I recently picked up a Univox hi-flier phase 1 custom. It is fantastic. The only problem I'm having is when I run it through my DS-1, and turn it on, I get an earshattering screech from my tube amp (Vox AC4TV).

I can only play through the pedal if I have the distortion and level turned down to like 9 o'clock (they are both usually on 3 o'clock), but there is no point because I lose all my tone at those settings. Alternatively, I turn down the amp volume to basically nothing, but then I lose all my clean volume.

I changed out the battery in the DS-1 three times thinking that was the problem. Nope, made no difference.

Are the pickups in my guitar too hot thing or something? Is my amp busted? Using the neck instead of the bridge pickup does not fix the problem. I have a mustang with hot rails in the bridge and this problem has never happened to me before using the exact same gear.
Last edited by mt21227 at Oct 20, 2009,
just cause you don't get any help on the last thread you made on the same topic, doesn't mean you make another
*reported*
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I should also add that im standing a good 5 yards away not even facing the amp
I'll leave this one open and close the other. Please stick to the one thread per topic rule.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
First; nice find!

I expect the pickups are microphonic, and to use them at high gain/volume levels you're going to have to have them wax-potted. I'm loathe to give a full explanation of the problem in every thread, but basically it involves tiny vibrations inside the pickup being amplified. Dipping the pickup in wax seals down everything tight so it can't vibrate.

It's easy enough to pot pickups yourself at home (I just melt a few candles and a bit of beeswax, in an old tin can floating in a pan of
hot water), though if you're uncomfortable with DIY guitar repair any competent luthier should be able to do the job .
Interesting! That makes sense. The p90s on this guitar are plastic though, will they melt in the wax?

Quote by kyle62
First; nice find!

I expect the pickups are microphonic, and to use them at high gain/volume levels you're going to have to have them wax-potted. I'm loathe to give a full explanation of the problem in every thread, but basically it involves tiny vibrations inside the pickup being amplified. Dipping the pickup in wax seals down everything tight so it can't vibrate.

It's easy enough to pot pickups yourself at home (I just melt a few candles and a bit of beeswax, in an old tin can floating in a pan of
hot water), though if you're uncomfortable with DIY guitar repair any competent luthier should be able to do the job .
Last edited by mt21227 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by mt21227
Interesting! That makes sense. The p90s on this guitar are plastic though, will they melt in the wax?

That could possibly pose a problem depending on the plastic - you might have to find a way of removing the covers...