Page 1 of 2
Most of us at one point have made a stupid mistake, whether its handling our gear, using it uncautiously, or so on. We've all done something thats made us say something along the lines of FMG (**** my gear/guitar), and I want to find out what you guys have to say.

For example, back in July, i was getting ready for a gig, and i was practicing with my band in a small room near the stage. We were about an hour early. I'm a big fan of pinch harmonics and dives, and I love to hear them fly. I was in the midst of an awesome 3rd fret High-E string harmonic divebomb, when for some reason, my entire half stack blew. I tried the best I could to fix it, but it was totaled, completely. I talked to the staff in the place, who said they would look for a good amp to back me up for my performance. They were able to find ONE amp I could use. I said ok without looking at it, and so they set it up on stage with the rest of my band's gear. It was finally time to get on stage and get that crowd headbanging.

It's really hard to headbang to some awesome metal music when the guitarist is playing through a Flame-Pink, Hello Kitty-painted half stack. FMG.

(This is a true story)

Now, why don't you try?
broke string on my guitar an hour before a show, had to play a squier for the show. not too bad, and im quite lucky the string didnt actually break during the show
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Having your low A unravel in the middle of the "Dead or Alive" solo. You know, since like the whole solo is on it...

That gig sucked. The mixer kept overheating, super smoky, and I broke my high E on the song before the last song in the last set.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by enselmis
Are you kidding???

You have no idea what I would give for a pink Hello Kitty halfstack. That would have neem the most badass show of all time!!!

i know.. i said it would be hard to headbang, not that it wasn't totally badass :P
I'm surprised it's not on youtube.
Last gig we played, I broke my Epiphone Les Paul's A string in the second song, borrowed a Gibson SG off someone in another band, except he'd broken the headstock twice, so the neck could only cope with the tension of 8s , so third song with that and I broke the high E string. Borrowed an Epiphone Explorer off someone in another band and... well... I just looked like a tool playing it.
I'm yet to break a string during a show, but karma is probably out to get me. It'll only be a matter of time
Quote by Alex B.
I'm yet to break a string during a show, but karma is probably out to get me. It'll only be a matter of time

Yeah my first time and I break two in the same gig. To make matters even more annoying, earlier than day I was looking at a pack of new strings thinking "Maybe I should restring for the gig..."
Last Christmas I got a gift card to put towards an amp purchase. I ordered the amp sometime mid January, waited a week for it to come and then while tuning up my guitar to play on it the strap fell off. My guitar took a 3 foot drop face down onto concrete. Broken headstock among other chips and dents. Didn't have any money to pay to get it fixed so I was guitarless with a brand new amp just collecting dust for a month.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Last Christmas I got a gift card to put towards an amp purchase. I ordered the amp sometime mid January, waited a week for it to come and then while tuning up my guitar to play on it the strap fell off. My guitar took a 3 foot drop face down onto concrete. Broken headstock among other chips and dents. Didn't have any money to pay to get it fixed so I was guitarless with a brand new amp just collecting dust for a month.

How did you cope with the anxiety?
Quote by Alex B.
Most of us at one point have made a stupid mistake, whether its handling our gear, using it uncautiously, or so on. We've all done something thats made us say something along the lines of FMG (**** my gear/guitar), and I want to find out what you guys have to say.

For example, back in July, i was getting ready for a gig, and i was practicing with my band in a small room near the stage. We were about an hour early. I'm a big fan of pinch harmonics and dives, and I love to hear them fly. I was in the midst of an awesome 3rd fret High-E string harmonic divebomb, when for some reason, my entire half stack blew. I tried the best I could to fix it, but it was totaled, completely. I talked to the staff in the place, who said they would look for a good amp to back me up for my performance. They were able to find ONE amp I could use. I said ok without looking at it, and so they set it up on stage with the rest of my band's gear. It was finally time to get on stage and get that crowd headbanging.

It's really hard to headbang to some awesome metal music when the guitarist is playing through a Flame-Pink, Hello Kitty-painted half stack. FMG.

(This is a true story)

Now, why don't you try?

