Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I've asked this question on a few different sites and nobody has given me a straight answer. I hope you guys can help

Okay so I've never really played metal or anything along those lines, but this year I joined a hardcore band that does a lot of August Burns Red covers and stuff like that. A Day To Remember....along those lines. I'm a good guitarist, but my Epiphone Dot doesn't cut it for that stuff too well.

I've got two guitars in mind for christmas and they both look pretty good.

Ibanez MTM2 - Fixed bridge, Ibanez V7 and v8 PUs. Pretty cool looking - $600
and
LTD Mh-401- Floyd Rose Special bridge, EMG 81,85, Quilted Maple. - $700

both of these guitars sound pretty nice but from the youtube vids I think the LTD sounds nicer. Could just be a better amp though....idk. I play a lot of lead so I'm looking for sustain .

Which do you think is better? Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT*

Oh also If you guys think you have a better guitar in mind under 800, I'd be glad to hear your opinion. I'm up for suggestions
Team Up
Team Up
Last edited by Circambria at Oct 21, 2009,
Go with the LTD. Better overall, and the EMG set is nice.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I'd say the ESP, you may want to floyd if you do leads. More importantly want amp are you useing?
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
The LTD has EMGs which are apparently pretty kickass for metal. But beware if you have no experience changing strings on a guitar with a Floyd Rose.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I have an Ibanez half stack and if I'm playing smaller gigs, I use a Marshall Mg50DFX
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by travislausch
The LTD has EMGs which are apparently pretty kickass for metal. But beware if you have no experience changing strings on a guitar with a Floyd Rose.

Well...I mean I know it would be hard, but these are both locking tuner guitars so I'm up for the challenge. shouldn't be that hard
Team Up
Team Up
get the LTD, but if u change tunings a lot get the LTD MH-401 NT. cuz changing tunings on a floyd rose is a pin in the arse.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by enselmis
God, am I the only person who thinks EMG's sound sterile, cold and compressed?

But isn't that what metal guitarists want?
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by enselmis

Ibanez with a change of pickups says me, but I guess I'm out voted.

No I get where you're coming from. A lot of people believe they do sound like that and suggest Blackouts for actives. However, I don't know the first thing about soldering or changing PUs so idk...
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by enselmis

The 81 sounds sterile and compressed. This is the only one I've heard that sounds compressed and sterile.

The 60 has a lot of life to it, and sounds amazing clean, one of the best I've ever heard.

I haven't tested the 85 personally, but all teh audio clips I've heard of it don['t sound compressed and sterile.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Stock, the LTD has generally better value for money.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Circambria
I have an Ibanez half stack and if I'm playing smaller gigs, I use a Marshall Mg50DFX

in my opinion you may want to look at getting different amps, i don't know about the Ibanez one, but the MG can't be very good for that type of music. Maybe look for a used Peavey 6505, i think you could probably find one for about the same price as those guitars
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by fbeckinsale
in my opinion you may want to look at getting different amps, i don't know about the Ibanez one, but the MG can't be very good for that type of music. Maybe look for a used Peavey 6505, i think you could probably find one for about the same price as those guitars

truthfully, when that OD is cranked to 10, the amp is really nasty for something Marshall makes. Some of my bandmates who are into harder stuff borrow it to play some shows with it and they all like it. I think the sounds that comes out of amps like Line 6 spiders are a little bland. I like the MG's color
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by ragingkitty
Stock, the LTD has generally better value for money.

I agree. 81/85's plus a Floyd Rose are hard to find on a guitar less than 700 bucks
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by POWERMETAL!
i say this all the time, IBANEZ! the quality control there is great, a setup and you'll be set for a good long time.

Well some things to consider about THIS Ibanez....

The Edge III bridge system....some people love it...some people seem to hate it.

Most people can't get this thing to standard or anything past D tuning because of the neck tension

It's Mick Thompsons's sig guitar...and as they say...some sigs aren't worth what they sell for

I really do like this MTM2.....but everything I'm hearing is telling me to go with ESP.

Do you have another Ibanez in mind?
Team Up
Team Up
if u go ibanez check out the ibanez s470, the pickups are a bit crap but the ZR tremolo is one of the best trem Ibanez makes. then later u can change out the pickups.

if u dont want a trem, check out ibanez rg321 with pickup change or rgr421.
Quote by holycow
if u go ibanez check out the ibanez s470, the pickups are a bit crap but the ZR tremolo is one of the best trem Ibanez makes. then later u can change out the pickups.

if u dont want a trem, check out ibanez rg321 with pickup change or rgr421.

haha thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll check them out. But I hate how every single Ibanez suggestion on the history of Earth is followed by "...with a pickup change"

lol but that's the way it is I guess
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by Circambria
haha thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll check them out. But I hate how every single Ibanez suggestion on the history of Earth is followed by "...with a pickup change"

Apart from the JEMs or Ibbys which com stock with aftermarket pups, all the stock Ibanez pups suffer from lack of definition and clarity.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Apart from the JEMs or Ibbys which com stock with aftermarket pups, all the stock Ibanez pups suffer from lack of definition and clarity.

The better way to state it is that they suffer from massive suckage.
Quote by Vlasco
The better way to state it is that they suffer from massive suckage.

