What kind of KT88's does Billy Corgan use with his Marshall JCM 800? Thanks
Probably something NOS like Genelex or some new production EATs. I can't imagine him using anything less than that with his budget.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
for a second i thought he had a signature tube...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
for a second i thought he had a signature tube...

me to. I was like
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Probably won't matter, tubes aren't THAT huge to your sound, especially the brand name.

Just get some JJ KT-88's and you'll be fine.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
Probably won't matter, tubes aren't THAT huge to your sound, especially the brand name.

Just get some JJ KT-88's and you'll be fine.

Different brands of tubes can sound very different from one another. And tubes are very important to your sound - the model of the tube pretty much determines the tone of the amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
the model of the tube pretty much determines the tone of the amp.

Have to disagree completely with that.

Anyway, this is sort of like those people who ask what kind of pick somebody uses- chances are it's not going to get you any closer to the sound, and it appears a little bit mental.
Quote by Roc8995
Have to disagree completely with that.

Anyway, this is sort of like those people who ask what kind of pick somebody uses- chances are it's not going to get you any closer to the sound, and it appears a little bit mental.

Ok, Colin, take an amp with 6L6's and take the same amp with EL34s and tell me that the tubes aren't altering the tone.
That's not what you said. You said the model of tube determines the tone of the amp, which would mean that my marshall with 6v6s should sound closer to a deluxe reverb than a el34 plexi, which is certainly not the case.

Of course tubes alter the tone, I wouldn't argue that. Your wording was just overstating the importance of the tube type.
I agree with Colin, you can have a JTM45 with KT66s, EL34s, 5881s, KT77s, and it will still sound like a JTM45 with all the tube types.

And in the end, an EL34 still sounds like an EL34, whether it's your run of the mill JJ or a NOS Mullard. Obviously the Mullard is going to have certain qualities that the JJ does not, but it's still an EL34.
With a tube amplifier, the transformer will likely have a greater influence on the tone. Tubes count, but probably not nearly as much as many people believe. I've also noticed that a lot of people who obsess over what brand of tubes they have in their amplifier routinely play at ear-splitting volumes; thereby negating many of the tonal nuances that those handpicked tubes were supposed to provide.

This is not meant to imply that you should buy the cheapest tubes that you can find.
Quote by al112987
I agree with Colin, you can have a JTM45 with KT66s, EL34s, 5881s, KT77s, and it will still sound like a JTM45 with all the tube types.
+1
Poweramp tubes have a small affect on an amps tone. It's actually something not a lot players realize. You will notice a slight change between power tube types, where as the preamp tubes will offer a larger more noticable change in an amps tone. Think of the poweramp as the heart of the amp, while the preamp is the voice.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord

Poweramp tubes have a small affect on an amps tone. It's actually something not a lot players realize. You will notice a slight change between power tube types, where as the preamp tubes will offer a larger more noticable change in an amps tone. Think of the poweramp as the heart of the amp, while the preamp is the voice.

This.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
the model of the tube pretty much determines the tone of the amp.

that kinda got me shaking my head too. then i hate it when they pull the old 'you can't tell me if you change tubes it doesn't effect the tone' thing.

colin, fatalgear, al, Noord and acdclandon have it right. i thank you for not making me type what you guys already said.

i'd like to see the average guitar player take the pepsi challenge on power tubes and tell the difference between them(POWER tubes of all things, not even preamp tubes). most people will be hard pressed to hear the difference between a el34, KT88 and a 6L6GC in my THD bivalve. i find it mainly just changes the tube saturation point than the actual tone. you'll also notice a little bit of extra low end or a mids bump, but it'll probably be more of a figment of your imagination then actual tone difference.

edit: to give some credit there are certain tubes that do change an amps voice quite a bit, mainly i am thinking el84's, but once again this has far more to do with how el84 amps have very little clean headroom than, say, an amp with el34's.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 21, 2009,