What was the amp in question?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I originally was going to play through my Peavey Valveking half stack + vox pedal board, but ended up using that hello-kitty modded marshall half stack. it didnt sound that bad, but it was a turnoff for me.
Quote by Alex B.
I originally was going to play through my Peavey Valveking half stack + vox pedal board, but ended up using that hello-kitty modded marshall half stack. it didnt sound that bad, but it was a turnoff for me.

If it ain't a MG100... I'd play the brootalz through that cat.

All you needed was the Hello Kitty Squire to take the mick.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
My band was just getting serious and the other guitarist bought a Marshall 8100. You can only find these things on eBay, and i had just got the money for one. I had it shipped to his house so that it wouldnt be outside since I had left for vacation. He called me halfway through my vacation to tell me that it had arrived but something was wrong...The guy who I bought it off had put it in a box 3 times teh size of the amp and just threw in a piece of bubble wrap. The entire amp was out of the enclosure and I had to pay $200 to get it fixed, but that wasn't for another 3-4 months. FMG
I posted a thread on here years ago asking if the Fender FM212R was any good (when I was a noob), and all the replies said it was great. So I bought one, and when it showed up I found it it was a big pile of crap. FMG.

GG&A has come on a long way since then lol
Used to have a crappy pedalboard full of crappy pedals...all connected with crappy cables. Before one of our last gigs...our drummer went to the music shop to buy stuff for the gig...extra sticks, etc....asked if we needed anything else...she suggested extra cables...because you never know when one will fail. I said no thanks. Needless to say, one failed...AFTER soundcheck...my pedalboard ****ed up.

to me... to my former drummer.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 18, 2009,
I'd sound checked and everything was going great, I was pretty impressed with my shiny new pedals and les paul. Then after soundcheck things went horribly wrong. I plugged in as we were being announced and in front of everyone there had to ask the announcer to keep talking because something wasn't working. Turns out my EQ pedal failed completely and just wasn't working. At this time I'd just picked up after pulling my tendons (again) and with only just getting round to playing the LP I realized I couldn't play the thing to save my life my wrists were too stiff. Needless to say, we lost the BOTB.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
I'd sound checked and everything was going great, I was pretty impressed with my shiny new pedals and les paul. Then after soundcheck things went horribly wrong. I plugged in as we were being announced and in front of everyone there had to ask the announcer to keep talking because something wasn't working. Turns out my EQ pedal failed completely and just wasn't working. At this time I'd just picked up after pulling my tendons (again) and with only just getting round to playing the LP I realized I couldn't play the thing to save my life my wrists were too stiff. Needless to say, we lost the BOTB.

wow, it sucks that you had to lose BOTB for what could have been that. did you fix the pedal?
Quote by willT08
I own a MG15CDR

FMG.

Its not that bad....

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i thought about getting a hello kitty squire, dunno why, i am not quite aware of what hello kitty is though so it just had a kinda weird appeal to me.

my stories are kinda lame, mainly dealing with guitar strings breaking on guitars with suspension setups so the whole thing goes gloriously out of tune, bad patchcords that cut out and crackle, effects processors with power inputs that would cut out and when you plugged them back in they would go to some inappropriate default patch, and pedals where the batteries would die and i would be hunting the cuprit down to rewire around it.

i have had worse experiance with recording gear really.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
if you see one in the store, can you tell me how it plays? just curious. xD
I was thinking I didn't have any, then one came to mind suddenly. It's actually pretty funny too.

When I bought my Sovtek Small Stone it was a bit iffy to say the least. The input jack was knackered and would cut out a lot. So me and my dad cracked open the iron curtain and fitted a modern jack which worked just fine. Things worked great for a month or two at every gig I did.

Then, one gig, the other jack started crapping out just as I went into the solo on Kings of Leon - Four Kicks (great song), leading to my entire sound dying. My lead singer then takes it upon himself to start humming the guitar solo loudly over the microphone, much to everyone's amusement, as I take off my guitar and kick it across the stage (the cheap GRG) and pull on my PGM and plug it straight into the amp. I made it for the last run of the solo and got a massive applause from the crowd!

Seriously, **** That Pedal!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
I was thinking I didn't have any, then one came to mind suddenly. It's actually pretty funny too.

When I bought my Sovtek Small Stone it was a bit iffy to say the least. The input jack was knackered and would cut out a lot. So me and my dad cracked open the iron curtain and fitted a modern jack which worked just fine. Things worked great for a month or two at every gig I did.

