Page 1 of 2
Just an interesting point of discussion. Most players go through a large change of some sort through their career regardless of their instrument; it'd be cool to know what everyone has done or gone through.

I started playing as a big hard rock kind of guy, interested in becoming some shredder who could just blaze around the fretboard. Once I started playing jazz, I evolved a great deal: I moved towards blues and rock, moved from craving an EMG-laden ESP to owning an MIA Strat, and biggest of all, went from playing exclusively with a pick to now playing mostly with my fingers.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Went from playing heavy metal to HEAVIER METAL!!!
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
my pick-holding evolved from thumb and two fingers to somewhat of a fist and now correct-ish
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Just an interesting point of discussion. Most players go through a large change of some sort through their career regardless of their instrument; it'd be cool to know what everyone has done or gone through.

I started playing as a big hard rock kind of guy, interested in becoming some shredder who could just blaze around the fretboard. Once I started playing jazz, I evolved a great deal: I moved towards blues and rock, moved from craving an EMG-laden ESP to owning an MIA Strat, and biggest of all, went from playing exclusively with a pick to now playing mostly with my fingers.

I dont know of one person that hasnt said jazz has improved their playing, including me. Jazz has greatly increased my ability and has become a small part of my style.
I think another big change was that initially I was a punk guitarist, pretty much a 3-4 chord song with a basic guitar riff kinda guy.
But then I explored metal and discovered a whole new set of techniques and I probably progressed the most at that point. Tremolo picking, sweeping, soloing and arpeggios all became part of my style early in my guitar playing.
My style is always evolving and I'm always finding ways to change how I play to better myself and broaden my horizons.
Buying my RG was the biggest change for me. Everything just sounded so good and it fits my hand perfectly, almost as if the neck isn't there. It's just a perfect match for me and it's helping me improve my playing a lot. I can't think of another guitar that works better with my style. I'm selling my strat to get another one with and I'm putting different pickups in them.
I started with easy classical stuff on an acoustic. Then I discovered Led Zeppelin (for some reason no adult in my life had ever introduced me to them, I was channel surfing and The Song Remains the Same was on). Haven't looked back since.
I started going from rock to more bluesy stuff after I got into some Hendrix and then I started finger picking more often after learning Bron-Yr-Aur and Tears In Heaven. Been playing my acoustic a lot lately lol.
Going from 6-string to 7-string, then going from 7-string standard tuning to 7-string open B tuning (F# B F# B F# B D#). Soon I'll be going to 8-string standard tuning.

Also style-wise, I've gone from terrible stereotypical metal playing to a more jazz-based, chord theory-laden style. My leads have gone from wannabe wank to a jazzier kind of style.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by summguy
my pick-holding evolved from thumb and two fingers to somewhat of a fist and now correct-ish

haha i held my pick like that for 2 years and decided i needed to correct it. it took a while to get used to it but once i got the hang of it, i noticed a huge difference when i held the pick "the correct way" and it became much easier overall to play guitar.
Going from brutal to MORE BRUTAL!!!

Quote by Phazon

Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Oct 20, 2009,
Quote by Phazon

You have humored me, and for that, you shall receive...

... a lolstack

Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Honestly, my biggest change was when I started my band this year. When I started learning guitar, I had no intention of playing anything other than pop-rock/punk songs (both my own and covers). I liked heavy music, just didn't think I'd be able to write stuff like that. So I spent a few years learning what I could of heavy music, but mainly focusing on more Foo Fighter-esque stuff. Played in a punk band then a hard rock band, both of which basically encouraged scrappy playing.

Then earlier this year, I started a band of my own which started as very grungey and loose, but having a Metallica freak as a co-guitarist inspired me to tighten up and stop being so lazy and our style changed almost immediately to an alternative metal band, which I'm very grateful for. Getting into bands like Helmet and Tool was a big thing for me too, bands that were heavy but not in the typical br00talz-metul sense of things. Helmet especially were influential to me, Page Hamilton's style is a big influence on my own. Listening to them was another thing that inspired me to not be so slack and instead attack the guitar with more precision rather than just wailing on it for the sake of it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
I pretty much went from traditional heavy/thrash to prog/neoclassical with heavy elements.
I wanted to play stuff like Green Day........

Now I like quality music like Skynyrd and Ozzy.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
well I don't really know, I've always been kinda jumpy in my style, never really spending more than a couple weeks doing the same kinda stuff. But I would have to say that playing bass and my acoustic have really changed my style. I started looking at things in a more scale related way and have really fallen in love with chords.

Also re-falling in love with black flag. It wasn't untill I started listening to them again did I really understand soloing. Like I realized that ,yes he was just playing really wierd stuff and by it self it sounds like shit. but with a band, in context, its amazing.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by I am wet
I wanted to play stuff like Green Day........

Now I like quality music like Skynyrd and Ozzy.

