I'm looking at buying my first wah pedal. What should I look for in a pedal? How do wah pedals differ? Do I need to combine potential wah pedals with my effects pedal when I try them out?
honestly go buy a wah pedal for cheap, see if you actually want one, and than you'll decide on your sound you want in it.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^why would he just go out and buy a cheap one just to test it out. he can test them out for free at the shop and then decide without having to buy a cheap dodgy one.
Quote by joe_k
^why would he just go out and buy a cheap one just to test it out. he can test them out for free at the shop and then decide without having to buy a cheap dodgy one.

yeah but it's good to get used to it and see if you like and what you want. If he just goes out and splurge's on an expensive wah, he might not like it and take a hit on resale.

If he gets a cheap used crybaby classic or something, he can see what he doesn't like about it and go from there, hell he can even mod it himself to his liking.

EDIT: TS, if you'd like my suggestions on good wah's, I'll reccomend the budda wah, dunlop 535 (which I've owned), and the BBE wah.

Out of those three, if you're not playing high gain stuff, I'd get the BBE wah, i like it the best. The budda wah is pretty close though.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Oct 20, 2009,
get the kh95 i sold my cfh and my wylde crybaby after getting mine
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
The 535Q might be versatile, and I would probably recommend it too (I have one), but if TS only plays metal then perhaps a Weeping Demon or Crybaby from Hell would be more suited.
Since the weeping demon topic popped up again, I'd like to say something.

I own the weeping demon and it's a terrific wah. i warn you though. One of my wah's functions (the footswitch mode) malfunctioned and ibanez has NO WARRANTY for any of its pedals. So you either have to repair it yourself or send it in to a guitar tech who might be able to fix it for you.

However this lack of warranty means that, at least for me, I will not be buying Ibanez pedals ever again .
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by slickerthnsleek
The 535Q might be versatile, and I would probably recommend it too (I have one), but if TS only plays metal then perhaps a Weeping Demon or Crybaby from Hell would be more suited.

Agreed. The Dime, ZW, weeping demon and Tremonti wahs are all great for metal. I usually recommend the 535 because it can do metal...and then some. I've owned all the wahs in question in the past, but the 535 is the one that suits ALL my needs best. Best thing to do is to go try them all out...bring your guitar and try to play through the amp that you have at home (or bring it with you if need be).
I thought the dime and 535Q sounded exactly the same when i played them except the dime had the extra boost circuit, which was not worth the extra money imo. i don't play heavy music so this could be just me but i thought the ZW crybaby was horrible.

TS i would suggest a 535Q for its price and versatility but i persoanlly own and love the vox v847. if you have the money and want to splurge maybe look into RMC wahs like the wizard and picture. they are amazing but very pricey.