Then, one gig, the other jack started crapping out just as I went into the solo on Kings of Leon - Four Kicks (great song), leading to my entire sound dying. My lead singer then takes it upon himself to start humming the guitar solo loudly over the microphone, much to everyone's amusement, as I take off my guitar and kick it across the stage (the cheap GRG) and pull on my PGM and plug it straight into the amp. I made it for the last run of the solo and got a massive applause from the crowd!

hah, i guess i know what pedal not to buy this christmas :P
Quote by Kurapica

I got one of those, its a pain because I can't use it with my 1 Spot. Also to use it first you have to turn it on with the color switch up and then turn the rate to about 3/4 before you can set it to the rate you want.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Alex B.
hah, i guess i know what pedal not to buy this christmas :P

When I bought it, it was 22 years old though ^^

Quote by lbj273
I got one of those, its a pain because I can't use it with my 1 Spot. Also to use it first you have to turn it on with the color switch up and then turn the rate to about 3/4 before you can set it to the rate you want.

That's really odd, you don't have to do that with mine. I'm going to make a pedal board for it later on this month I think.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Last edited by Kurapica at Oct 21, 2009,
i might get a vox pedalboard for christmas, unless there's a better one for 200 dollars.
Quote by Alex B.
wow, it sucks that you had to lose BOTB for what could have been that. did you fix the pedal?

It works fine now, it was just on that evening it refused to do anything. It was okay, I drank heavily and spoke to the really hot thrash metal guitarist from another band that lost. I tell ya girls soloing is just
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
It works fine now, it was just on that evening it refused to do anything. It was okay, I drank heavily and spoke to the really hot thrash metal guitarist from another band that lost. I tell ya girls soloing is just

hell yeah. gotta like that badass attitude they got.

what did she say to you when you were talking, or were you drinking too much to remember?
i love my fender jaguar, i really do, amazing guitar, amazing tone, amazing everything

2 problems though

1- if i strum too hard, which isn't even that hard, the low E string gets out of it's saddle (tuneomatic bridge)
2- i keep hitting the buttons when i play. the buttons are individual on/off buttons for the pickups which can be used as killswitches. i turn them off more than i turn them on, resulting in massive sound cuts on stage.

at my last gig, i had 2 guitars. because you always have to bring a backup, right?
first i played with my heavily modded strat copy, which also has a new pickguard (tortoise shell on black, beautiful) but the volume knob is dangerously close to the pickups, so everytime i plucked my strings, i lost a bit of volume.
i thought it was annoying, so i changed guitar
only to realise that the other one was the jaguar.

i'm not taking these 2 together again XD
Last edited by Darkflame at Oct 21, 2009,
What kind of gig were you at?

I usually bring 2 floyd rose/tremolo bridge guitars, and 2 tune-o-matic bridge guitars to my gigs, but luckily i've never broken a string in the middle of a song.

Problems like the one you had really suck, it keeps me from ever palm muting my e or b strings.
Last edited by Alex B. at Oct 21, 2009,
i know what you mean, annoying little things like that.. its like guitarists' OCD.
i also have a habit of checking my tuning after every song, sometimes in the middle of it, and that really bothers me.
^same here
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
my pic up selector switch used to be loose on my squier so i would have no sound if i hit it, my neck PUP was fried at one gig so every song had to be on my bridge which wasn't bad because we decided to drop the song that needed the neck PUP but still i took it apart and changed everything thinking about doing it again soon actually
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
^my blue pacifica 012 does that, friggin pickup selector
also, for the tuning, i dont check it enough, which means i always end up out of tune lol
oh and also, we played for a BOTB too once, i had a keyboard and my guitars and pedals and we were supposed to play 25 minutes, and we had 5 mins to set up... it took me at least 10-12 mins because of the effects loop, the keyboard, everything... people were starting to be pissed at us lol
and we made it through anyways, we went to round 2 even though we had no crowd that came for us haha
Man...

what kind of pedals were you using that took you that long?
[img]http://media.techeblog.com/elephant/ul/10519-450x-altoids_2.jpg[/img]
Quote by Darkflame
too long to type

[/badphonepicture]

toanz suckage.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Page 1 of 2