Hey there,
Im having a really tough time making some decisions on some gear. I have been using an epiphone archotop guitar for awhile through a polytone mini brute III amp (both of which i dont actually own). I am getting a custom shop suhr archtop guitar. It is more or less semihollow. im going for more of that modern sound w/ extra versatility for playing other genres of music (i practice and study straight ahead jazz, but i also play fusion, rock fusion shredding and alt/prog rock). With that purchase I will be getting a notable discount on an amp if i buy it all together.

First thing that comes to my mind, get a fender tube amp. the one I like the most, the Deluxe doesnt have that much headroom but sounds great. or maybe it does have enough headroom. any thoughts??? Twin seems too big and sounded 'boxy' to me.

In the store, next to the deluxe was a bogner duende and shiva. They sounded great. However im not sure what bogner's rep is for jazz music and also im concerned that theyre not as transparent as a fender deluxe. In any case beautiful amps and really great and fendery sounding cleans. The bogner shiva 60 watt 6l6 112 combo amp would be twice as much money as the deluxe which is fine especially since it has great gain on tap which is cool but like i said im not sure how it will react to semihollow/hollow guitars for straight ahead jazz. Also they are or seem to be heavy. 68-71 lbs.

So I thought i would see if anyone has any experience with these type of amps and could recommend to me the most convenient and logical route to take.

just fyi what im using now: the epiphone archtop, into a polytone. and for rock music i use a schecter into a mesa boogie dual rectifier, and i also have a fender blues jr which is not loud enough not enuf headroom for jazz so i want to get rid of it. I have a 212 mesa cab obviously so that can be used as an extension for anything i buy. Ive also looked at some of those jazzkat and henriksen amps and heads.... any thoughts on that route? I mean a head could be good i can just use it with the mesa cab and not have any problems with headroom. might be a bit dark sounding but they look nice.

anyways Im just looking for an amp that sounds good and is very portable for gigging and if it is versatile than thats a plus.... man those bogners are really nice i just need some evidence for me to decide that im going to spend all that money on a jazz amp that sounds good for rock.... as opposed to buying a just rock amp that has a good clean tone, which i have in the dual rectifier which i would never bring to a jazz gig. too heavy, half stack is too much crap to carry, too loud and the tone is not transparent enough.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-trauma
Quote by guitarted
Roland Jazz Chorus, save a lot of money.

GREAT amp.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
A Jazz Chorus or a Deluxe Reverb would be great imo. I'm a jazz guitarist myself, and also like PRS cleans. The Sweet 16 might not have enough headroom for you though, and the others are quite expensive. Maybe try to play a PRS 30 amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Shiva fo sho. I love that amp. Great cleans and a great distortion tone that's great for fusion IMO, although maybe a bit too Marshally for straight ahead jazz it's passable. I'd also look at the Boogie Mark V, another favorite of mine for cleans and fusion lead tones and IMO, better suited towards straight ahead jazz. Maybe if you can find one, a used Bruno Cow Tipper 45 or 90 or possibly an Alessandro Italian.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I don't have any personal experience with Bogner amps, but I know that they're used alot with rock and hard rock, so if you can get a great clean tone that you like out of it, then you'll also have no problem getting a more rock tone.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
One of the best clean tones I've ever heard was a really nice hollowbody into a Fender Deluxe.
seeing as your looking like you want to spend some money, look into a matchless. greatest clean tones i have ever heard. i own the spitfire and the fender twin and deluxe reverbs don't even come close to it. even though it is 15W it has lots of headroom. nothing beats beautiful class A tone.
Quote by joe_k
seeing as your looking like you want to spend some money, look into a matchless. greatest clean tones i have ever heard. i own the spitfire and the fender twin and deluxe reverbs don't even come close to it. even though it is 15W it has lots of headroom. nothing beats beautiful class A tone.

When it comes to jazz or da blues... I think Matchless are unmatched for their tone (sorry for the pun).
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The delux would be good, try the twin reverb again…you might fall in love with it. The Jazz Chorus would also be good, and it's on the cheaper end. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest trying a Mesa Lonestar-lovely cleans and its pretty versitle
^ the lonestar does have some sexy cleans but i'm guessing if the TS sets up the second channel with reverb on the twin nicely he will probably fall in love with it for jazz. The lonestar is definately up there as an amazing amp though.