Good job!
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Quote by guitarmaniac182
haha i held my pick like that for 2 years and decided i needed to correct it. it took a while to get used to it but once i got the hang of it, i noticed a huge difference when i held the pick "the correct way" and it became much easier overall to play guitar.

i played for several years like that but i found i was mostly using my mid finger and my index was just resting on the pick. finally fixed that this year. i knew all along i would have to anyway. only took me about 2 weeks to get totally comfortable with just thumb and index. only thing is, now on my guitars with the volume knob really close to the bridge pup, im always bumping it because instead of making a fist, i look like this

ive started working more on soloing but its a long hard road. which is why i come here to learn as much as i can.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Well at first i used to play really shitty. Now i dont. I think it was a pretty big change for me.

EDIT: I also whent through the thumb + 2 fingers, fist pick hold too.
I must be the only person here whose playing became intentionally simplified over the years. Seriously, I used to be all "eff yeah metallica rush dream theater and stuff" but now I can't really stand any of those bands and fall back to stuff like Pain Of Salvation and Meshuggah and Devin Townsend.
When I started out I only picked with my fingers, which I'm very grateful for because many guitarists in my area are now trying to learn how. But after about 6 months of playing my friends made me use a pick.

Other than that I went from being a metal guitarist to a Pearl Jam/Hendrix/Gilmour type guitarist who focuses more on importance of notes and less on speed.

...and I like singing
No means maybe
Hmmm growing up on thrash metal and N.W.O.B.H.M. when I first got into music to being a 80s pop/soft rock/adult contemporary afficianado.

WTF happened to me I will never know...
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by Phazon

Lol +1.

I play all sorts of metal, I go from playing soft Metallica to t3h br00talz of In Flames/Dethklok/etc/etc
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
^^^what in flames songs do you know? ive tried to learn a few and especially on their most recent two albums, its the style id like to get really good at, but most of it is still a little too quick for me to do it cleanly. you should check out The Haunted album rEVOLVEr. its some of the fellas from at the gates, i think both guitarists and the bassist?

Quote by travislausch
I must be the only person here whose playing became intentionally simplified over the years. Seriously, I used to be all "eff yeah metallica rush dream theater and stuff" but now I can't really stand any of those bands and fall back to stuff like Pain Of Salvation and Meshuggah and Devin Townsend.

you went from dream theater BACK to meshuggah? haha nice. actually, now that i think about it, i kinda have too in that i listen to mesh a lot more than dth. its no fun playing dth covers because there's so much more to the songs than the rhythm gtr. *EDIT: i can only play a few songs anyway

hell its no fun tuning my seven DOWN to E and attempting meshuggah covers on waaaay slack strings

Devin Townsed is awesome! i cant wait for Addicted!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by SYLrules88
you went from dream theater BACK to meshuggah? haha nice.

Pound for pound, Meshuggah's music is simpler than Dream Theater's. At least there's some semblance of structure (as in, tempos don't change often, keys aren't changing every other section, and there's generally only one guitar solo per song). It's texturally complex stuff, and has that complex neo-jazz chromaticism, but even so, it's simpler to comprehend than DT. But then, I consider polymeters and chord theory to be pretty natural.

And Devy was the inspiration for the open B tuning, which was only a very recent thing. I'm only working on writing my first tune in it right now.
When I started using my little finger I guess, but now I can't play anything without my little finger doing something.

Also I guess when I change tuning I have a completely different style, in Open C I'm a different guitarist to when I'm in Open G or Standard.
Started at learning metallica, then trivium, parkway drive, lamb of god, canibal corpse, children of bodom, learnt 2 scaled, learnt 6 chords, more bodom.
we all know it takes a REAL man to hate some one BETTER THAN YOU
Rediscovering chords, and learning some chord theory has really changed my style. I started off playing any old thing, then getting in to shred. But after finding the style of music I really want to play my style changed. It's now like some bizzare threesome between Robert Smith, Mikael Akerfeldt and John Petrucci, all of them drunk and chained upside down at the ankles.
But it sounds good.
It's easy to see a switch in my playing style if you look at the guitars that I own. The first two were metal guitars and now I play more moderate guitars. These days, I play with a band or two and like to play indie/alternative stuff, all with some nice guitar work, obviously.

I've become obsessed with bands like Libertines, The Smiths, Radiohead, Blur etc. All great bands with some great guitar work. I found that metal just got a little stale for me.

Still like rock etc, but usually only knock out some tracks when I'm practising, just for technique, like.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I went from doom metal to thrash metal.
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Found the Hardest Thing About My Styles Changing Was From Playing Just Scales and Chords and making Stuff up to playing metal and now if you ask me a chord ill look back at you blankly and suggest a metal song.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Quote by Kevy Absolution

exactly this, exactly.
I started as a pop-punk player, then I shifted to hard rock, then I shifted to some odd combination of Blues, Rock, metal, and instrumentals.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
When I was introduced to jazz fusion by a family friend, I stopped trying to shred as fast as I can, I worked more on theory, phrasing, and chord based playing. Its also made me a calmer person.
dude i had it vice versa, i always wanted to play calmer style but eventually turned out a rocker, i was probs tops in finger playing but now i suck just have to use pick now...='(

sad that i've lost the ability to fingerpick it gets u lotta chicks eh...
no particular thing has changed my style as such ive generally always had a quite simular style but listening to classial music a lot more over the last year or so has greatly influenced the way i stylise my own compostions.
Page 1 of 2