OK, so I have been playing guitar for 2 years and got a good deal with one of my dad's friends when I got my guitar and amp. We were able to buy both for 250$. The amp has been lasting well but I think it is about time for an upgrade. Unfortunately I know absolutely NOTHING about gear upgrades and so I have no idea what I am looking for ........ That being said if the type of music I play can help with a decision then I mainly play a few different types of metal but I also play classic rock, hard rock, and other types of rock. So sorry for the little bit of information I have given... hopefully somebody can help.

tl;dr I'm getting a new amp and I have no idea what kind to get
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!

And I enjoy Katy Perry's music.

I swear to god nobody better sig this or else imma kill them
well you want a decent tube amp because you want good distorted tones for those styles, youll also want something versatile, whats your budget, are you willing to go used, and where do u live, as that can change the price dramatically
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Budget?
is used an option?
ss/tube preferences?
what type of situation will you be playing it in?

Quote by bananahammock
well you want a decent tube amp because you want good distorted tones for those styles

not necessarily, one of the best metal amps I've ever herd was solid state, and unless he is planing on gigging with a high wattage amp and has a huge budget, a tube metal amp is quite too much
He'd be better off with a solid state unless he is looking to spend upwards of $550
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 20, 2009,
AS the others have mentioned.

Also, a list of gear you have and reference tones of bands you want to get would help.

Altho, based on what I read... a Peavey Classic 30 with a good OD sounds just about right for you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Could I get a good amp between 200-300$? I'm not currently in a band, so there doesn't look to be any gigging in the future.
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!

Quote by ragingkitty
AS the others have mentioned.

Also, a list of gear you have and reference tones of bands you want to get would help.

Altho, based on what I read... a Peavey Classic 30 with a good OD sounds just about right for you.

bands would definitely help
idk about the classic 30, it's a good amp but it might not have the gain level he is looking for

Peavey transtube are good amps that might suit your needs, also randall has some good amps but until we get more info it's kinda hard to suggest something
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
If you could stretch a $50... you can get a Blackheart Little Giant for new

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack-773143-i1323511.gc

Its a decent amp for rock and blues. A high gain OD should get you into metal territory... otherwise a good distortion will do metal tones on it just as well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
As for bands... I am a big fan of Metallica and Slayer, although the tones on some of Metallica's albums seem a bit bad with the production they got but just for a general idea.
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!

these should suit your needs
I'd only get one of the higher wattage ones if you thought you might be jamming with friends and a drummer or find yourself in the occasional gig or something or you just like to disturb the neighbors a lot

Peavey Bandit
Peavey Envoy
Randall RG75
Randall RX V2XM
Quote by justinb904
these should suit your needs
I'd only get one of the higher wattage ones if you thought you might be jamming with friends and a drummer or find yourself in the occasional gig or something or you just like to disturb the neighbors a lot

Peavey Bandit
Peavey Envoy
Randall RG75
Randall RX V2XM

That Peavey Bandit looks nice... I think I might have found my next amp

Thank you very much
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!