Page 1 of 2
I am looking for an amp that can nail the kind of heavy, thumping overdriven sound you might hear from a Soldano SLO (albeit, without the high price). It does not necessarily need to sound perfect clean; I have (by unexpected coincidence) a separate amp for cleans (not in sig). I am looking something to nail the kind of crunch you might hear here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ds71cB9pM

I am looking around 500-600 dollars, will buy used, and may have some variance on that price. I know that I might be asking for a lot, but I figure, in the market of solely-good-for-overdrive, it might be easier, since I'm not asking for a do-everything God of Rock here. I mostly just want the Soldanoish Lead/crunch tones
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Good luck...

Most modern high gain amps were modeled off an SLO but don't necessarily sound very similar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you want Soldano sound on the cheap, go to the man himself: Jet City JCA20H.

Never played one, but here's the hype:

Our keep-it-simple approach to tube amp design speaks for itself," said Michael Soldano, cofounder of the new Seattle-based company. "These new Jet City amps offer my classic Soldano tones at a killer price — I'm proud to put my name right on the front".
Last edited by Rutch at Oct 20, 2009,
I know this is weird, but a used Yamaha T100, it's based off of the SLO100. It's also made by Soldano, same everything except name, pretty much.
^^^Eeeaaaggghhrruuurglere, I dunno 'bout that...

I've played a couple T100's and had a T50 for a while (yeah, I'm kind of a Yammy fanboi), and while I stand by them being one of THE greatest most underrated amps, I just don't think they pull the sound of a SLO like they were intended.

Yamaha changed a fair amount of the circuit.

Landgraff and even Mike himself will mod these back, or at least close, to they way they were intended, but without the mods, they just can't do it. Awesome, but not SLO.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Good luck...

Most modern high gain amps were modeled off an SLO but don't necessarily sound very similar.

+1

using a slo as a "basis" and tossing $600 around is like asking for a quart of oil from a grain of sand.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
+1

using a slo as a "basis" and tossing $600 around is like asking for a quart of oil from a grain of sand.

"Doodz, I gots ta have dat DumbleZ toneZ, but my dishwashing job only payz $100 a week!"

Just playin' TS.

Seriously, somebody check these out!

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/

I don't think they've hit the dealers quite yet, at least not anything inland of the coasts.

A "friend" of mine, one of the bigger Soldano dealers East of WA, says he hasn't got any yet, but Mike's hopped up and raving about this sh!t like he just had a new baby...
I understand Rutch :P I probably could have worded the initial post more eloquently. I am mostly just short on money at the money; the new guitar (My beloved SG Classic) took a chunk out, but I've been GASing for a new amp forever, so I'm following any rabbit trail I can think of!
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Just to clarify, the JCA20H, designed by Mike Soldano himself, to sound like a Soldano (albeit at only 20 watts) is set for a street price of $299.

They've got a 100 watt head coming, no word on $ yet...
Quote by Rutch

I don't think they've hit the dealers quite yet, at least not anything inland of the coasts.

A "friend" of mine, one of the bigger Soldano dealers East of WA, says he hasn't got any yet, but Mike's hopped up and raving about this sh!t like he just had a new baby...

My store is one of their dealers, we don't have any in yet.

But I am looking forward to that day from what I just read. Thanks for the info.
Quote by gregs1020
My store is one of their dealers, we don't have any in yet.

But I am looking forward to that day from what I just read. Thanks for the info.

I'm looking forward to it too!

I'm not a huge SLO fan, but if they can make the sound for that cheap, I'll certainly look into one!

Unfortunately, the Soldano dealer by me is NOT interested!

(pssst... word is LOTS of dealers are pissin' in the soup about these things, not ordering, canceling regular Soldano orders, etc.! I can see why, if they got this Jet City thing right, it'll be hard to sell people on a $2000 upcharge for a fancy name and creme tolex... )
people will always buy on brand name. it's kept *insertnamehere* alive for years. mike's gonna be just fine.

who the fock with ears would buy half the crap out there?

just a lower level amp, squier - epiphone type line for soldano. there's a place for a right priced two channel high gainer.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 21, 2009,
No, sh!t, plus don't forget, these new chinese JC's have his name plastered all over them, and you KNOW he's takin' a nice cut for everyone they can push!

Honestly, though, I think these are gonna be a great deal, if the QC stays up and the price stays down.

Can UG handle another low wattage, low price, faux boutique bandwagon craze?!

