Save up enough to buy a decent tube amp. Best investment for any "beginner going intermediate" guitarist(I don't mean that as an insult).
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Tube amp if you can handle the playability of your guitar, new guitar that feels better for you if you can't.
A new amp will give you better tone
A new guitar will give you better playability
New pups will just help perfect your tone, don't switch them out yet. Especially not on a starter guitar, the woods/construction probably aren't worth investing too much on.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Most people around here would say amp. Some would say guitar. In your situation i'd say get a decent cheap starter amp and a decent new guitar. For instance, a Peavey Vypyr 15 runs about $99 and I got an Ibanez GAX70 they run about $200
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Get a better amp, the guitar in the starter pack is much better than the amp, starter pack amps are usually very bad. So get a decent tube amp.
A good amp can make a mediocre guitar sound good. A crappy amp will make a good guitar sound like crap. I vote for a good amp first then save for the guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Save ..... All I can say is there are some beastly Tube amps coming at NAMM in January, and for beastly prices
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by Calvero
Save up enough to buy a decent tube amp. Best investment for any "beginner going intermediate" guitarist(I don't mean that as an insult).

+1

Dont buy a gibson sg and run it through a 10 w ibanez amp ... it will sound terrible.

Save up for a decent tube amp that will last through a couple of guitars...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
+1

Dont buy a gibson sg and run it through a 10 w ibanez amp ... it will sound terrible.

Save up for a decent tube amp that will last through a couple of guitars...

Just for the record, I have the amp pack with the 15 w amp...if that makes much of a difference (though i doubt it does.....)
It doesn't I guess the guys here are right, go tube amp. Blackstar HT-5 Is mentioned alot around here
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
If your mostly concerned with your sound then a new amp would probably be the best investment.

However if the playability of the guitar is the main issue then a new guitar is in order
(although i've found that for that cheap price range Ibanez tend to be the best of the bunch in terms of playability.
+1

A lot of this is based on wants not needs. Do whatever is appropriate for your NEEDS. Boomjosh put the theory quite succinctly.
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
Both. A good tube amp is not going to get much out of that starter guitar, while a great guitar will sound like hairy ass through a rubbish amp. You basically need to be upgrading both sides of your equipment.

It would probably be worth (saving up more money, then) buying a good, small wattage amp (there have been good recommendations here like the Blackstar HT5 and Vyprs) and then a decent mid-range guitar.

The better guitar will help your playability and enjoyment, and putting it through a good amp will bring the best out of it.

I know that's essentially a cop out but i really think that would be best for you.
with what you have now, you could really go either way. i started with a squier and a behringer gmx210 and got a new guitar before new amp. had the guitar for years before i got a new amp. but i dont think a beginner should really go from an ibanez starter pack to a gibson sg. an epi g-400 would play pretty good. and for the price of a gibosn sg you could get a g-400 and a decent tube amp.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
u actually wont benefit from buying a tube unless u play gigs, id look at solid state amps if i were u, but if u feel like u absolutely need a tube buy a blackheart half stack
Quote by flanders_91
with what you have now, you could really go either way. i started with a squier and a behringer gmx210 and got a new guitar before new amp. had the guitar for years before i got a new amp. but i dont think a beginner should really go from an ibanez starter pack to a gibson sg. an epi g-400 would play pretty good. and for the price of a gibosn sg you could get a g-400 and a decent tube amp.

Thing is if im going to upgrade guitars i want one that i can "grow into" in terms of skill. Not one that fits me now that i have to upgrade soon.
Definitely new guitar first.

My reason is-

Having a crap Ibanez WILL turn you off playing guitar. I think a better investment right now for you would be to get something that you ENJOY playing. Sure an amp will make you sound better, but i can tell you right now that a guitar will satisfy you more. Its not like you have a good enough ear to tell the difference in sound anyways (no offence).

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Definitely new guitar first.

My reason is-

Having a crap Ibanez WILL turn you off playing guitar. I think a better investment right now for you would be to get something that you ENJOY playing. Sure an amp will make you sound better, but i can tell you right now that a guitar will satisfy you more. Its not like you have a good enough ear to tell the difference in sound anyways (no offence).

He makes a good point, though I reccomend the forementioned Epiphone G-400 as a Gibson SG through a starter amp would be a crime. After settling on a nice new guitar though, satrt saving for a nice tube amp around $400 - $600.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
ive started looking @ vox amps:

either the valvetronic vt15 or 30.

Do you think i need the 30 or just the 15?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
Quote by IronMaiden76
Just out of curiosity, do you like the Ibanez?

I really like the thin neck. I have played a friend's strat and i much prefer the ibanez neck. but, i do like it, plays fairly well in comp to the fender. (obviously not as good but @ least it doesnt suck in comp )
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White)

Line 6 Spider IV 75w

Digitech Whammy Pedal

Dunlop Crybaby

Boss DS-1

Ibanez Jumpstart Metal Guitar

Ibanez Jumpstart 15w amp
well, if you like it.... a metaphor i once heard used describing guitars is "just because the person down the table is eating filet mignon, and it might be excellent, doesnt mean i dont want spaghetti and meatballs"
dont worry about the price, play what you can play well on
^^^ I just noticed that. I wonder what he ended up getting...
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.