That they do.

Haha... I'm just qualifying why I think the stock pups suck monkey balls.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
all those insulting the emg 81, check out kurt bellou's tone (converge), not really sterile, cold or compressed.
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
Quote by enselmis

They're supposed to be like that. They stay extremely clear with high gain because they have scooped mids (also makes them feel like they're higher output). They're compressed to give a consistent pick attack. All of those are desirable for metal. Actives don't really do anything special and these days, it's a marketing scheme. Most people don't know what actives really do, they just think they're good for metal, which is completely false. Actives are low impedance pickups. That's all active means. Most people don't need actives. And if you don't want EMG tone, you're better off with passive. Blackouts are supposed to be more organic. But if you really want organic, get passives unless you're pedalboard consists of 200 pedals or you're using a 300 foot cable.

Quote by Circambria

lol but that's the way it is I guess

Ibanez doesn't put good stock pickups in a lot of their guitars to keep costs down. Most people change pickups anyway so why force them to spend more on something they're swapping out anyway? There's no such thing as a good pickup for everyone. Plus, Dimarzio has an excellent exchange program that you can't take advantage of if the pickups are stock. Only a few specialty ones like the X series and the RG Prestiges come with good pickups.
Go for the LTD or try and find a used RG550, they are superior guitars and are really cheap on ebay or craigslist.
well i have to say get the LTD sure changes Floyd Rose Strings Are a Pain But Its About How You Play And The LTD will sound better for Leading But If you don't fancy Messing about with a Allen wrench And Potentially Messing up your finish go with a Fixed Bridge And to Be Honest I Like the Fixed Bridged Guitars More Plus Ibanez are amazingly good quality in my experience, Although I hate Ibanez Pickups I had RockFields In mine before i sold it.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Last edited by MidnightReaper at Oct 21, 2009,
GETA SCHECTER!!!! Their all really nicely made, and all between 400-1000$ Amazing to play, and they're so comfortable!
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Go for the LTD or try and find a used RG550, they are superior guitars and are really cheap on ebay or craigslist.

I thought they stopped making those. Am I wrong?
Team Up
Team Up
not sure of the US price but if you want a decent metal axe....ibanez mbm2 stay away from the mtm model i`ve played 3 and was not impressed or a mbm1 if you want the prestige neck

check the prices yourself though.
i'd go with the LTD....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by SloppyJoseph
If this is going to be your main axe, get a fixed bridge. I'd suggest a hellraiser.

I do love the sound of that hellraiser. And it looks pretty.
Team Up
Team Up
JB Brubaker of ABR tends to use Ibanez (RGA & RG fixed bridge-models) as his main axes. Of course, this doesn't set you off-limit to use other stuff. If you really want an Ibanez, check the Matt Bachand sig, it's a great guitar for its price, or check other fixed bridge models. And if you're willing to expand your budget by just a bit more, you should really take a look at the Hellraiser, or my personal favorite, the Schecter ATX Blackjack C-1. That baby comes with Black-outs. You can't go wrong with black-outs.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

The LTD seems good for the price,but I would look into some more Ibanezes besides the Mick Thompson sig. Im pretty sure both the guys from August Burns Red use Ibanez.
I would say go with the ESP, and if the EMG's just aren't your flavor, throw in some different pickups. I'm not particularly an EMG guy. So that's my two cents.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
hurry hurry hurry and call sam ash. They have alot of ltd 1000 deluxe models (EC1000, MH1000, H1001) on sale for $599 and mention that you have a $100 off coupon. I just ordered an ltd h1001 for $499, if you need the guys phone number let me know
Quote by ItWillDo
JB Brubaker of ABR tends to use Ibanez (RGA & RG fixed bridge-models) as his main axes. Of course, this doesn't set you off-limit to use other stuff. If you really want an Ibanez, check the Matt Bachand sig, it's a great guitar for its price, or check other fixed bridge models. And if you're willing to expand your budget by just a bit more, you should really take a look at the Hellraiser, or my personal favorite, the Schecter ATX Blackjack C-1. That baby comes with Black-outs. You can't go wrong with black-outs.

I looked into that MBM2 guitar and I really like the specs....but I just can't see myself liking that finish with the skull. It's too bold for me
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by Circambria
I looked into that MBM2 guitar and I really like the specs....but I just can't see myself liking that finish with the skull. It's too bold for me

I know what you mean, I'm not into skulls and br00t4l shit myself, but I'd look over it considering I really like the specs too.

And if it really bothers you that much, I've heard it's not really hard to paint a layer over the skull. Maybe some shop could do it for you?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by ItWillDo
I know what you mean, I'm not into skulls and br00t4l shit myself, but I'd look over it considering I really like the specs too.

And if it really bothers you that much, I've heard it's not really hard to paint a layer over the skull. Maybe some shop could do it for you?

I'm not really sure if I know a place that does that but it's a possibility.

I'm actually starting to listen to some of these other Ibanez reviews and some aren't bad. The RG 570 was pretty nice and I'm actually really digging on that S470 that someone suggested. That trem is ****ing amazing on that thing. I just gotta do a PU swap but I have no idea what I would be doing. Maybe Guitar Center have techs that can change PUs.
Team Up
Team Up
Page 1 of 2