I always forget about those T100s. If you can find an early one, the circuit is identical to an SLO, the only difference is transformers as far as I know...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I haven't read through this whole thread but IIRC 5150's were based on SLO's you can pick one up in your price range
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Are those Jet City amps gonig to be available in the UK?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
I haven't heard clips of a finished product, but if you can find a V33 they are supposedly modded to SLO specs pretty easily. The head would run you around $200 so that would leave plenty for the mod... Its worth a look.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I know the POD x3 has a preset made after that amp.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by SimplyBen
They sound awesome really looking forward to hearing one. If these live up to the hype I think we've just seen the future of the bandwagon right there

Come on! Replace the beloved 6505+112?
Quote by tubetime86
I haven't heard clips of a finished product, but if you can find a V33 they are supposedly modded to SLO specs pretty easily. The head would run you around $200 so that would leave plenty for the mod... Its worth a look.

I happen to have one and it sounds amazing! very responsive and dynamic, cuts through the mix very well.
You can also mod the v 18's to these specs (also bogner xct and even dumbel ods)
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by gregs1020
Come on! Replace the beloved 6505+112?

HAHAHAHA
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
I happen to have one and it sounds amazing! very responsive and dynamic, cuts through the mix very well.
You can also mod the v 18's to these specs (also bogner xct and even dumbel ods)

Hmm, I can't say for sure about my V33 (I have the same thing)... Haven't heard much for comparison.
Why do these threads happen? $3000 tone on a $500 budget is next to impossible to achieve realistically. I mean, we can give you a high gain amp, but dont come crying to GG&A when it doesn't sound like a SLO.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Man...I was really getting my hopes up about the Jet City Amps........then I read that they're made in China.

Think I'll wait a couple of years to see how they hold up.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Rutch

Rutch, I love you, in a VERY homosexual kind of way.

EDIT: they have a yout00b channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/JetCityAmplification
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Oct 22, 2009,
Wheel n' deal....that's what I've been doing on high-end stuff for a couple of years now.

Wheel
Deal
???
Profit!!

For instance, I bought a used Epi LP Custom Midnight edition on ebay for $500 shipped. I then noticed it was a slightly limited edition, so I posted it on craigslist for $800...well, a guy traded me a 1999 MIA Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic/Electric, and Epi LP Standard w/ Seymour Duncans for it...ya, 3 guitars for my one.

I then proceeded to trade the Telecaster for the Marshall I own now

Summary of story: I now have a $750 amp, $250 guitar, and $175 acoustic guitar basically for something i piad $500 for

just need patience

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by Guitartist
Man...I was really getting my hopes up about the Jet City Amps........then I read that they're made in China.

Think I'll wait a couple of years to see how they hold up.

Bugera's are build in China (methinks) and tbh, the first lot was very hit n miss but the current amps are pretty damn good.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by jcp42877
Wheel n' deal....that's what I've been doing on high-end stuff for a couple of years now.

Wheel
Deal
???
Profit!!

For instance, I bought a used Epi LP Custom Midnight edition on ebay for $500 shipped. I then noticed it was a slightly limited edition, so I posted it on craigslist for $800...well, a guy traded me a 1999 MIA Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic/Electric, and Epi LP Standard w/ Seymour Duncans for it...ya, 3 guitars for my one.

I then proceeded to trade the Telecaster for the Marshall I own now

Summary of story: I now have a $750 amp, $250 guitar, and $175 acoustic guitar basically for something i piad $500 for

just need patience

WTF?? Just the MIA Tele would be a great trade...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
WTF?? Just the MIA Tele would be a great trade...

I knowwww...but it all depends on what people want, and what they're willing to give.

I also landed my 5150 cab modded with Marshall hardware and Celestion Gt75s for $100

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by Slicer666
Rutch, I love you, in a VERY homosexual kind of way.

I'm sort of obligated by forum law to sig that, aren't I?
Quote by JDizzle787
Hmm, I can't say for sure about my V33 (I have the same thing)... Haven't heard much for comparison.

well are you unhappy with the tone it gives you?
What genre of music do you play?
What speakers?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
judging by the clips on soundcity's youtube page, i dont really want one anymore.

with that said, you should be able to get a perfectly useable sound out or your JSX.

edit/ never mind. im an idiot. you have satrianis guitar, not amp lol
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86

Was going to say just this. Good looks tubetime.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Why do these threads happen? $3000 tone on a $500 budget is next to impossible to achieve realistically. I mean, we can give you a high gain amp, but dont come crying to GG&A when it doesn't sound like a SLO.....

+1
Quote by chea_man
judging by the clips on soundcity's youtube page, i dont really want one anymore.

with that said, you should be able to get a perfectly useable sound out or your JSX.

edit/ never mind. im an idiot. you have satrianis guitar, not amp lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_PsQlbdYZU

Slight better demo.

And yes, the demo's on the jet city channel sound crap.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Oct 23, 2009,
Page 1 of 2