Ok I'm completely new to recording, and I need help.

The problem: There's a fast "ticking/clicking" sound when I listen to my recorded guitar. It stop when I stop playing, but starts again when I play.

I'll try to be as specific as I can about my situation...

My set-up is:
Guitar > Vox AC15 (Master 11o'clock, gain 9o'clock) > MXL 990 Condenser Mic (about 10cm away from the amp) > M-Audio USB Fast Track Pro > Cakewalk Sonar 8 Producer Edition.
I listen to what I've recorded with a JBL headphones, which are plugged into the Fast Track.

On Sonar 8, the dB meter usually varies between -18 and about -8 dB.

I tried: lowering my amp's volume, tweaking the track's volume and trim, tweaking the master's volume

If you need more info to help me, please tell me what it is so I may give it to you!

What do you think could be the problem? What should I do to fix it?...

Thanks!
Thats the metronome that is standard on all DAWS. You can shut it off by going to Options>Project>Metronome and uncheck both Playback and Recording. You should keep it though it can only help
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
No it's not the metronome, I'm sure of it. I turned it off...

I don't know how to describe the noise. It's a tick, but not a metronome's tick. It's pretty fast.
Any way you could get it recorded and post it so I can try to help more? It MAY be latency issues but I can't be sure. What kind of computer are you using?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
I'll try uploading it tomorrow

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit, 4gig RAM, Intel Core i7 processor
Do you hear the ticking noise when you hit the record button, without anything being recorded? Or is it only during play back?
Yeah if youre using ASIO drivers you shouldnt be having any problems. Check that you have ASIO drivers enabled.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Orange 2x12
Quote by Afterhours
Do you hear the ticking noise when you hit the record button, without anything being recorded? Or is it only during play back?

I only hear the noise during playback.

Quote by HyperBoy2519
Yeah if youre using ASIO drivers you shouldnt be having any problems. Check that you have ASIO drivers enabled.

My driver is set at WDM/KS. I tried switched it to ASIO, but then I couldn't use my Fast Track for recording (it wasn't in the list of the possible input/outputs)
I think you should try to isolate the problem. Is it the recording itself, or a hardware or driver issue.

First, you should try to listen to the recording with your headphones plugged directly into the computer's headphone jack. That would isolate the problem as being with the M-Audio USB Fast Track Pro.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said, "There's a fast "ticking/clicking" sound when I listen to my recorded guitar. It stops when I stop playing, but starts again when I play."
Does that mean that in the recording you only hear the ticking while the guitar is actually playing, but during silent parts (track still being played, but no guitar playing) there is no ticking? Also, is the timing of the ticking consistant like a metronome or does it vary?

If it is only while the guitar is playing, it could be the audio input (line-in) setting. If it's set too high, the line signal being sent to the Sonar 8 could be clipping from the start.
I'm talking about the computer's line-in setting, not the output volume setting.

If it happens even during silent parts of the track, then it is probably the drivers. In that case, you should try to reinstall the drivers.

Good luck,
I am having the same problem. It seems the ticking gets louder and faster as the audio gets louder. At the end of playback or when there is no audio you can faintly hear it. I have disconnected everything I don't need on the computer. No screen saver, no lan, no virus program, no home networking.. nothing loaded that is not needed. running windows 7, 8 gig o ram, hp quad, ATI & Realtek card and drivers. Have tried headphones in front jack, speakers, headphones in rear jack, 2 channel, surround sound.. have run out of ideas.. next I thought maybe a different sound card. Thanks and hope to get this resolved soon.
cell phone in your pocket? .... your pickups will pick up the cell phone sometimes and make a ticking noise
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here