Page 1 of 2
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/12/hubble_space_telescope_advent.html

Isn't it amazing how small we are compared to the universe?

Discuss, space. Or anytime/thing that you felt small/makes you feel small.

inb4 inb4
If anyone wants to learn about the universe, pick up a book called Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It is probably the best book you will ever read.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by ACG
If anyone wants to learn about the universe, pick up a book called Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It is probably the best book you will ever read.

The universe is amazing to me. I'll definitely take a look at that book. What kind of stuff is in it?
It is amazing and it blows my mind knowing that there are colours that the human eye can't see so we are only seeing a fraction of what there actually is.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
The universe is amazing to me. I'll definitely take a look at that book. What kind of stuff is in it?

Basically....everything. Important discoveries made by ancient civilizations, our voyages to other planets, our future, past, present, important people and their contributions, and a lot of other things. And the way Carl Sagan writes is just amazing... seriously, get the book

Or if you don't want to read, Carl also hosted a tv series in the 80s called Cosmos, which is basically the book but in video form. It's also a really great show.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by ACG
Basically....everything. Important discoveries made by ancient civilizations, our voyages to other planets, our future, past, present, important people and their contributions, and a lot of other things. And the way Carl Sagan writes is just amazing... seriously, get the book

Or if you don't want to read, Carl also hosted a tv series in the 80s called Cosmos, which is basically the book but in video form. It's also a really great show.

+1

Im getting the book.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by ACG

Maybe when I get some free time i'll pick it up :]
It sounds like a really great read.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
It is amazing and it blows my mind knowing that there are colours that the human eye can't see so we are only seeing a fraction of what there actually is.

Isn't it weirder your cell phone sends light beams that lets you talk to other people?
You talk to people with LIGHT!
Quote by The_Clansman_
Isn't it weirder your cell phone sends light beams that lets you talk to other people?

Isn't it even weirder that 99% of everything is empty space (even us). It makes me question my existence.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
I like to fuck with drunk and/or high people by telling them to imagine a grain of sand, then a bucket of sand, then a beach then go even higher and higher and then telling them at the end that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on earth.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
Isn't it even weirder that 99% of everything is empty space (even us). It makes me question my existence.

Isn't it weirder that everything travels in waves, yet Animals don't :O
We're a bunch of microscopic dots that have the equivalent of miles upon miles between us, and those dots travel in waves, and energy is a wave.

So when we eat stuff with calories do we really eat waves?
Quote by The_Clansman_

No, you don't. Light =/= Radiowaves

And energy is not a wave. That doesn't even make sense. Waves contain energy but energy is not a wave.

And there's a lot less empty space than you'd think.
Quote by iforgot120
No, you don't. Light =/= Radiowaves

take science

Quote by iforgot120
And energy is not a wave. That doesn't even make sense. Waves contain energy but energy is not a wave.

Orly, Light energy?

Quote by iforgot120
And there's a lot less empty space than you'd think.

Again,
Quote by The_Clansman_
Isn't it weirder that everything travels in waves, yet Animals don't :O
We're a bunch of microscopic dots that have the equivalent of miles upon miles between us, and those dots travel in waves, and energy is a wave.

So when we eat stuff with calories do we really eat waves?

This one confused me a bit.

However.

Isn't it weirder that we look at life so narrowly. we are so self absorbed in what is going on in our lives that we do not even realize how huge the universe is and when we do take the time to look at the stars, its just a very, very, very small fraction of what there is. Also, it is impossible for us to comprehend how vast the universe actually is.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
This one confused me a bit.

My plan worked Bunch of randomness was thrown in

Quote by Fenderhippie69

Isn't it weirder that we look at life so narrowly. we are so self absorbed in what is going on in our lives that we do not even realize how huge the universe is and when we do take the time to look at the stars, its just a very, very, very small fraction of what there is. Also, it is impossible for us to comprehend how vast the universe actually is.

I refuse to admit defeat!

Isn't it weirder there are things smaller than the microscopic dots we call by my name?

. Billions could fit in that period, and there are billion of tiny things in there.

There are more atoms in you than there are dollars in the national debt, and there are infinitely more times of that inside of those things.
Quote by The_Clansman_
My plan worked Bunch of randomness was thrown in

I refuse to admit defeat!

Isn't it weirder there are things smaller than the microscopic dots we call by my name?

. Billions could fit in that period, and there are billion of tiny things in there.

There are more atoms in you than there are dollars in the national debt, and there are infinitely more times of that inside of those things.

As do I.

Isnt it weirder that an atom's are so small that there are trillions inside of everything yet a single one can case death and destruction on a massive scale and few of them used in a harmful way could result in the end of all human civilization as we know it.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
As do I.

Isnt it weirder that an atom's are so small that there are trillions inside of everything yet a single one can case death and destruction on a massive scale and few of them used in a harmful way could result in the end of all human civilization as we know it.

Isn't it weirder that we could go on saying this for the rest of our lives, and still have more to say?

Anyways, Isn't it insanely weird that all life stems from non living things, that we have elements in us from a star. A Mother elphanting star! We are all little stars then >.>

No matter how much we go on, there is always more to say, isn't it insane to think that tomorrow we'll have exponentially more information, but we'll be even further away from knowing everything? The more we know, the less we know. Some paradox
Quote by The_Clansman_
Isn't it weirder that we could go on saying this for the rest of our lives, and still have more to say?

