmas, with a budget of about 380€ (570$?) and im not sure what to get. I need it for practicing with my band and small gigs, and i want a mid gain amp, so i looked at the reccomendations in the amp sticky and i was thinking about the Peavey ValveKing.
I found a link for it on a cheap website that i could get it off
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Guitar-Amp/4KG

I would need the amp to be good for classic rock stuff but also be able to handle cleans too...
Does anyone have any reccomendations for other amps that would be suitable, or any information about the ValveKing?

Thanks
i'd say the valveking is more of a mid-high gain amp- it's kind of a jack of all trades (yeah, i know i co-wrote the sticky, i haven't got round to updating it for years ).

how heavy do you get? something like a laney vc30 might work, if it has enough clean headroom.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i actually have a fender 212 R
Its a bit cheapers (in price) but its a 100 watts(super loud) and its a fender, the clean channel is excellent and the drive is actually pretty good for classic rock.
The spring reverb on it is killer awesome.

you should check it out and even try it out for yourself:
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Frontman-212R-Amplifier-with-Reverb/9MI

just keep in mind that its solid state and not a tube amp like the peavey
Last edited by roybruno92 at Oct 20, 2009,
All the suggestions here other than Dave's are mehh. Laney, or Peavey Classic 30, or Bugera V22 are all Good ideas.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
^

the classic 30 might be slightly over budget, but it's probably close enough in price that if connie prefers it to the laney, it'd be worth saving the extra to get it. I haven't tried the bugera.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the responses! To answer your question I wouldn't really be playing anything too heavy at all. Thanks for all the suggestions, how do the laney vc30 ,the bugera and the peavey classic compare to each other? And would I be better off to advoid buying second hand online?
I can compare the Bugera and Peavey to you, but I'm not too experienced with the Laney. Both the Classic 30 and V22 are geared to rock, but they could do metal if you pushed them. I like the clean channel on the Peavey a bit more than the Bugera, but I found he Bugera to have a more defined gain channel. Both reverbs are good. The pentode triode switch on the V22 would be very useful. I think the Bugera is newer than the Peavey, so you might not be able to buy it used. If you're looking at new prices, the Bugera is cheaper. Both are loud enough to be heard in a band.

Hope this helps.

PM Dave if you have questions about the Laney .

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i haven't tried the bugera, but i've tried the laney and classic 30 head to head, cranked. the peavey probably gets slightly more modern, it can hit iron maiden on its own, even at low volumes, whereas the laney would have to be cranked (or used with a boost pedal) to hit maiden. I prefer the laney vc30, the classic 30 can sound a bit raucous and rattly when cranked (though they may have fixed that on the newer models), and I didn't notice that problem with the laney. The laney is possibly a little warmer in tone, the peavey is slightly more american in tone. It is close, and is likely to depend on where you are- the laney is cheaper in the UK and as such is usually the better choice unless you just prefer the voicing of the classic 30, and vice-versa in the USA, where the peavey is the obvious choice unless you just like the laney more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?