Anyways, Isn't it insanely weird that all life stems from non living things, that we have elements in us from a star. A Mother elphanting star! We are all little stars then >.>

No matter how much we go on, there is always more to say, isn't it insane to think that tomorrow we'll have exponentially more information, but we'll be even further away from knowing everything? The more we know, the less we know. Some paradox

I like you sir, Im sending you a friend request after I make this post.

Isn't it weird that how there is no such thing as a complete thought, everything is a paradox. That being said is a complete thought which in turn disproves what I just said.... or does it?

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
I like you sir, Im sending you a friend request after I make this post.

Isn't it weird that how there is no such thing as a complete thought, everything is a paradox. That being said is a complete thought which in turn disproves what I just said.... or does it?

From a neutral standpoint, I would say there is no winner. But we can all enjoy some stars outside, knowing that in each spec of the sky we're looking at, even as big as a period, there are millions or stars, galaxies, everything. Staring into space is humbling, makes you take a step back and think about things. Maybe politicians should have meeting at night instead. But then I think they'd lie about stars they don't really see and everything bad would happen

tl;dr Lots of letters making words
Quote by The_Clansman_

From a neutral standpoint, I would say there is no winner. But we can all enjoy some stars outside, knowing that in each spec of the sky we're looking at, even as big as a period, there are millions or stars, galaxies, everything. Staring into space is humbling, makes you take a step back and think about things. Maybe politicians should have meeting at night instead. But then I think they'd lie about stars they don't really see and everything bad would happen

tl;dr Lots of letters making words

Yes. lol

I gotta go to bed. I'll philosophize with you later.

Resistance is victory.

Do not sit idly by.
Quote by The_Clansman_

take science

Orly, Light energy?

Again,

??? What science are you taking???

Energy is a scalar quantity. Waves are propagation through space and time that usually carry energy. Energy is not a wave

We'll use your "light energy" as an example. Light propagates through space in the form of a wave (and a particle, but that's irrelevant). Light "contains" energy, not because it's a wave but because it has a velocity (although, admittedly, this is a poor example because in this case E=hf).

And re that last point: this is a hazy field, but I'm a firm believer of dark matter taking up what most people believe to be empty space.

:EDIT: I missed a point. Light =/= radiowaves. Both are EM waves but light refers to the portion that's visible to the naked human eye (wavelength of ~400-700nm). Radiowaves refers to EM waves with a wavelength of roughly >1000m.
Last edited by iforgot120 at Oct 21, 2009,
Mountain Dew is the best soda ever made
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I just happen to be a fan of space myself, scientifically and emotionally(if you know what i mean)

also, 1st post
The universe is such an amazing thing to research, alot of the stuff really makes you think thoroughly and once you've come to a conclusion, there's something out there that just destroys all the conclusions you've made.
I've been interested in astronomy for about 15 years. When I saw the rings around Saturn for the first time I was hooked. Below is a pic of my daughter at a star party we attended in Missouri sitting close to my little 10" Dob. We met a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people that night that helped point out a lot of interesting deep space objects that I would have otherwise missed. If you've never done it, try to go to a star party, you'll love it.

This guy had a 16" Dob:
aka, Possum Head on /b
if light is a photon (meaning made up of waves and particles) then how can it travel through the lifeless void of space, where particles can't travel?

seriously how? or did I say something wrong
Quote by Stoney93
if light is a photon (meaning made up of waves and particles) then how can it travel through the lifeless void of space, where particles can't travel?

seriously how? or did I say something wrong

Light can act as both a wave and particle at the same time.

WOOOOOO *flails arms*
Quote by XianXiuHong
Light can act as both a wave and particle at the same time.

WOOOOOO *flails arms*

so when it is travelling in space, it's acting as a wave? this shit is so damn confusing, but so damn interesting!
Quote by Stoney93
so when it is travelling in space, it's acting as a wave? this shit is so damn confusing, but so damn interesting!

It acts as both at the same time, I think, I don't know so much about light, sorry.
Quote by iforgot120
*argument with theclansman about light energy vs. radiowaves*

I'm not sure who's right here, but isn't it weirder that the images and information on your computer screen is a series of 1s and 0s transmitted in the form of light down fibre optic...fibres? the data > light >back to data. HOW?
I think there's two certain people in this thread need to get a room

having said that, I love this thread
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by n2dabloo
I've been interested in astronomy for about 15 years. When I saw the rings around Saturn for the first time I was hooked. Below is a pic of my daughter at a star party we attended in Missouri sitting close to my little 10" Dob. We met a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people that night that helped point out a lot of interesting deep space objects that I would have otherwise missed. If you've never done it, try to go to a star party, you'll love it.

Whats ya daughters name?

/how to be creepy

On a similar, less creepy note, anyone here take chemistry at school?
I've been studying it for about a year now, I can't say I've ever found taken much interest in school, I never studied, listened in class or cared about school.

For some reason study several science subjects has completely turned that around.
I can't explain how amazing it feels, that moment when you fully understand the concept of bonding and valence theory.

Pretty much the world revolves around the transfer and sharing of electrons. amazing stuff.

edit:
Quote by Stoney93

I'm not entirely sure but... here goes

I Think, It travels as a wave, but that wave can be thought of as a particle, and assuming it's a particle, allows some concepts to be understood better.

maybe.

*Heads to wikipedia*
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Last edited by Julz127 at Oct 21, 2009,
Page 1 of 2